Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

🐌 Fantastic Skincare: Hairmageddon looms...

(992 Posts)
botemp Tue 20-Feb-18 11:00:23

Thread 1 Thread 2 Thread 3 Thread 4 Thread 5 Thread 6 Thread 7 Thread 8 Thread 9 Thread 10
Thread 11

For those who are taking a peek and wondering what this all about, we mostly discuss a bit of advanced skincare here with a perspective of seeking out the right ingredients (rather than the latest new shiny product and all its empty promises) for our particular skin needs. Distinguishing the acid toners from the actives whilst avoiding the truly unimpressive and harmful ingredients with a hope to achieve a bit of anti-ageing, alleviate irritation and sensitivities with some idle chat in between. Newcomers are always welcome but please note the following:

Questions and asking for help on this thread is encouraged, however, we can’t give you a specific routine to follow and hope it works out for the best. There are no overnight miracles in skincare whether it be in the form of products or techniques. It’s about perseverance, understanding your skin, assessing its needs and responding to that in a diligent manner.

These threads were created to help those who want to learn for themselves. We’re a group of interested and invested skincare nuts happy to offer tea and sympathy and dole out advice. Everyone’s journey with skincare is different, what is universal and binds us is that through actually learning about the different active ingredients it helps us get to know our skin and help us adapt as it will change many times throughout our lives - with seasons, hormonal changes, ageing, genetics etc. It's in everyone's best interests to get to know their skin and to keep reviewing those changes with the confidence that comes from the gathered knowledge here. We really encourage you to spend the time reading through previous threads and linked info sheets that the many contributors have taken the trouble to share.

By no means are we experts, we're only a bunch of amateurs that can only respond by suggesting what we would do in your place, for any severe conditions please seek out professional help.

Ahem, and finally a little note on spending. I'm well aware these threads cause many to reach for their wallets and spend with wild abandon. There can sometimes be a bit of a frenzy surrounding the excitement around a newly discovered product or on the back of great improvements when someone reports back. This is all great, it doesn't however, mean everything that's a sudden miracle for one will be it for you. Usually, it's a light bulb moment for connecting the right skincare ingredient with an individual experiencing a specific problem. Take your time to mull over decisions and question whether it's right for you too. Skincare is highly individual, it's a slow game that should cost mostly in patience, input, education, and perseverance. Please don't make it cost you financially needlessly.

I am very slowly working on consolidating the gathered information from previous threads into easier to read formats but it’s slow going. I would suggest reading thread 1 and at the very least the following info sheets (provided they apply to you):

Where to Start

Basics of an Actives Routine

Skin Types vs. Skin Conditions Info Sheet

Anti-Ageing Info sheet

Adult Acne Info Sheet

NEWish since previous threads:

Understanding Which Sunscreen(s) to Buy

Do I Really Need to Wear Sunscreen Every Single Day of the Year?

A Damaged Skin Barrier - Now What?

FEBRUARY 2018: The month of February sucks. Period. We’re sick of winter and the state of our finances, some are embracing frugality (in different shapes and forms) but water bills and car maintenance are ruining our buzz. Hair appointments need to be made despite the palpitations of fear that the mere thought incites. Oh, and skin texture. As you were...

mintmagnummm Tue 20-Feb-18 11:43:04

Just signing in! Returned the Vichy eye cream and got bioderma micellar water (eye make up removal only)

EnidButton Tue 20-Feb-18 12:39:42

🐌 Hello!

SophieLion Tue 20-Feb-18 13:14:35

Hello from me too smile Nothing to report (except no new spots). Still going through the old threads.

Pupsiecola Tue 20-Feb-18 14:09:07

Thanks for the new thread Bo. Nice title grin.

botemp Tue 20-Feb-18 15:24:37

Have made an appointment for next week Thursday shock, please excuse me whilst I remain a nervous puddle until then. On the upside, that would mean I'm well hydrated, wouldn't it?

wilting, I don't know if it's an option for me but I got my facial hair professionally lasered. Took twice the amount of sessions on account of PCOS but the ingrown hairs made it unmanageable as they were so aggravating and painful, then they left behind marks for weeks. It basically looked like I had an acne beard when it wasn't acne at all. Not having to deal with that stress was life-changing, sounds stupid but it was. I had a massive reduction from the first session, after that it was just dry shaving and getting the last of the buggars out. No ingrowns from that point on.

WRT Deciem, there was a good article on it on Racked and another on the Cut
which go more into the corporate culture around Deciem. I recognise those type of setups (thankfully never had to work for, but have with those type of companies and more often than not had to cut ties as the situation was unworkable), it's not pleasant and it's really put me off them as a whole beyond the fact that their CEO seems to be having a mental meltdown.

Sophie, the general advice is not to wash your face in the shower due to higher temps and volume of water, the order when you cleanse isn't that important. I rarely shower at night but have the occasional bath, I'll do a first cleanse then bath then do a second cleanse. If I'm washing my hair in the shower it's almost impossible to keep water out, I usually count that as an AM or second cleansing, but double cleansing or morning cleansing with cleanser isn't essential to me (I veer normal/combo towards dry, the less cleansing and water exposure, the better).

Body lotions depend on whether your body has the same sensitivities. I'm fine with MO on my body but not my face, but still prefer something shea based like the Kiehl's one but that's pricier, though I don't need to use it much. Since BL is such a volume based product it's harder to get on a budget if you're avoiding things like silicones, MO, parabens (not an irritant for most but I know many try to avoid it), etc.

user, how much was the shipping for the UK on Skinprep? I was a bit disappointed that it's quite high for the EU, makes the affordability factor a bit less, especially when just ordering samples. Think I will await some feedback on here first before ordering myself on those grounds.

Pupsie, the body cleansing oils are specifically formulated for atopic skin, often recommended to eczema suffers, most notably the Eucerin one.

Sophie, I believe that SH video is quite old, there wasn't much on the market for dehydrated skin until recently. I generally don't rec Institut Esthederm as they're highly priced and contain irritants like fragrance and possibly essential oils. Burt's Bees has never taken my notice but as before, the video is older.

yongnian Tue 20-Feb-18 16:25:31

I bring Hairmageddon news!!!!! My appointment was all good! I haven't seen my regular hairdresser for two years...(she was on mat leave for one and I was awol in stress-hell for another)....she did her usual brilliance grin and in the interim I've got some extra length on which I've kept most of and incorporated into my old style.
we even discussed colour.....this is a big deal for me...I am a colour virgin....we're only talking a subtle dip dye on my layer ends, but still, my hair is so dark, it would be a big deal.
Am actually considering it. Any experiences feel free to chip in!
Skinwise, all is relatively calm for the first time in ages....--really shouldn't have tempted fate there--
Re the shower, I've taken to slicking a layer of rice bran or sweet almond oil on my face before going in. It does seem to help.

EnidButton Tue 20-Feb-18 16:46:09

I'm letting the side down on the hair cut front. Still haven't made an appointment. Not sure where to even go. Genuinely considering following my hairdresser to the other end of the country.

If I wasn't so vain I swear I would've shaved it off today. Think I might have an odd shaped head under there though. I'd look like the moon.

Glad your appointment went well Yong! Hopefully you've set the trend. Can we come and pay your head for good hair luck?

EnidButton Tue 20-Feb-18 16:47:15

pat not pay

yongnian Tue 20-Feb-18 17:02:24

grin enid yes pat away!!

botemp Tue 20-Feb-18 17:20:07

<pats pats pats>

I'm not a fan of the old dip dye, it looks more like you're growing out colour to me. I do like a good ombre, especially if the hues are subtle and not high in contrast. It's easy to grow out and doesn't need maintenance so it's an easy way into colour without it being too radical. Do keep in mind the bleach makes the texture of your hair a bit tougher and black hair will probably need a bit more than most to lift, I'm guessing, not a hair colouring expert at all.

userallusedup Tue 20-Feb-18 18:35:33

Ooh shiny new thread 🐌🐌🐌 thanks Bo!
Skinpep was free p&p for me via Royal Mail first class but not tracked, I only ordered a couple of samples so presume they will just stick them in an envelope, they've been shipped so should arrive soonish. I got a HA and Vit C sample, will let you know once I've tested, may be a while with the Vit c as I'm trialling the Active formulas one atm.

That's great news Yongnian hopefully your luck will rub off on the rest of us grin I've not made an appointment yet, I go to a very 'local' type hairdresser who normally caters for an older clientele but they are one of the few who will cut without washing. I just have a few inches lobbed off the length so not too much that can go wrong, I still get paranoid though. I keep thinking of having a proper style cut but my hair is so thick and frizzy it won't really 'hold' a style, and the shorter it is the more it pouffs up so I end up with triangle head.

EnidButton Tue 20-Feb-18 19:07:47

<pat pat> grin

I just want two inches off the bottom. Enough to take off the longest layer. Blunt cut with a bit of point cutting to break the edge up. Blunt thick fringe with teeny bit of point cutting. Teeny tiny bit. Maybe little bit of graduation at the front but again...tiny bit.
Seems simple enough... 🤔

EnidButton Tue 20-Feb-18 19:10:27

I found a photo of myself, aged 14, last week, with the most triangular hair you've ever seen outside of a cartoon. grin My hair needs weight!

JDSTER Tue 20-Feb-18 19:26:17

Seeing as we're on the subject of hair, I had another keratin blow dry yesterday. It does help keep my fine hair under control.

Still no primer or powder here <this is MAJOR for me- somebody congratulate me please grin>. Used my new NARS tinted moisturiser today which went on nicely. I'm back at work tomorrow so I'll see how I fare with the lack of powder.

Current skincare regime looks like this:
A.m -
wash with cosrx low ph good morning cleansing gel
Vichy thermal water spray (blotted off)
TO Vit C +/- resveratl
NIOD MMHA
LRP toleriane moisturiser
After about 20 mins Biore brightening SPF
Another 10 mins makeup.

P.m
First cleanse -DHC cleansing oil (eye makeup remover with bioderma sensibio)
Second cleanse if needed LRP hydrating gentle cleanser
Vichy thermal spray
Differin
LRP double repair moisturiser

Twice a week differin swapped out for PC BHA
Various face masks on the go used once a week

Still to add BR P50W
Medik 8 CE Thione (in place of TO)

Happy with the tweaks I've made in the last couple of weeks, inspired my my skincare nerd friends advice on here smile.

EnidButton Tue 20-Feb-18 19:34:17

Congratulations JD 💄

I almost skipped powder today then dabbed a little bit on anyway but looked better without it I think. More glowy.

JDSTER Tue 20-Feb-18 19:45:20

Thanks Enid 💇🏻grin

JDSTER Tue 20-Feb-18 19:47:48

A leaf out of your book Enid, writing down my current regime, as you've said before, it's helpful to see it written down (and hopefully of interest to others).

miffy2 Tue 20-Feb-18 20:11:31

I must be a loner on this thread as I LOVE getting my hair done! When it is coming up to 6 weeks my roots practically beg for an appointment and the rest of my head goes on sympathy strike.

My hair is quite thick; before having children it used to be poker straight; now it has lots of kinks and waves if left to its own devices. Currently just past shoulder length and gagging for a cut. I get my roots tinted with an all-over colour and then 3/4 times a year I get slight balayage done so it looks quite natural/sun-kissed rather than 'highlighted'. I get it cut in an angled bob so the back is shorter than the front and my angel of a stylist thins it out big-time with the special scissors (to avoid the dreaded triangle head, Enid)

userallusedup Tue 20-Feb-18 20:26:11

Enid I have had a bob (long one at that) twice in my life, the triangle of frizz on my head had to be seen to be believed.

Congratulations JDSTER star I cannot break the powder habit completely as still using the it cosmetics cc powder. My fear is that my foundation would disappear in a couple of hours without powder and I'd find myself in work bare faced shock not that there is anything wrong with that for a lot of people, but my skin does not hold up to being bare and I'd feel really, really self conscious, especially in meetings etc.

userallusedup Tue 20-Feb-18 20:28:43

Miffy I have thought of having my hair thinned/undercut but it needs a lot of weight to keep the frizz under control, I can't have layers either (apart from a few very long ones round my face) as they just frizz up and I can't style or tame them.

yongnian Tue 20-Feb-18 20:28:46

Fear not bo I'm ultra risk averse so am thinking something v subtle...along the lines of:

The second photo with the hand holding the swatch is my hairdresser offering up a similar colour swatch to my hair

Congrats duly awarded jdster!

Pupsiecola Tue 20-Feb-18 20:38:42

Miffy SNAP! I rarely go more than 7 weeks for a trim and colour. Our hair sounds similar. I've just had quite ab it taken off and my hair is now as you describe - just skimming shoulders at front, shorter at back. Pretty much all one length now, with a bit of layering around my face. My hair is normal thickness, but I have A LOT of it. Hairdressers always have to mix up a second batch of colour.

I have a lot of weight taken off the central back area and it sits much better. It's not wavy ,but not straight. I either blow dry it straight, or leave it to dry naturally with some leave in conditioner but it takes about 3 to 4 hours to dry. For the last few years it had been longer with long layers (it grew loads when we lived in Singapore for a year, as I just used to tie it up because of the humidity). But I think I prefer it younger. I think it makes me look a bit younger.

userallusedup Tue 20-Feb-18 21:05:12

Yong that colour is gorgeous, your natural hair colour looks lovely too though, and so healthy and shiny. I have hair envy envy

JDSTER has inspired me to post my updated routine

AM
NIOD Sanskrit Saponins cleanser
Vichy thermal water spray
Active formulas Vit c serum 15%
Alpha h eye gel
Eucerin 5% urea face cream
Bioderma cicabio spf 50
Makeup
I try and wait 5 mins or so between each step whilst I body moisturise, get dressed, brush teeth etc laze around drinking coffee

PM
First cleanse Hyalamide cleansing oil
Second cleanse FAB creamy cleanser
night 1 PC BHA 2%
Night 2 differin gel
Vichy thermal water spray
Hylamide sub q face
FAB ultra repair moisturiser
Leave about 15 mins in between these steps, sometimes longer especially with the differin

yongnian Tue 20-Feb-18 21:17:53

Thanks user it was a bit of a shock to see it looking straight again as have been wearing it curly for nearly two years. To be honest I will probably go back to curly - this cut will work for me well like that and she just styled it straightish as the curl wouldn't be happy after being stretched out to be cut.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: