Guest at wedding in Italy, it's going to be a scorcher!

(168 Posts)
playingup Thu 11-Jun-15 07:24:25

Please help! Size 14 hourglass figure (huge norks 30hh smallish waist, large of hips and arse), height 5.2.

Want something cotton for the heat, not too restricting, something that nips in at the waist, not too 'booby', must be at least to the knee. I love blues and large print.

Budget about 100 quid.

The weather will be scorchio, up to 40 degrees I've been told.

Can any of you lovely people help me? Nearly killed myself shopping the other day and found nothing!

playingup Thu 11-Jun-15 07:55:56

Might be worth mentioning I have been to the weddingy shops (coast, phase eight) and they do have lovely dresses, but they're all too heavy.

dexter73 Thu 11-Jun-15 08:01:35

How about silk instead?

Sgtmajormummy Thu 11-Jun-15 08:09:16

Maxi dress with internal support for boobs, sparkly sparkly flat sandals just peeping out and a big floppy hat with sunglasses. You'll be the belle of the ball. A flap-open fan would even be acceptable.

Tamar86 Thu 11-Jun-15 08:10:02

Something like this maybe? Quite high cotton content, and the lace might be nice and airy grin.

Also easy to coordinate with the sort of preposterously large shady hat you will doubtless need if the weather is that hot.

Sgtmajormummy Thu 11-Jun-15 08:10:24

Sorry, just noticed your height. Ditch the hat and keep the shades. grin

Sgtmajormummy Thu 11-Jun-15 09:01:51

Isn't she pretty! Plenty of room for a bra under there. I would go for something like this, with maybe a floaty wrap to see you through until the evening or if the church doesn't like bare shoulders (Southern Italy?).

Annarose2014 Thu 11-Jun-15 09:20:18

If you fancy silk instead, here's a nice silk dress from French Connection massively reduced in price on ASOS. Put a little black belt around the middle and you're sorted.

Not sure how opaque or not it might be but hey, returns are free!

Annarose2014 Thu 11-Jun-15 09:25:13

Ooh and look at this cotton one also massively reduced by French Connection. I don't know if V necks are out but you could always put one of those cheap Primark bandeau bra things over your regular bra to cover an extra bit of cleavage.

Annarose2014 Thu 11-Jun-15 09:28:31

This blue high necked one from Debenhams is 100% cotton.

playingup Thu 11-Jun-15 10:31:54

Gah I'm out and about so can't open the links. Will look again later. That blue maxi is gorgeous though I love it. Defo a contender.

A large floppy hat sounds lush. Can I really not get away with it?? If not I will be donning a beautiful hand fan.

Thanks everyone for replying btw keep them coming!

playingup Thu 11-Jun-15 10:33:21

Sgtmajormummy where is that maxi dress from?

OnIlkleyMoorBahTwat Thu 11-Jun-15 10:37:10

hmm at the blue dress in Sgtmajormummy's link being described as 'Plus Size'.

Pantsalive Thu 11-Jun-15 10:48:02

Sgtmajormummy's dress is Eliza J. They only seem to have that one in pink in the UK.

This one is similar and very pretty.

Actually HoF seem to have a good range of dressy maxis. I rather like this Mint Velvet one but it might not suit your shape.

playingup Thu 11-Jun-15 11:08:46

dexter73 that silk one you posted ticks all the boxes but I'm not keen on the pattern...

And the other maxi dresses are gorgeous but I think I need something more structured around the waist, I find that one's with a belt make my bust look saggy.

Will try checking the others out now.

Sorry I'm a bit fussy! But I want to look wow. grin

playingup Thu 11-Jun-15 11:11:21

French connection ones are lovely. The first one is white though, and the second is too short. Told you I was fussy!!

dexter73 Thu 11-Jun-15 11:12:03

Nothing wrong with being fussy! What sort of prints do you like? Floral, graphic?

playingup Thu 11-Jun-15 11:12:57

Blue high necked one would make me look too matronly...

playingup Thu 11-Jun-15 11:19:52

Love floral.

Bought this for the hen. Which I now see is in the sale!!!!!!!

dexter73 Thu 11-Jun-15 11:22:28

I like this dress but it may be too high necked for you.

playingup Thu 11-Jun-15 11:25:04

It's Not that I'm against high necks (my hen dress is high neck ) but I just think on some dresses it looks too much.

Sorry dexter not keen on that pattern blush

Annarose2014 Thu 11-Jun-15 12:23:31

Have you looked at ModCloth? They deliver worldwide.

You'll probably think I'm nuts, but just look at this 100% cotton solar system dress

And this one has an adorable balloon print and is cotton also.

Oooh and this one has unicorns on it!

MadisonMontgomery Thu 11-Jun-15 12:32:20

DEFINITELY get a maxi. I was at a wedding in Greece last year in a short dress & I could feel sweat dripping down my legs. Everyone else was similarly damp but I was paranoid it looked like I'd wet myself.

FrugalFashionista Thu 11-Jun-15 13:00:49

Is it a day or evening ceremony? I'd wear midi or knee length for day, silk jersey or silk chiffon is best ime for hot weather - 34C in Rome today! The lining can be the hottest part of the dress so pay special attention to that. Take your sunglasses, expect delays and a delirium of food.

FrugalFashionista Thu 11-Jun-15 13:07:45

Annarose's silk FC dress with glamorous sunglasses and pretty heels would be just the thing for me!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now