Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Brave Babes Battle Bus: Sunshine, Roses and Mocktails All Round

(309 Posts)
SweetLathyrus Mon 11-Jun-18 07:21:49

Hi, I'm SweetLathyrus, Sweet for short, and I've been on and off Gerald the Brave Babes Battle Bus since 2014. Over the years, lots of us have maintained the thread, most of all the lovely Mouse, who has been here since the early days, and still scurries onboard when she can.

The bus is a place of support, safety and occasional silliness for those of us struggling with our relationship with alcohol. Some of us are sober, some are trying to be, some are moderating and aren't ready to give up alcohol just yet.

So whatever your reason for questioning the whys and WTFs of your drinking, hop on board, make yourselves comfortable and join in. Driers and Triers, all welcome.

Summer offers all kinds of challenges for those of us trying to change our relationship to alcohol, pub gardens, summer holidays, school holidays, and apparently there's a big football tournament too. If you want to read where the bus has been so far this year here's the link to the
last thread

And in case you want to know how it all started, here is the link to JWN's original, inspiring thread

The Bus is a bit of a Mumsnet institution, but it has an open door policy, no cliques, no judgement, and the welcome is always warm. So hop on and join us.

dementedma Mon 11-Jun-18 12:03:09

Yassssss! First to bag a seat!
<runs back to old thread to fill it up>

SweetLathyrus Mon 11-Jun-18 13:29:29

MA !

OhDearMavis Mon 11-Jun-18 19:12:16

Bags seat cheeky placemark

SweetLathyrus Mon 11-Jun-18 19:50:42

MAVIS !

venusandmars Mon 11-Jun-18 20:21:34

Sneaks on to take the most comfortable chair and put my feet up...

SweetLathyrus Mon 11-Jun-18 20:23:41

VENUS !

dementedma Mon 11-Jun-18 20:27:30

DOUBLE WHAMMY!
First on this thread and last on the other one. I SO rock!

soldier in a kilt as requested.....

SweetLathyrus Mon 11-Jun-18 20:29:51

It's a good way to start, Ma, looks sunny, I bet he was please to have 'air con'!

dementedma Mon 11-Jun-18 20:31:15

the poor boys were roasting. Those jackets are really thick wool. At least the kilties had a breeze. The gunners were melting...

SweetLathyrus Mon 11-Jun-18 20:56:22

There's a phnar there somewhere I sure!

WorkingToChange Mon 11-Jun-18 23:16:18

Hi babes lovely new thread brewI've been in the side car recently due to holiday but heaved myself back on the battle bus and feeling good.

Twattage13 Tue 12-Jun-18 06:22:27

Morning all - I managed 7 1/2 hour sleep but still awake at 4.30am with stress.

A couple of people I trust are now trying to persuade me to stay in this contract because of my reputation. I am so tired and confused...

Need to get up in a moment and struggle through another day of work and trains.

SweetLathyrus Tue 12-Jun-18 07:08:33

Morning All.

Twattage, I don't have any advice, just wishing you a better day.

Bumbelinadance Tue 12-Jun-18 09:04:22

Hi all

I fell asleep when we changed buses
On board now though
Lovely sunny day outside

WhatsGoingOnEh Tue 12-Jun-18 11:14:12

Hello!

I'm taking my mum out for lunch. Mum is really quite boozy. I'd normally think "feck it" and get us both a glass of wine, but I really can't. I hate the laggy feeling afterwards. I'm just worried I'll be letting Mum down if I don't join her/encourage her/something?!

OhDearMavis Tue 12-Jun-18 12:48:05

Twattage hope your day gets better!
whats have a tonic and lime, claim there's gin in there and then say it's gone to your head?
Day 50 AF at the moment. Treated myself to a facial yesterday to celebrate

obrigada Tue 12-Jun-18 12:49:09

Afternoon babes, going to jump back on the shiny new bus. Waves to other babes smile

LuxuryWoman2017 Tue 12-Jun-18 14:00:09

Signing in ☺

WhatsGoingOnEh Tue 12-Jun-18 15:03:34

@OhDearMavis 50 DAYS MOTHERFOCKER. That's sensational! Glad you had a lovely facial - I bet you look even more glowy thanks to your abstinence! That's really something. Well done! It's not easy - pressure to drink booze is literally everywhere you go these days.

Thanks for your tonic suggestion. I missed it, so I just had a lemonade and then a coffee. Mum had two large glasses of red wine. 🙄 She didn't even notice I wasn't drinking. 🤣 Just proves I overthink everything.

Twattage13 Tue 12-Jun-18 17:55:49

Aw mavis I love a good facial. It would be wasted on me given I have enormous bags under my eyes and look terrible.

Right so have made a decision - my contract finishes on 30 September so on 2 July I will give them 3 months notice that I won't renew. That will give them time to hire someone else and get them up to speed. Hopefully that will be a professional way to end it as I would like to at least have a referee from somewhere in case I need one going forwards.

There was another snidey comment today which was said in front of half of my team...this is clearly the way things are going with the escalating stress. I need to get out of there.

The trains were ok - there is still no fast service in the morning but at least the two trains I wanted to get on were running.

Love to all babes. I am shattered so will be asleep early hopefully. x

OhDearMavis Tue 12-Jun-18 18:33:35

Thanks what I can't believe I've got this far!
It's amazing how little people notice sometimes!

OhDearMavis Tue 12-Jun-18 20:01:49

twattage do you feel better for making a decision? It sounds like you need to get out!
Have a lovely sleep

dementedma Tue 12-Jun-18 21:07:15

obrigada good to see you again!

Trust2017 Tue 12-Jun-18 21:12:39

Evening all. Just jumping on. Been managing a Dry June. So far so good. Hi to all babes

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: