Talk

Advanced search

Week 2 - October Low Carb Bootcamp - how did you all do?!

(413 Posts)
BIWI Mon 21-Oct-19 08:55:32

Morning!

Here's what you have all been waiting for!

I love this week, because there are always some fabulous results - and those who really didn't believe it was going to work are always amazed!

8Track Mon 21-Oct-19 08:59:19

8Track

Morning Campers! PMT here so a not - unexpected gain (and 2 days of weeping left right and centre!) taking me up to 81.8kg (180lbs). I hit lower this week as I'm a daily weigher, so wanted to be honest - especially for any other gainers - about how much weight can fluctuate hormonally.Don't get down about it! This WOE is making me feel the best in body and mind for a long time.

Food for today-
B - celery sticks and brie chunks
L - leftover curry combo - creamy tofu and aubergine brinjal bhaji. Yums!
D - either lamb mince, mushrooms, leek, shallot topped with mashed celeriac, or beef mince, mushrooms, leek and a bit of tomato in a bolognaisey sauce. Either way, served with kale and spinach.

absopugginglutely Mon 21-Oct-19 09:05:58

@8Track I haven't gained but despite VERY strict BC week, I have stayed the same but weirdly PMT always does this to me- strange.

Hoping that when period done and dusted there'll be more a of a marked loss.

Now off to get my water and eggs.

BIWI Mon 21-Oct-19 09:06:26

@VeryLittleOwl

To answer your question on the last thread, don't use American carb counts - they include fibre in theirs, for some reason, which is why they are higher.

I have to say, though, that carb counts do seem to vary enormously depending which source you use. For fresh veg, check the packaging (if they come in any!) to see if there's a carb count. For packaged food, then go by the count on the pack.

But where there isn't a carb count or packaging, then you'll just have to decide which 'authority' you're going to use. The carb counts on the spreadsheet come from this website . Over the years I think one or two might have been added/amended, but in the main they should be OK.

Glenthebattleostrich Mon 21-Oct-19 09:07:19

Good morning,

Some brilliant losses on the sheet already.

I've lost 3.2lb so really pleased.

Food today...

B - 3 eggs scrambled with double cream and mozzarella, tea with cream.

L - in softplay hell so probably chicken wings and veg sticks

D - roast trout salad (didn't have it yesterday after all, DH was being a whingebag!)

S - pork scratchings if needed, tea with d. Cream

I have a nuts week this week, that's going to massively test willpower -

Sewing workshop tomorrow making Christmas costumes for school. I'm on a machine so hopefully no temptation to snack. Will have suitable snacks with me just in case. Also having a big dinner before I go.

Meeting Thursday night and (non alcoholic) drinks with friends on Fri. Sober October is helpful at last, no booze means I'm not tempted to snack!

Have a brilliant day everyone. <wanders off smugly as I've avoided the big stick for a week>

Glenthebattleostrich Mon 21-Oct-19 09:08:29

And as always, huge thanks BIWI and gang (feel like you should have t-shirts) for this.

BIWI Mon 21-Oct-19 09:09:00

@absopugginglutely - I think it was you? - a whoosh is the name given to the phenomenon often experienced on a LCHF diet, where you carry on for a while without losing weight, but then suddenly you'll drop 3lbs (or more)

Dia12 Mon 21-Oct-19 09:12:58

Morning all, I've had an epic fail last night, just an accumulation of a series of bad events and choices led to me face dive into a bowl of trifle because I was just so fed up, tired, hungry and dehydrated.
Really unhappy with myself. Going to start again today. blush

BIWI Mon 21-Oct-19 09:15:45

Oh @Dia12 shock

Sorry you have been having a bad time. But, as you've learnt, the lure of carbs is totally false - they will only make you feel worse!

Is there anything we can help with?

Doilooklikeatourist Mon 21-Oct-19 09:15:50

Down a LB , which is great as I only started on Thursday ,( after a very indulgent few days away , and I think the scales may well have gone up before they went down iykwim )

Rshard Mon 21-Oct-19 09:16:27

Love reading all the losses - well done everyone. I’m adding a 3lbs loss which I’m really happy with.

Clamber back on the low carb wagon dia12!

Ready for week 2! Dh and I are away this weekend as dd is off to swim camp but I’m perusing menu’s so that I can make good choices!

whojamaflip Mon 21-Oct-19 09:21:39

Morning - just weighed and I'm 151lbs so that's 5lbs offshock

Please would someone add that to the spreadsheet - can't do it on my phone sad thanks

I'm really surprised how easy I've found this and I'm proper chuffed with myself that I've stuck to it for a week and it's getting easier - made full roast last night and only had the pork, sprouts and a teaspoon of carrot and parsnip mash. Didn't even want the lemon meringue pie I made for pudding which is a first for me! The rest of the crew hoovered it up though! 😂

Dia12 Mon 21-Oct-19 09:29:35

Ah thank you biwi for the kind offer (and for sparing me the stick!!

These may be very obvious but I've learnt I have two things: 1) absolutely must make sure I'm drinking water throughout the day
2) plan out my food in advance when surrounded by carb-laden food options, I realise now I just can't navigate around a pasty by just eating the filling - it doesn't work with me!!

TamingToddler Mon 21-Oct-19 09:29:43

I've lost 3 and 3/4 lbs this week. It took me about a month to lose that amount last bootcamp, perhaps it's working more for me now I'm much closer to my target weight.
Everyone has posted such lovely meals on here, I'm on a tight budget so lots of the meats etc I can't really justify buying but all the soups look cheap and delicious!

Dia12 Mon 21-Oct-19 09:34:27

And 3) keeping up with the posts here really kept me on track in the last bootcamp I did, so I need to be more engaged with this thread!

@whojamaflip well done, I'd be well chuffed too! I've added it on to the spreadsheet. x

whojamaflip Mon 21-Oct-19 09:37:26

Thankyou @Dia12 thanks

RubySlippers77 Mon 21-Oct-19 09:41:57

Well done to all the 'losers' out there! I only lost 0.5lb but have lost a couple of inches round my waist, which is good. And AF due shortly too, doesn't help.

Struggling a bit with vegetarian options as I'm not that keen on quorn; @8Track please could you share your creamy tofu recipe, or point me to where you found it?

@Glenthebattleostrich I feel your pain with the softplay hell!! DP loves taking the DC there as he sits and ignores them for ages, I loathe it with a passion. Would far rather be outside with them even if it's bucketing down!

StuntNun Mon 21-Oct-19 09:45:09

You know you've been low carbing a long time when it's home ec. tomorrow and you're not sure you have 20g of flour in the house. confused

BIWI Mon 21-Oct-19 09:47:25

grin

VeryLittleOwl Mon 21-Oct-19 09:52:55

Thanks @BIWI - I think I'm going to cut celeric for now, because I've put 2lbs back on since Thursday morning and the only thing that's changed is fewer green veg, more celeriac. Even taking the fibre out of the American figure for a net carb calculation still leaves it in the red zone, so maybe the British vegetable is a bit different smile

4lbs off for me after being 6lbs down on Thursday morning.

Wibblytummy Mon 21-Oct-19 10:07:11

Still can't get the sheet to work on my phone but will try and dust off the laptop tonight. I'm 10lb down from my start weight (started 5 days before BC official had begun!) so quite happy with that.

By hook and crook managed to hold it together yesterday. A day out to legoland and on the last day before a food shop so nothing in. Skipped breakfast as nothing there and wasn't hungry. At Legoland we normally only eat the hotel buffet, my daughters a coeliac and this was one of the only places she can eat, but I thought this would work perfectly with this WOE so didn't worry to pack anything. Turned out the hotel buffet had shut 4 months ago and the only other place who could cater for my daughters coeliac was the pizza pasta bar (basically the Pizza Hut buffet) but made it work by a huge plate of leafy salad and cucumbers topped with me scraping the cheese and ham from my pizza on to the salad! Hurrah! Probably still not the best it could've been but I survived without diving head first in to the hot donut stand!!

PrimaDonna123 Mon 21-Oct-19 10:08:12

Just 1lb off this morning. I am a bit disappointed but won’t let it derail me. I have been LC on and off for a while now (more off than on) so wasn’t expecting a huge loss but even so sad I have my period too so that might be skewing things a little I suppose.

Anyway, a loss is a loss is a loss! Today’s plan:

B: scrambled eggs, butter, cream
L: broccoli and Stilton soup, bit of pulled pork
D: going to try to stroganoff meatballs Cauliflower posted about last week. Will serve with cauli rice.

Nonononon Mon 21-Oct-19 10:31:02

Ah yes I forgot about the Apple cider vinegar so thanks for the reminder!
Food today
B: lemon and herb salmon fillet with asparagus and two scrambled eggs fried in butter.
L: Greek salad with another salmon fillet.
D: roast shoulder of pork and lots of green veg with a side of buttery leeks.

(All sounds very pooosh but I got the salmon fillets for 70p a pack from lidle just now! Two packs with two fillets in each pack, just bunged one in the frezzer and ill take that to work later in the week)

Off to make this broth.. Well, start it, won't be ready until this time tomorrow!

eliope Mon 21-Oct-19 10:53:28

Morning everyone, lovely to read everyones losses and experiences through the first week. 4.4lb loss for me which I'm chuffed with as I've proved to myself that I can do a week of nightshifts and survive fairly happily and lose. I've realised that all that sugary crap was a comfort blanket that's I just don't need.

I have skipped a few meals over the weekend though as I just wasn't hungry but think that was due to being fed up of eggs n spinach etc. so to echo others I need to plan my food, start being more creative and if payday could be today and not in 2 weeks would be really great!

Rayna37 Mon 21-Oct-19 10:57:47

Well done everyone! I've lost 2lbs which is where I'd got to by Friday so happy to have maintained over the weekend. Shows that if things go awry, making sure you drink LOTS of water and do some exercise can help mitigate.

TamingToddler I understand where you're coming from with meat and particularly fish. One thing that surprised me recently is that a number of people at work were genuinely surprised/shocked when I said I bought around half of my meat "short life" - reduced for quick sale, then freeze it for use later. I thought everyone would if there was something they might buy anyway and they have the freezer space but apparently many seemed to think it was beneath them and were shocked that on my household income (clearly the highest earner in the office as I'm the boss, and they know DH is a high earner) that I did this. Think of all the food waste if people didn't! I find pork good value, especially pork belly strips which we love and I often find pork chops or steaks reduced. Still it's all costlier than pasta with the bean and veg based sauces I ate so much of through my 20's!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »