Talk

Advanced search

Getting ready for baby challenge

(995 Posts)
TheresAlwaysTimeForTea Mon 19-Dec-16 10:51:24

Hi all, we are planning on TTC in the new year. Before that I want to get a bit healthier lose three stone and generally be in the best shape possible to get pregnant and run around after a baby. Is anyone else in the same boat? Would you be up for a little thread to keep us all on track? Planning on doing a dry January as a kick start and then will be dragging my arse to the gym after Christmas as well. Very open to suggestion and ideas to shift the bulge. Would be good to have a few buddies though. Anyone fancy joining in?

dangle90 Mon 19-Dec-16 11:19:49

I'd love to join! Came off the pill two weeks ago, but feel disgusting and just want to feel healthy again so going to be doing the same dry January and hitting the gym! If I feel like this now god knows what I'll feel like after Xmas lol! X

Redpony1 Mon 19-Dec-16 11:31:43

Me too! Came off the pill 14 days ago to get my body back in to normality.

I only have 1.5st to lose, DP is a trained PT so he is whipping me in to shape from 1st Jan. However, i am not totally unfit, i run 4x a week and have horses too! Just cannot shift this extra podge sad

TheresAlwaysTimeForTea Mon 19-Dec-16 11:40:01

Hello both - welcome!

I know what you mean dangle - I had lost 8lbs in November low carbing but managed to fall off the wagon and can't get it to shift. I really need to get a wriggle on. I'm a size 14-16 and used to be a slim 10-12. I'm getting my implant out soon and hoping that will have a bit of a positive effect on my metabolism but not sure if that's a myth!

TheresAlwaysTimeForTea Mon 19-Dec-16 11:41:28

pony I wish my DH was a PT - he's a skinny minnie - I worry people look at us and think he's a feeder with a fat girl fetish. Just really don't want to put on a tonne of weight while pregnant and then never lose it!

Redpony1 Mon 19-Dec-16 11:59:53

TimeForTea I am a podgy size 12 and want to be a comfortable size 10 (I'm only a shortie). DP is very fit and muscly, so we look a little mismatched when out and about haha! I hold on to fat so want to be as light and healthy as possible before pregnancy - i will be the girl who turns in to a bloated whale when pregnant i just know it!
I did lose 4st on Slimming World back in 2013, i have put a stone back on now though sad SW isn't working for me now though, it doesn't seem to work well now i am even more busy, which is annoying.

BUT if you have never done SW before, it's 100% worth it! I lost the 4st without exercising. i haven't lost a lb since starting running 13months ago though! & my clothes aren't looser, if anything, a little tighter so defo not toning up sad

TheresAlwaysTimeForTea Mon 19-Dec-16 12:07:32

I have an online membership for SW Pony so I might try and do it properly in the new year. I did lose about 9lbs doing it last year - I never stick to anything! My fall down is carbs and wine. I will def be a pregnant whale - I know exactly what I'm like. DH from a very tall lean family. All his sisters have had the slightest of bumps and then bounce back immediately!

Wiggleyfingers Mon 19-Dec-16 14:35:18

Hi everyone! I'd like to join! We are getting married next summer and want to ttc from then so I have a little longer to wait than you lucky ladies. I'm trying to make the time go faster by preparing myself as I am so excited. Is anyone taking prenatal vitamins?

TheresAlwaysTimeForTea Mon 19-Dec-16 15:17:51

Hi Wiggly! Welcome! Oh how exciting - when is your wedding? I'm not actually trying properly until July. We are off on safari and I don't want to take any chances of anything going wrong so going to wait until then. I'm not on any supplements - good shout. I might grab some pregnacare or folic acid. Are you taking any?

Wiggleyfingers Mon 19-Dec-16 15:43:14

Timefortea our wedding is August but we might start trying in July too! A safari sounds amazing! Where are you going for it? I completely understand why you are waiting, will it be your first time ttc? I haven't started any prenatal vitamins yet but I want to soon so it feels like another step closer!

TheresAlwaysTimeForTea Mon 19-Dec-16 16:04:40

Ooh lovely wiggly - that will fly in once Christmas is over. We are away for our two year wedding anniversary in July. We're going to Kenya. It wouldn't be the end of the world if we did fall pregnant before then but I just feel like it's taking a bit of a chance as the safaris can be a bit rocky I've heard and tbh I'd quite like to enjoy the all inclusive aspect as well!

Redpony1 Mon 19-Dec-16 16:13:16

My Dr told me to take Folic acid as soon as i came off the pill so i have been. It's just like taking the pill - i leave it next to my makeup where my pink Cerelle packet used to be lol.

Safari sounds fab TimeForTea

Wiggley a wedding, how exciting!!

TheresAlwaysTimeForTea Mon 19-Dec-16 16:23:08

Are you starting to try in January pony or waiting a few months?

Redpony1 Mon 19-Dec-16 16:25:54

Assuming my cycle comes back, yeh, although i expect it will be more like Feb... Scary!!

TheresAlwaysTimeForTea Mon 19-Dec-16 16:30:52

Very exciting pony! Are you telling anyone you're trying? Appreciate it's not the done thing but some people tell their mums and that. I'm not - mine can't hold her own piss bless her! It'd be lovely over the town in no time. Also I don't want any pressure if things take a bit of time - exciting though!

TheresAlwaysTimeForTea Mon 19-Dec-16 16:33:25

All over the town - not lovely over the town! That sounds a bit weird!

dangle90 Mon 19-Dec-16 17:29:20

Therealwaystimefortea I'm same size as you and same, few months ago I lost 10lb but fallen right off the waggon since and put over a stone back on sad I'd got down to a comfy 12 so really disappointed with myself now.

Oysterbabe Mon 19-Dec-16 17:39:14

Hi all!
We're ttc in January. Trouble is I'm still carrying an extra 2st from my pregnancy with DD, who turns 1 this month. Sadly for me I gain weight very easily, I knew I'd turn into a heffer when pregnant, even though i was in great shape for my wedding just before we conceived.
I'm worried that being fatter, older and having no time or inclination for the constant shagging that resulted in DD is really going to hamper our efforts!! Definitely going to try and and shift some of this blubber while ttc. After Christmas obv. ;)

TheresAlwaysTimeForTea Mon 19-Dec-16 17:51:48

Oh I'm a disaster on the diet front. I can do pretty well when I put my mind to it but then I reward myself with a wine and a bag of Doritos and then that's it! So I really want to knock it on the head before babies come on the scene as otherwise I'll be sliding into obesity. I always put weight round my face and belly first too! angry

Wiggleyfingers Mon 19-Dec-16 17:58:28

Tea you've done so well to not tell anyone! I've told my parents that we might consider it, but no one else.
On the diet front, I'm just going to try and eat properly as I'm the worst for just picking at bad foods all day and not eating a meal until the evening. Must stay focussed!
Well done pony for getting ahead of the game with folic acid! Have you noticed any side effects?

juneybean Mon 19-Dec-16 18:02:03

Yes I want to join, need to lose weight and plan to give up caffeine in new year and start taking conception vitamins.

HbH04 Mon 19-Dec-16 20:12:18

Hi Girls!

Fab group, first time i've been able to post !

Came off the pill end Nov, started conception vitamins with a view to starting TTC on our honeymoon in Jan... went for the jabs and found out that Thailand has Zika so have to delay a little bit. Really disappointed as we were so excited to get going!

Have been lurking in the background of the conception threads for a few weeks and it sounds WAY more complex than i'd ever imagined!

TheresAlwaysTimeForTea Tue 20-Dec-16 03:27:20

Hi juneybean and hbho - I think the general plan is we all kick start a health plan in January after a gluttonous Christmas and then help keep each other on track! God that Zika virus is terrifying. I think historically there have been cases in Africa too which has also put us off trying before we get that trip out of the way. I'm also massively behind on all the TTC lingo and the apparent degree in biology you need to chart ovulation! I have no idea what all the acronyms are do feel free to just chat normally on here! Puts kettle on brew

HbH04 Tue 20-Dec-16 09:04:53

It's depressing.... I was my absolute slimmest/lightest for my wedding in October and a mere two months later it's all gone to pot!! And have got to be bikini ready by Jan 15th 😂
Have never tried to diet over Christmas before (why would you?!)

Redpony1 Tue 20-Dec-16 09:31:19

Timefortea Not told anyone & i won't. I definitely won't tell my mum anyway as she would be horrified i think (I'm 32!) as I have spent my whole life telling everyone i don't like or want children & she will think it will stop me living the life i love & that i have been pushed in to it like she was! (I softened when i met my current DP 2 years ago but noone knows!)

HbH04 It does all sound way more complex than i imagine too, totally crazy. You spend your whole youth getting told you can get pregnant so easily by accident, then when you actively want to TTC, it seems like a minefield?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now