One large Lindt bear
Four bags of chocolate coins
Two marzipan logs
One tube of smarties
Box of heroes
Tube of chocolate buttons
Tray of Reece’s treats
The cotton bag the coins were in

Little shredded bits of foil, plastic and paper all over the cupboard. Cat gives me a nonchalant look and goes back to sleep.

AIBU to fire the cat, go through all our food cupboards to check for recon mice and engage in all-our war with the little buggers?

Sparklybaublefest Sat 14-Dec-19 13:42:01

sad
get the poison out now

Pomegranatemolasses Sat 14-Dec-19 13:42:20

Urgh, that’s quite the infestation! How did you not notice until now?

champagneandfromage50 Sat 14-Dec-19 13:43:08

Eugh sounds like rats

AuntieStella Sat 14-Dec-19 13:47:21

YABU as you have not posted a pic of the defective cat

Not sure which mouse elimination strategies are safest (whilst still being effective) when you have pets.

I don't, and use poison (as I'm convinced I'll have a finger off if I ever handle a snap trap). Get a dessicating poison unless you like the smell of semi decayed rodent

avocadoze Sat 14-Dec-19 13:47:29

I keep presents in “the present cupboard” and only looked today as I was putting more stuff in. I’ve been adding bits and pieces for a while, but only got the Lindt bear on Thursday evening: he’s missing the top of his head, which is what caught my eye and led me to look at the rest of the stuff.

Ugh. Hope it’s not rats. I had heard some scrabbling in the night but sometimes the cat goes mad for a spider in our cupboards, which sounds similar.

churchandstate Sat 14-Dec-19 13:48:04

Are you sure it wasn’t a bear? 🐻

avocadoze Sat 14-Dec-19 13:50:47

Ms too busy to address rodent issues...

MitziK Sat 14-Dec-19 13:59:33

Don't use poison. If the defective cat suddenly decides to get involved, it'll regret it.

Snap traps well out of his/her way, sealed glass containers for snacks, clean everything to try and get the constant mouse piss off things, bin all unpackaged foods.

And tell the cat if it doesn't shape up, there won't be any kibble for Christmas because the mice will have eaten it.

ElusiveOrangeTwirl Sat 14-Dec-19 14:00:44

I read your list to the tune of Twelve Days of Christmas.

MidnightCircus Sat 14-Dec-19 14:01:01

What a gorgeous cat! If not a mouse-catcher. Traps, poison round animals could be a problem. If they die in your walls, they'll stink

Chemenger Sat 14-Dec-19 14:02:50

That cat is obviously faulty but I’d be prepared to take her off your hands, to do you a favour.

MidnightCircus Sat 14-Dec-19 14:02:51

elusive so did I! Now renamed the twelve mouses of Christmas grin

LoseLooseLucy Sat 14-Dec-19 14:04:23

That's one good looking cat!

Not a good mouser, but good looking fgrin

ElusiveOrangeTwirl Sat 14-Dec-19 14:05:41

MidnightCircus great minds think alike!

PickwickThePlockingDodo Sat 14-Dec-19 14:07:49

Are you sure you haven't been sleepwalking? grin

avocadoze Sat 14-Dec-19 14:08:16

I’m just embarking on the check of the kitchen cupboards. If the buggers got upstairs then they’ve probably been at the stuff in the kitchen 😡

Fr0g Sat 14-Dec-19 14:10:26

Not what you want to hear, and won't make you feel better, but she is a very beautiful cat. fsmile

Think of all the calories she's saved you!

thenightsky Sat 14-Dec-19 14:10:43

Now there's a cat who thinks its Royalty! Look at that haughtiness.

Phlewf Sat 14-Dec-19 14:12:01

More cats wink

70sWitch Sat 14-Dec-19 14:12:42

Oh yes. She definitely has the look of a cat who feels mousing is beneath her grin

70sWitch Sat 14-Dec-19 14:14:16

Exactky thenightsky she expects her mouses brought to her on a golden cushion.

churchandstate Sat 14-Dec-19 14:16:55

Gorgeous cat.

avocadoze Sat 14-Dec-19 14:18:22

DH says I am not allowed to fire bad cat. We will be having stern words and she will not be going to get a good report this term. She is aware of her own beauty and royalty, and is now washing, and giving me occasional side eye for writing about her.

DH has gone to the local hardware store, with instructions to buy anything legal, up to and including nuclear mouse warheads.

LeekMunchingSheepShagger Sat 14-Dec-19 14:19:08

There’s nothing else for it; you’ll need a second cat.

Marzipan logs you say? Where might one find such a thing? Asking for a friend.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »