Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Feminism: Sex & gender discussions

Comedians who are actually funny and not captured

240 replies

WomenShouldStillWinWomensSports · 14/09/2023 10:14

Inspired by another thread as I don't want to derail the important discussion about Glinner's new book.

Which comedians don't include "jokes" about hating TERFs in their routines and aren't captured by trans ideology?

Not necessary, but bonus points if they don't rant about politics/Brexit like a Year 12 who just learned we have a government (I'm not a Brexiteer, I'm just sick of hearing Brexit rants when I signed up to watch comedy, it's not funny).

So far I've got:
Dave Chappelle
Glinner
Richard Ayoade
Mary Bourke (thanks Pink News for the article trashing her entire character because she had the audacity to say she was a woman not a cervix, great recommendation, she's really funny)

If you're a comedian feel free to name yourself here too, we all need more laughs.

OP posts:
NashvilleQueen · 14/09/2023 14:31

@ScribblingPixie thanks for that. A bit of sane reason from Jo which is nice to see. I suspect behind the scenes she's a bit more of a radical feminist but good that she was prepared to say as much as she did (not much different to poor Roisin in content but things have moved to a much more brutal place)

DerekFaker · 14/09/2023 14:31

CurlewKate · 14/09/2023 14:22

@WomenShouldStillWinWomensSports I haven't made any suggestions-because all the comedians I find funny are firmly TWAW and all the ones mentioned here who aren't, with the possible exception of Geoff Norcott, have objectively obnoxious material about women, black people or disabled people. Comedy is definitely subjective-basic human decency isn't.

All of them? Are you sure?

I've been to see Simon Brodkin quite a few times and have never heard anything like that from him.

Mary Bourke?

Robert Webb?

Really?

And I've thought of another: Henning Wehn. He stood up for Glinner over the Edinburgh Fringe debacle.

Laurdo · 14/09/2023 14:33

I've been listening to French and Saunders' podcast recently. I find them both hilarious.

BernardBlacksMolluscs · 14/09/2023 14:39

Comedy is definitely subjective-basic human decency isn't.

Grin

genuine LOL. Maybe the poster should write to her MP about it

or if she’s an anarchist she could write to Echo And The Bunnymen

inkjet · 14/09/2023 14:41
drspouse · 14/09/2023 14:47

Shappi Korsandi IIRC is very TWAW.

CurlewKate · 14/09/2023 14:47

@BernardBlacksMolluscs "genuine LOL. Maybe the poster should write to her MP about it"

Feel free to address me directly!

CurlewKate · 14/09/2023 14:48

@drspouse I hate to be "that poster" but she calls herself Shaparak now.

NeighbourhoodWatchPotholeDivision · 14/09/2023 14:51

I've not seen Ed Byrne do a TWAW routine, and honestly, I can't imagine he ever would.

ScribblingPixie · 14/09/2023 14:54

Henning Wehn

Oh yes, he's a really tough cookie. I saw him RIP a comedian apart to his face over what he saw as disrespect for another comic.

WomenShouldStillWinWomensSports · 14/09/2023 15:01

@WomenShouldStillWinWomensSports I haven't made any suggestions-because all the comedians I find funny are firmly TWAW and all the ones mentioned here who aren't, with the possible exception of Geoff Norcott, have objectively obnoxious material about women, black people or disabled people. Comedy is definitely subjective-basic human decency isn't.

You're more than welcome to go and make this point somewhere else, without hijacking my thread, which was very clear in the thread title and opening post (and the topic it was posted in, and even my bloody username FFS) that it was not going to be especially pro-TWAW. 🤷‍♀️ If you're not even willing to listen to and learn of differing viewpoints, IDK why you're here.

So, anyway, this vampire walks into a garlic bar...

OP posts:
WomenShouldStillWinWomensSports · 14/09/2023 15:02

BernardBlacksMolluscs · 14/09/2023 14:39

Comedy is definitely subjective-basic human decency isn't.

Grin

genuine LOL. Maybe the poster should write to her MP about it

or if she’s an anarchist she could write to Echo And The Bunnymen

I see what you did there. 🤣

OP posts:
Signalbox · 14/09/2023 15:27

Interestingly, I always remember her saying, when she was starting out, something along the lines of "Everybody DOES have freedom of speech in Iran... just maybe not for very long!"

Yes this is what trans activists aspire to when they say “freedom of speech isn’t freedom from consequence”

NeighbourhoodWatchPotholeDivision · 14/09/2023 15:32

This post is tinestamped 14:22. The thread was started at 10:14am, and had reached 100 posts by this point.

Had you actually read the entire thread and determined that every single person nominated at that point had obnoxious material about women, black people or disabled people, or was this maybe hyperbole?

I mean, I haven't even heard of some of the comics, never mind had a chance to audit their back catalogues of jokes. Admittedly, I live under a rock, but even so.

turbonerd · 14/09/2023 15:39

RavingStone · 14/09/2023 10:35

Ricky Gervais is a fucking genius.

As is John Finnemore, in a completely different way,

I adore David Sedaris.

Henning Wehn seems to understand the importance of free speech according to MN yesterday!

I'm currently listening to old Mitchell and Webb on BBC sounds.

Maybe it’s been mentioned, have only read page 1, but John Finnemore co-wrote Good Omens 2 which is very happy about trans and working prostitutes. In an odd, twee way.

I liked the show, of course it would be different with less Pratchett snd more Gaiman, but that was very noticeable in the rather protracted end scenes

NeighbourhoodWatchPotholeDivision · 14/09/2023 15:39

Oh sorry, at the time CurlewKate posted, her post formed post 97. Thread was close to 100 posts, but had not actually reached that threshold.

MyEyesMyThighs · 14/09/2023 15:47

"That's kind of surprising from him actually. If I had to guess, I would have thought he would just be parroting the "inclusivity" line."

Ben Elton wrote a whole book called Identity Crisis a few years back. He clearly has no respect for the naval gazing Twitter mobs.

turbonerd · 14/09/2023 15:54

Sarah Millican, Michelle Wolf, Tiffany Something and Lucy Something too? And Elaine Miller?

Racist, misogynistic AND all round terrible?

ALL of the men mentioned too?

Well, blow me down with a feather.

FKATondelayo · 14/09/2023 15:58

You seem to have selective reading because I mentioned Tiffany Haddish a black Eritrean / American comedian and actress who survived the US care system and AFAIK has never done "obnoxious material about women, black people or disabled people."

If you want "obnoxious material about women, black people or disabled people" try your TWAW comedians - Frankie Boyle and Janey Godley for example.

ApocalipstickNow · 14/09/2023 16:09

Not stand up but as far as I know Trey Parker and Matt Stone are still sticking with “nothing and no one is off limits”.

WhereYouLeftIt · 14/09/2023 16:26

inkjet · 14/09/2023 14:41

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CrgN5Ogxobl/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

I haven’t seen his other stuff but I enjoyed this Sir/Ma’am/they bit from Elon Gold

I hadn't heard of Elon Gold, but I will look out for him now. THat routine was both funny and clever!

FatherJackHackettsUnderpantsHamper · 14/09/2023 16:39

Henning Wehn

Oh yes, he's a really tough cookie. I saw him RIP a comedian apart to his face over what he saw as disrespect for another comic.

Do you remember who the other two comedians were, out of interest?

I have a great deal of respect for Henning - a lot of his jokes are not just throwaway funny lines but things you have to take a few moments to properly think about, before you realise how very astute (and hilarious) he is!

Totallyterrific · 14/09/2023 16:43

Shortpoet · 14/09/2023 12:27

I saw Ben Elton I think in 2017/8 and he did a whole piece about the ridiculousness of cancelling Germaine Greer (to an audience that just didn’t get his point). Not sure where he stands now though.

This (for those who missed it) is a naked man (with a penis and boobs) larking about naked on Friday night live in October 2022 - hosted by Ben Elton.

TRANS comedian JORDAN GRAY strips completely NAKED on FRIDAY NIGHT LIVE on Channel 4 FOOTAGE

TRANS comedian JORDAN GRAY strips completely NAKED on FRIDAY NIGHT LIVE on Channel 4 FOOTAGE#fridaynightlive #channel4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAZXX36MV3w

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.