Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Feminism: Sex & gender discussions

Comedians who are actually funny and not captured

240 replies

WomenShouldStillWinWomensSports · 14/09/2023 10:14

Inspired by another thread as I don't want to derail the important discussion about Glinner's new book.

Which comedians don't include "jokes" about hating TERFs in their routines and aren't captured by trans ideology?

Not necessary, but bonus points if they don't rant about politics/Brexit like a Year 12 who just learned we have a government (I'm not a Brexiteer, I'm just sick of hearing Brexit rants when I signed up to watch comedy, it's not funny).

So far I've got:
Dave Chappelle
Glinner
Richard Ayoade
Mary Bourke (thanks Pink News for the article trashing her entire character because she had the audacity to say she was a woman not a cervix, great recommendation, she's really funny)

If you're a comedian feel free to name yourself here too, we all need more laughs.

OP posts:
duc748 · 22/09/2023 01:21

She seems to be a deeply damaged individual to me, all the sadder, because I think the early Roseanne was truly excellent and ground-breaking stuff.

Pudmyboy · 22/09/2023 12:37

Somanycats · 14/09/2023 22:42

Dave Gorman. Seen him live a few times, and no evidence of capture.

Oh what a relief! I hoped he wouldn't be captured but there are no guarantees these days so this is good news!

OurFlagMeansAfternoonTea · 22/09/2023 15:56

I saw Jack Whitehall at the 02 and he was OK until he had a bit where he basically said non-trans people should "shut the fuck up" on the trans issue.

FatherJackHackettsUnderpantsHamper · 22/09/2023 17:29

I saw Jack Whitehall at the 02 and he was OK until he had a bit where he basically said non-trans people should "shut the fuck up" on the trans issue.

So presumably he also believes that people who aren't (actual) women should shut up about the protecting women's rights issue - unless they're supporting women, of course?

waterlego · 22/09/2023 19:05

I find Greg Davies pretty funny and I’d be surprised if he was captured. His comedy doesn’t tend to be particularly political so I suspect he’d give the whole subject a wide berth anyway.

RavingStone · 23/09/2023 08:17

OurFlagMeansAfternoonTea · 22/09/2023 15:56

Rich bloke holds luxury beliefs shocker

RavingStone · 23/09/2023 08:26

Great user name btw ourflagmeansafternoontea

And it reminds me that the series Our Flag Means Death is hilarious, ridiculous and quite touching.

Although the insertion of a non-binary identity is completely jarring (and fucking regressive and sexist that the only female pirate couldn't possibly be a woman oh no). I know it's partly because the actor is non-binary themselves, but this level of sexism makes over-looking the fact many episodes fail the bechdel test a little harder.

So, yes it's captured, but also yes I'd still recommend it for watching. It's possible to ignore the pronouns.

RomeoandJomeo · 23/09/2023 08:46

AtlasOfBirds · 21/09/2023 22:56

Days late to this, but who’s the trans character in that JF series? There’s two gay couples including one who do a drag king (?) act in the 1930s, but I loved the realism of the lesbian WW2 couple and the modern gay couple. Nothing trans that I recall?

The young son/ daughter of the modern day gay couple (Toby?)... not much made of it, but a definite nod to the idea that the kid's gender was different from their sex (maybe non binary).
There was a zoom session with lots of people who had enjoyed the series that I participated in, and JF came along to talk about it (was lovely) and he made a point of saying how important it was to include and normalise these things (and also speculated that Newt would be Ace if living today).

LoobiJee · 23/09/2023 10:00

RavingStone · 23/09/2023 08:26

Great user name btw ourflagmeansafternoontea

And it reminds me that the series Our Flag Means Death is hilarious, ridiculous and quite touching.

Although the insertion of a non-binary identity is completely jarring (and fucking regressive and sexist that the only female pirate couldn't possibly be a woman oh no). I know it's partly because the actor is non-binary themselves, but this level of sexism makes over-looking the fact many episodes fail the bechdel test a little harder.

So, yes it's captured, but also yes I'd still recommend it for watching. It's possible to ignore the pronouns.

I really enjoyed that series too.

But the whole thing was a very contemporary reimagining of a true story from the past aimed at a modern audience and modern sensibilities. The female non binary pirate character was just one aspect of that ahistorical take.

I’ll be devastated if it turns out in season 2 that one of the characters has actually been killed off. Really hoping they had some sort of miracle escape.

RavingStone · 23/09/2023 12:31

I know loobiJee

That character was my favourite too. I'm clinging to there being some plot twist.

RavingStone · 23/09/2023 12:36

I agree with your take, I guess.

But it's done uncritically. Unconditional acceptance of homosexual sex and love? Of course! That is actually progressive.

Female character who adventures and fights rather than stays at home? They must be NB! And I think we're supposed to buy that that is progressive too.

I'm wondering if they deal with birth control at any point. Gay sex on an boat adventure is a hell of a lot less risky.

LoobiJee · 23/09/2023 17:45

But it's done uncritically. Unconditional acceptance of homosexual sex and love? Of course! That is actually progressive.
Female character who adventures and fights rather than stays at home? They must be NB! And I think we're supposed to buy that that is progressive too.

That’s an entirely fair point.

It’s not that I didn’t do a fair amount of eye rolling on that. It’s more that I did absolutely loads of eye rolling on pretty much everything right up until I reached the “actually this is brilliant and I love it” stage, and threw myself into the complete nonsense of it. In fact the character I did the most eye rolling about at the start (cos too perfect to be true) was the one I’m hoping isn’t dead…

I absolutely loved Taika Waititi.

And the widows club was hilarious.

I'm wondering if they deal with birth control at any point.

Perhaps there’ll be a baby on board in season 2….

AtlasOfBirds · 24/09/2023 22:53

RomeoandJomeo · 23/09/2023 08:46

The young son/ daughter of the modern day gay couple (Toby?)... not much made of it, but a definite nod to the idea that the kid's gender was different from their sex (maybe non binary).
There was a zoom session with lots of people who had enjoyed the series that I participated in, and JF came along to talk about it (was lovely) and he made a point of saying how important it was to include and normalise these things (and also speculated that Newt would be Ace if living today).

Awww, shit.

Well, at least it didn’t remotely come across to me that way (can a background audio child character present in a trans/non-binary way especially when played by an adult actor, unless they say “I AM A TRANS CHILD”?) so I’m not sure what ‘normalising’ has occurred there. Very odd, and quite silly, I’d say.

RomeoandJomeo · 27/09/2023 13:53

AtlasOfBirds · 24/09/2023 22:53

Awww, shit.

Well, at least it didn’t remotely come across to me that way (can a background audio child character present in a trans/non-binary way especially when played by an adult actor, unless they say “I AM A TRANS CHILD”?) so I’m not sure what ‘normalising’ has occurred there. Very odd, and quite silly, I’d say.

It's a while ago now, and my memory is hazy, but I think I remember clocking that the child was called Toby but referred to as she when I heard it, and then having it confirmed by JF that the intention was to drop it in without comment / making a big deal of it. I think one of the threads running through the series was the changing attitudes to and acceptance of 'queer' identities of various kinds, so I guess it was part of that theme, and perhaps offered a 'compare and contrast' with the lesbian / drag king couple of a century earlier. Overall I liked the light touch approach, but in this particular instance it did make apparent that he was very much 'be kind' in his attitude to trans issues.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.