Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Feminism: Sex & gender discussions

Comedians who are actually funny and not captured

240 replies

WomenShouldStillWinWomensSports · 14/09/2023 10:14

Inspired by another thread as I don't want to derail the important discussion about Glinner's new book.

Which comedians don't include "jokes" about hating TERFs in their routines and aren't captured by trans ideology?

Not necessary, but bonus points if they don't rant about politics/Brexit like a Year 12 who just learned we have a government (I'm not a Brexiteer, I'm just sick of hearing Brexit rants when I signed up to watch comedy, it's not funny).

So far I've got:
Dave Chappelle
Glinner
Richard Ayoade
Mary Bourke (thanks Pink News for the article trashing her entire character because she had the audacity to say she was a woman not a cervix, great recommendation, she's really funny)

If you're a comedian feel free to name yourself here too, we all need more laughs.

OP posts:
FlemCandango · 14/09/2023 12:54

Stewart Lee was referencing Mumsnet and approaching the whole issue in a very refreshing and tangential way when I saw him live recently.

But to be honest though my views would probably have me strung up as a TERF if I expressed them all unmoderated - I am not going to decide my comedy affiliation on this one issue.

I think the political right have far too much to gain by getting the left all divided and infighting over Trans. I am not wholly unreservedly TERF and I have not drunk the kool aid from tra - I think most people are closer to the middle and the extremes on both sides get far too much oxygen as everyone else is too intimidated or confused to talk openly. Which will be the same for comedians they may end up having to take a side as there is a dangerous no man's land in the middle full of conversation land mines!

FKATondelayo · 14/09/2023 12:56

Jack Dee did a lot of terfy jokes in the last series of I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue.
And Fags, Mags & Bags (BBC Sounds) is full of terf material given it's very right on and made in Scotland. One episode is even about a man who enters a ladies-only marathon dressed as a penis.

LoobiJee · 14/09/2023 12:57

Ricky Gervais. Comedian. Funny. Not captured.

Dave Chappelle fails on your criterion of “funny”. I tried watching one of his stand up performances to see what all the fuss was about, but switched it off as it was viciously woman-hating and not in the slightest bit funny. Unless boasting about beating up women/threatening to beat up women is considered humour.

Around about the same time I watched a Chris Rock stand up performance which was really quite sexist but also very funny. It didn’t make me feel I was being subjected to seething hatred and contempt of women like Chappelle’s performance.

Is Richard Ayoade mainly a stand up or mainly an actor? Does he do much stand up?

BernardBlacksMolluscs · 14/09/2023 12:59

I think Alexi Sayle is a ruddy genius, and I feel fairly sure that he’s not going to be saying that some men are women any time soon

I also think that in common with lots of men he thinks that all this <gestures> isn’t very important really

but that doesn’t stop me finding him bleeding hilarious, even though he would loathe my politics!

FKATondelayo · 14/09/2023 13:03

Dave Chapelle is probably the greatest stand up comedian alive but he is also a misogynist. I think he's hilarious and brilliant. I don't like what he says some of the time. That's the trouble - you laugh at what you find funny and that isn't always what you're nice politically correct feminist frontal lobe would like you to laugh at. I think Frankie Boyle is genuinely hilarious but I loathe him so try and avoid him wherever possible as I hate the involuntarily laughter he gets out of me. I also think Katherine Ryan is the best stand-up working today, a brilliant writer / performer and she is very TWAW. Ricky Gervais - very hit and miss, sometimes brilliant, sometimes dreadful. I can't choose my comedy on the basis of my beliefs but it's nice when they sometimes collide.

I've seen James Acaster die in front of an audience of (mostly middle aged working class) women and he took it very badly indeed. Knob.

WomenShouldStillWinWomensSports · 14/09/2023 13:07

@BernardBlacksMolluscs Is Alexei still going? Haven't seen him doing anything for years!

Is there life on Mars? Is there life in Peckham!

OP posts:
PorcelinaV · 14/09/2023 13:10

Shortpoet · 14/09/2023 12:27

I saw Ben Elton I think in 2017/8 and he did a whole piece about the ridiculousness of cancelling Germaine Greer (to an audience that just didn’t get his point). Not sure where he stands now though.

That's kind of surprising from him actually. If I had to guess, I would have thought he would just be parroting the "inclusivity" line.

NashvilleQueen · 14/09/2023 13:11

I suspect Chris Fleming, personally, but I understand that he has to toe the line.

I absolutely love Chris Fleming and have wondered the same about him.

popebishop · 14/09/2023 13:12

hittingtheshelves · 14/09/2023 12:35

Oh wow. Some of the 'comedians' mentioned here is giving me a better understanding of you all.
What a shame.

Eh? Did you mean to write "a better understanding of the person who posted it"?
People on any part of MN have no control over what others post - a fact that eludes a lot of people who love to derail all conversations to "what FWR posters are like".

WomenShouldStillWinWomensSports · 14/09/2023 13:13

I'm looking up the suggestions BTW everyone. I'm finding some of them funny, others less so. One deeply upset me, probably won't be seeking them out again any time soon. But it is nice to have a resource of comedy suggestions that isn't all different faces with the same one point of view about the same few topics. And comedy is subjective!

Also to all those suggesting James Acaster, as I said on the Glinner thread, he is totally captured (I was highly disappointed as he used to be my favourite comedian and I really liked his stuff before he got all weird and aggressively political). I'm just really tired of having to tune out large parts of people's sets while they rant against reality.

OP posts:
FKATondelayo · 14/09/2023 13:16

Alexei Sayle is a good example. Genius, brilliant, hilarious but also a Corbynista. That said he takes the piss out of all political positions - especially the leftist one. He has a regular Radio 4 comedy show if you want to catch up OP. Alexei Sayle's Imaginary Sandwich Bar.

AlisonDonut · 14/09/2023 13:16

hittingtheshelves · 14/09/2023 12:48

@oldwhyno - Andrew Lawrence specifically (total racist).
I also have a problem with Ricky Gervais. I just think he's unbelievably second rate and don't understand why he is where he is at all.

So one person mentioned Andrew Lawrence [whoever he is, never heard of him] and this means it gives you understanding of all the posters on here?

Do you charge for your services to wokeism by the hour or the day?

NashvilleQueen · 14/09/2023 13:17

Andrew Lawrence is the Lawrence Fox of comedy. Don't like him at all.

BernardBlacksMolluscs · 14/09/2023 13:18

WomenShouldStillWinWomensSports · 14/09/2023 13:07

@BernardBlacksMolluscs Is Alexei still going? Haven't seen him doing anything for years!

Is there life on Mars? Is there life in Peckham!

Listen to Alexi Sayle’s imaginary sandwich bar on BBC sounds (‘Ello Alexi!’)

it’s so, so good. My kids also love it a lot

thanks to a PP for the Geoff Norcott podcast recommendation. That one’s going on my playlist

WomenShouldStillWinWomensSports · 14/09/2023 13:20

FKATondelayo · 14/09/2023 13:16

Alexei Sayle is a good example. Genius, brilliant, hilarious but also a Corbynista. That said he takes the piss out of all political positions - especially the leftist one. He has a regular Radio 4 comedy show if you want to catch up OP. Alexei Sayle's Imaginary Sandwich Bar.

Oh thank you! Funny coincidence, my car only gets Radio 4 (I generally don't like it which is why I only listen to CDs). Will try to find a programming schedule so I can hear Alexei Sayle, he is always good for a laugh and I used to love his sketch show (and his appearance in Whoops! Apocalypse which someone should send a DVD of to Russia as I think they must have missed it the first time around).

OP posts:
BernardBlacksMolluscs · 14/09/2023 13:21

PorcelinaV · 14/09/2023 13:10

That's kind of surprising from him actually. If I had to guess, I would have thought he would just be parroting the "inclusivity" line.

I saw him live in 2020. He no more thinks some men are women than I do, but toes the good lefty bloke ‘it’s not really that important, after the revolution love’ line

PorcelinaV · 14/09/2023 13:22

Oh wow. Some of the 'comedians' mentioned here is giving me a better understanding of you all.
What a shame.

Oh wow, you're trying to comedy shame people.

It's not going to magically make men into women you know!

FoghornUnicorn · 14/09/2023 13:24

Jerry Sadowitz, I’d imagine.

RavingStone · 14/09/2023 13:26

BernardBlacksMolluscs · 14/09/2023 13:18

Listen to Alexi Sayle’s imaginary sandwich bar on BBC sounds (‘Ello Alexi!’)

it’s so, so good. My kids also love it a lot

thanks to a PP for the Geoff Norcott podcast recommendation. That one’s going on my playlist

Yes! My teen and I listen to Alexei Dayle's imaginary sandwich bar. How could I forget. Love it.

RavingStone · 14/09/2023 13:26

duc748 · 14/09/2023 12:29

Lucy Porter? I dunno where she stands; I saw her years ago and thought she was funny. Not sure if she still does stand-up.

Second Lucy Porter too.

RavingStone · 14/09/2023 13:29

What a shame.

I'd be willing to bet you money that you can't accurately describe my position on this back to me.

NyanBinaryJohn · 14/09/2023 13:36

hittingtheshelves · 14/09/2023 12:48

@oldwhyno - Andrew Lawrence specifically (total racist).
I also have a problem with Ricky Gervais. I just think he's unbelievably second rate and don't understand why he is where he is at all.

So you have an unspecified issue with Ricky Gervais and therefore judge the posters on this thread?

I'm guessing he has held up a mirror and you couldn't handle that, perhaps?

Someone upthread mentioned Bill Bailey, but he's also on shaky ground (SS to limit exposure for the publication).

I suspect Sarah Millican is a raging TERF deep down. I should imagine that especially female comedians so not Eddie Izzard are too scared to speak out, after seeing all the shit flung at women like Joanne Rowling, Kathleen Stock and Maya Forstater (to name but a few) for speaking out about their rights and beliefs.

What about Shappi Khorsandi? Gina Yashere? Are they still around?

Comedians who are actually funny and not captured
CurlewKate · 14/09/2023 13:37

"Dave Chapelle and Ricky Gervais for example? I don’t see any evidence that either of them are racist."

Ah-but I don't seem much evidence that either of them is funny, either...

FKATondelayo · 14/09/2023 13:38

Gina yashere is now big (ish) in the USA.
Shappi is a big TWAW Be Kind-er.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.