Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Feminism: Sex & gender discussions

Comedians who are actually funny and not captured

240 replies

WomenShouldStillWinWomensSports · 14/09/2023 10:14

Inspired by another thread as I don't want to derail the important discussion about Glinner's new book.

Which comedians don't include "jokes" about hating TERFs in their routines and aren't captured by trans ideology?

Not necessary, but bonus points if they don't rant about politics/Brexit like a Year 12 who just learned we have a government (I'm not a Brexiteer, I'm just sick of hearing Brexit rants when I signed up to watch comedy, it's not funny).

So far I've got:
Dave Chappelle
Glinner
Richard Ayoade
Mary Bourke (thanks Pink News for the article trashing her entire character because she had the audacity to say she was a woman not a cervix, great recommendation, she's really funny)

If you're a comedian feel free to name yourself here too, we all need more laughs.

OP posts:
BernardBlacksMolluscs · 14/09/2023 13:40

CurlewKate · 14/09/2023 13:37

"Dave Chapelle and Ricky Gervais for example? I don’t see any evidence that either of them are racist."

Ah-but I don't seem much evidence that either of them is funny, either...

Tastes vary innit? I am demonstrably irrational in my hatred of Stewart Lee but there are plenty of misguided people here who love him

PriOn1 · 14/09/2023 13:41

Elaine Miller has done stand-up at the Fringe. I find her hilarious and believe she has posted before on Mumsnet about urinary incontinence. Any woman who can make that topic funny and easier to discuss is a genius, in my opinion.

CurlewKate · 14/09/2023 13:44

"Tastes vary innit?"

Tastes vary. Acceptance of misogyny and disablism shouldn't.

FlemCandango · 14/09/2023 13:49

DerekFaker · 14/09/2023 12:57

Stewart Lee is completely captured.

https://www.mumsnet.com/talk/womens_rights/4444132-What-has-Stewart-Lee-done

Lol fair enough. He is out then, you see this is why I assiduously avoid learning too much about people I enjoy in the entertainment industry you inevitably hear or see something you would rather not.

I am useless on this thread then 😅

Signalbox · 14/09/2023 13:51

I think Alexi Sayle is a ruddy genius, and I feel fairly sure that he’s not going to be saying that some men are women any time soon

He did a great interview with Helen Steel on the Spy Cops abuse scandal so I suspect you are right about that.

FatherJackHackettsUnderpantsHamper · 14/09/2023 13:54

I’d suggest Geoff Norcott. He might not be everyone’s cup of tea as he’s quite blokey but I’ve really enjoyed listening to his podcast What most people think.

I've never understood why he's known as a 'right-wing comedian'. I expect it must be because he's usually quite rational and politically central - which to an extreme lefty, is 'right-wing'. Kind of like if you're a grape, then an orange is probably the biggest thing in the whole world!

He's on the Jeremy Vine show on Channel 5 quite often, and I very often find myself agreeing with much of what he says.

FatherJackHackettsUnderpantsHamper · 14/09/2023 13:56

Owen Jones fulfils 50% of the criteria - he comes out with a load of absolutely hilarious things, whilst keeping a completely straight face; except...

willWillSmithsmith · 14/09/2023 13:58

AlecTrevelyan006 · 14/09/2023 11:54

Andrew Lawrence

Is he the one who does a brilliant Prince Harry? He’s pretty funny in a scathing, cynical way.

WomenShouldStillWinWomensSports · 14/09/2023 14:00

I fully agree with some of the PPs who have said that the things I watch/laugh at aren't always things I agree with or which represent my politics or other world views. I'm not particularly anti-Tory but I laugh at a lot of the jokes about Boris (and there are so, so many). I quite liked a few of Jeremy Corbyn's ideas and in 2016 was really hopeful that he'd be the change we needed, but I laughed at the jokes about him, too. And that's fine.

But I definitely want to add more to my mental list of people to Youtube when I just don't want to listen to yet another man doing a pro-trans rant and making out it's edgy and that they're "taking a stand" by adding "their voice" to a misinformed pile-on against natal women that's been going on for far too long.

OP posts:
WomenShouldStillWinWomensSports · 14/09/2023 14:03

Having said that, I think there's an argument here that if we constantly listen to, tolerate, partake in pro-TRA anti-TERF culture and accept it because those comedians are in a difficult position (a position which I do understand), and we don't ever know of or experience any alternatives, partake in them or support them financially, they won't get the bookings in comedy clubs, they won't get the views on their view counter on YouTube, they won't get the reviews in the media or the bookings on panel shows.

And eventually they'll disappear.

The super-right ones won't, they've got a much bigger political movement and ideology behind them, so it will just be the ones who were supportive of women's rights. And then our choices will be to become handmaidens to the right or to the left but we'll be handmaidens either way.

OP posts:
CurlewKate · 14/09/2023 14:05

@FatherJackHackettsUnderpantsHamper"
I've never understood why he's known as a 'right-wing comedian'."

Because he is?

Transparent2 · 14/09/2023 14:06

hittingtheshelves · 14/09/2023 12:35

Oh wow. Some of the 'comedians' mentioned here is giving me a better understanding of you all.
What a shame.

I haven’t even heard of half these people, let alone listened to them, let alone found them funny. Am I included in your ‘understanding of you all’?

You might want to have a little think about a) tarring a varied group of people with the same brush, b) condemning people on the basis of their sense of humour, and c) self righteousness.

CurlewKate · 14/09/2023 14:08

I'm happy to laugh at comedians who have opinions that are different to mine. But misogyny isn't an opinion. Disablism isn't an opinion. Racism isn't an opinion.

ScribblingPixie · 14/09/2023 14:08

I've seen James Acaster die in front of an audience of (mostly middle aged working class) women and he took it very badly indeed. Knob.

LOL, I'd loved to have seen that. How did his taking it badly manifest itself?

WomenShouldStillWinWomensSports · 14/09/2023 14:09

CurlewKate · 14/09/2023 13:37

"Dave Chapelle and Ricky Gervais for example? I don’t see any evidence that either of them are racist."

Ah-but I don't seem much evidence that either of them is funny, either...

Comedy is subjective. There's no "absolute" comedy that all will find funny. Have I missed your suggestions?

OP posts:
ScribblingPixie · 14/09/2023 14:11

I saw Ricky Gervais recently and he gave a shout out to the 'sisters'. He goes in any direction he feels like, doesn't he?

NyanBinaryJohn · 14/09/2023 14:13

FKATondelayo · 14/09/2023 13:38

Gina yashere is now big (ish) in the USA.
Shappi is a big TWAW Be Kind-er.

Shame about Shappi. You'd think her Iranian background gives her a clear understanding of women's rights given how things are in Iran.

BernardBlacksMolluscs · 14/09/2023 14:14

CurlewKate · 14/09/2023 14:08

I'm happy to laugh at comedians who have opinions that are different to mine. But misogyny isn't an opinion. Disablism isn't an opinion. Racism isn't an opinion.

all the absolute statements. Well done you

Those are opinions by the way, or at least positions which will inform the opinions people hold

also, without wanting to upset you, what constitutes racism for example is an opinion which can change over time

BernardBlacksMolluscs · 14/09/2023 14:15

WomenShouldStillWinWomensSports · 14/09/2023 14:09

Comedy is subjective. There's no "absolute" comedy that all will find funny. Have I missed your suggestions?

I am unsure that this poster has a sense of humour, so she might be ill equipped to make suggestions

she is unintentionally funny though, so there is that

NashvilleQueen · 14/09/2023 14:19

Do we know what Jo Brand's stance is? I'd imagine she's GC but you never know these days.

AlecTrevelyan006 · 14/09/2023 14:21
CurlewKate · 14/09/2023 14:22

@WomenShouldStillWinWomensSports I haven't made any suggestions-because all the comedians I find funny are firmly TWAW and all the ones mentioned here who aren't, with the possible exception of Geoff Norcott, have objectively obnoxious material about women, black people or disabled people. Comedy is definitely subjective-basic human decency isn't.

FatherJackHackettsUnderpantsHamper · 14/09/2023 14:26

@CurlewKate

I've never understood why he's known as a 'right-wing comedian'.

Because he is?

Ah, silly me - I was basing it on his expressed opinions on a wide spectrum of political and social issues, as shared in hours of national TV. I didn't know it was something he was born as.

Or are you meaning because he voted Tory? If we take it that everybody who votes Tory is right-wing and everybody who votes Labour is left-wing, for whom would somebody nearer the middle vote - if they wanted a party that might actually have a chance of winning? Or is it not an option to not be either RW or LW?

The general consensus on MN is that the Tories are scum, but Labour don't know what a woman is, so where does that leave us, when it's going to be one or the other that get in? Maybe democracy itself is the true winner, eh...?

FatherJackHackettsUnderpantsHamper · 14/09/2023 14:28

Shame about Shappi. You'd think her Iranian background gives her a clear understanding of women's rights given how things are in Iran.

Interestingly, I always remember her saying, when she was starting out, something along the lines of "Everybody DOES have freedom of speech in Iran... just maybe not for very long!"

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.