Please
or
to access all these features

Feminism: Sex & gender discussions

Women's rights general conversations - Thread 6

997 replies

Kucinghitam · 31/07/2023 04:25

Continuation of Thread 5.

There is so much excellent information and so many active discussions on FWR that I wondered if it would be useful to have a thread to sort of "cross-fertilise" between them - airing little thoughts or vignettes that wouldn't themselves merit their own thread, to highlight other posts/threads of particular interest or to point to notable developments on fast-moving threads so that casual observers know where to look.

(For example, "the X thread has meandered onto a fascinating discussion of Y" or "Poster P's amazing analysis on thread Z might have relevance to the scenario in thread W" or "Has anybody noticed this recurring theme that keeps coming up??" or even "Random bloke asked me to smile while I was choosing onions in the supermarket, grr"- that sort of thing).

Women's rights general conversations - Thread 5 | Mumsnet

Continuation of [[https://www.mumsnet.com/talk/womens_rights/4759300-womens-rights-general-conversations-thread-4? Thread 4]]. There is so much excel...

https://www.mumsnet.com/talk/womens_rights/4807817-womens-rights-general-conversations-thread-5?

OP posts:
Kucinghitam · 06/08/2023 05:47

SqueakyDinosaur · 05/08/2023 22:03

People had to take sick leave and get therapy because students said they identified as various sorts of helicopter. I don't think you appreciate the seriousness of this situation.* It's LITERAL GENOCIDE.

*Nor do I. Fucking pathetic.

To be fair, before you even get to the Genocide, there are so many levels of escalating distress, e.g. Exhausting and Feeling Unsafe and Microagressions and Denying The Existence - Educate Yourself!

OP posts:
StephanieSuperpowers · 06/08/2023 10:34

I think the performance of the support animals has to be reviewed. They clearly were not sufficient.

SqueakyDinosaur · 06/08/2023 12:19

Perhaps they needed support animals of their own? Support insects, maybe?

bignosebignose · 06/08/2023 14:34

I’ve just read that. Pitiful stuff.

CrossPurposes · 06/08/2023 15:01

Call me petty but I was jolly happy to see the traitor to her sex Megan Rapinoe sky a penalty.

SinnerBoy · 06/08/2023 16:20

Jeez, what a bark at the moon that load of old shite was!

duc748 · 06/08/2023 17:03

Should every children's story ever created be re-written to correct its 'lack of LGBTQIA+ representation'? The Brothers Grimm, maybe? Or just JKR? I've never read HP, but I gather it does have gay characters anyway. Why should anyone take these sad-sacks seriously?

StephanieSuperpowers · 06/08/2023 17:11

Why should anyone take these sad-sacks seriously?

I think the question of why anyone ever took those sad sacks seriously will be the future's version on how could people fall for the nazis.

Gonners · 07/08/2023 18:05

@IcakethereforeIam Police are going to treat sexism and misogyny like smoking.
Will this lead to the sexism/misogyny equivalent of vaping?

BinturongsSmellOfPopcorn · 07/08/2023 18:09

similar tactics to those deployed in the major push to reduce smoking in the UK

Tax it heavily and make the packaging an unattractive colour?

Seriously, I hope whatever they're doing works but my skepticism level is high.

Boiledbeetle · 07/08/2023 18:17

IcakethereforeIam · 07/08/2023 17:36

Police are going to treat sexism and misogyny like smoking.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/aug/07/police-in-england-and-wales-will-pilot-project-to-shift-sexism-and-misogyny

By heavily taxing it? Or making it highly addictive?

I don't want to go and read the article

angelico53 · 07/08/2023 18:59

It's the usual behavioural stuff. In thus case I hope it's effective. But I have my doubts about any of this stuff. Any effect they identify could be linked to other stuff - changes in collective consciousness, for want of a better description.

IcakethereforeIam · 07/08/2023 19:32

Sorry, I didn't make it clear. This is sexism and misogyny within the force.

@BinturongsSmellOfPopcorn Grin

DeanElderberry · 07/08/2023 20:12

Treat sexism and misogyny like smoking? Do it in groups huddled round the doors at any hour of day or night, taking time out from work as is convenient?

Really?

That's supposed to be a good thing?

IcakethereforeIam · 07/08/2023 20:20

A bad habit that they should give up? I don't think the metaphor stretches much beyond that otherwise the victims are waste, dimps, litter and the concern is for the wellbeing of the person with the habit.

Gonners · 07/08/2023 20:23

Do it in groups huddled round the doors at any hour of day or night, taking time out from work as is convenient?

Or, if it's raining, in the privacy of your own (or someone else's) home.

IcakethereforeIam · 07/08/2023 20:26

Will they get patches or gum?

DeanElderberry · 07/08/2023 20:27

Gonners · 07/08/2023 20:23

Do it in groups huddled round the doors at any hour of day or night, taking time out from work as is convenient?

Or, if it's raining, in the privacy of your own (or someone else's) home.

In cars in the car park . . .

Gonners · 07/08/2023 20:58

Or bus shelters. Amusingly, big red No Smoking signs went up on either side of the bus shelter at a local stop - one of those with tilted seating that you slide off, the whole thing less than a metre deep and open at the front. The next day all became clear when the gas company turned up to repair a leak.

DeanElderberry · 07/08/2023 21:10

Mind you, joking apart, it is a shockingly inappropriate comparison. A bad habit that affects the health of the people who practice it versus an evil corporate mindset that at best prevents the police from protecting women and at worst leads to additional crimes being committed.

Who thought this up?

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

SqueakyDinosaur · 07/08/2023 22:55

I'm slowly reading my way through the whole of the Casey Report on the Met, and it's absolutely horrifying. It's going to take a bit more than nudge theory to sort that out.

SinnerBoy · 07/08/2023 23:01

IcakethereforeIam · Today 17:36

"Police are going to treat sexism and misogyny like smoking."

Come on mate, you can't smoke by that entrance. Move down a bit and put your dog end in the fag bin.

Come on mate, stop calling her a slag and telling her she loves it. Go on, go into Spoons and have a pint.

Look mate, this is serious. Stop kicking her face off. I MEAN it! Seriously, if you don't stop kicking her face off, I'm going to have to issue you with an £80 fixed penalty fine. You wouldn't want that, would you? It'd seriously ruin your weekend.

duc748 · 07/08/2023 23:02

It's just a stupid sound-bite; gaslighting the public.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.