Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

There’s a male in the women’s 200m final today

NotBadConsidering · 06/08/2022 11:13

Christine Mboma. Lane 4. Denied a woman a place in the final. May well deny a woman a medal. Will definitely push women down a place regardless.

The awful irony is Mboma needs to win to demonstrate advantage and allow World Athletics to bring in a ban, but doing so will deny a woman success today 😡.

OP's posts:
Please
or

OperaStation · 06/08/2022 11:14

I thought there were rules against men competing in women’s swimming competitions?

Please
or

NotBadConsidering · 06/08/2022 11:15

Athletics.

OP's posts:
Please
or

TeenDivided · 06/08/2022 11:17

Please
or

Helleofabore · 06/08/2022 11:30

The very fact these males can so quickly change their events as World Athletics gets up the gumption to close another off to them is not commented on enough in mainstream media.

How many females can change their event weeks before a championship as Mboma has in the past? And other males too. And then still win a medal placement, despite previously being champions at other lengths so recently.

Hopefully Coe will get that new policy through.

Please
or

achillestoes · 06/08/2022 11:38

Mboma has advantage if Mboma is male. There is no necessity for Mboma to win to prove this.

Please
or

cushioncovers · 06/08/2022 11:38

Yep so wrong on so many levels. Makes an absolute mockery of the sport.

Please
or

Tomnooktoldmeto · 06/08/2022 11:41

I too am hoping that this will be sorted by Coe shortly. Mboma has quite clear male advantage which is apparent already at just 18

There is no place for men in Women’s sport however they present, and DSD’s with XY chromosome’s are men NOT women

Please
or

Davros · 06/08/2022 11:44

Is Mboma trans-identified or have a DSD? Just out of interest, either way they should not be allowed to compete against women

Please
or

Helleofabore · 06/08/2022 11:45

Mboma has a difference in sex development. Maybe 5ARD?

Please
or

NotBadConsidering · 06/08/2022 11:47

achillestoes · 06/08/2022 11:38

Mboma has advantage if Mboma is male. There is no necessity for Mboma to win to prove this.

Of course I know that. But that was the only way they could justify to the Court of Arbitration for Sport that it was fair to exclude Semenya from middle distances; because Semenya had competed in middle distances and had demonstrated advantage. I think Semenya only did one or two 400m but it was enough to get counted. So Mboma demonstrating that advantage at 200m would do the same.

This would mean that the 100m and distances above 1500m would still be mixed sex (like the Steeplechase 🤨) unless Coe follows through with his statements that he’s going to exclude males from all events from now on, and maybe just didn’t have time to do it before the Commonwealth Games.

Which is great, but doesn’t help the women today unfortunately.

OP's posts:
Please
or

NotBadConsidering · 06/08/2022 11:50

Helleofabore · 06/08/2022 11:45

Mboma has a difference in sex development. Maybe 5ARD?

It’s never been released which male DSD. We know Semenya has 5-ARD, but it’s not clear about Mboma. On the balance of probabilities it’s likely 5-ARD or PAIS. Not that the details matter, Mboma has male advantage and is freely running in a race against women. It’s all just being allowed to happen right in front of our eyes and there’s nothing anyone can do about it.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Helleofabore · 06/08/2022 11:54

Agreed notbad it doesn’t matter which one at all.

Please
or

MisgenderedPaul · 06/08/2022 12:01

Please
or

nauticant · 06/08/2022 12:03

I get where you're coming from NotBadConsidering, it's a bit like this quote (wrongly) attributed to Churchill:

You can always count on the Americans to do the right thing after they have tried everything else.

Please
or
Please
or

littlbrowndog · 06/08/2022 12:16

Puts me off watching the womens athletics this does. At least at worlds champs the commentary told you which was the athlete with dsd. Now we are just expected to deny what we are seeing

Please
or

ZoeQ90 · 06/08/2022 12:25

Christine Mboma has a DSD, she is not 'male'. She has been brought up and considers herself female. With a DSD, that is all we can and should go on when referring to her gender. Whether or not she should be able to compete alongside women without DSD is another discussion but please at least respect her gender.

Please
or

NotBadConsidering · 06/08/2022 12:29

I don’t care about Mboma’s “gender”. I care about Mboma’s sex. Mboma’s sex is male. It is a fact. I have zero respect for athletes who knowingly compete in the category of the opposite sex.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Helleofabore · 06/08/2022 12:31

ZoeQ90 · 06/08/2022 12:25

Christine Mboma has a DSD, she is not 'male'. She has been brought up and considers herself female. With a DSD, that is all we can and should go on when referring to her gender. Whether or not she should be able to compete alongside women without DSD is another discussion but please at least respect her gender.

Christine Mboma has a DSD that will be a DSD that only males experience and will have resulted in Mboma having a male virilised puberty.

How Mboma has been raised is actually not relevant in this case.

And gender also has nothing to do with it.

Do you understand that Mboma is only subject to the regulations that they have had to abide by because they are male? And that a female would not have to abide by any regulation at all.

How about you respect females who need to have fair sport?

Please
or

WeBuiltCisCityOnSexistRoles · 06/08/2022 12:35

"She has been brought up and considers herself female"

I'm torn between asking exactly how someone can be brought up as a female, or resisting the urge so the thread isn't derailed away from the main point - men shouldn't compete in womens events.

Please
or

WeBuiltCisCityOnSexistRoles · 06/08/2022 12:38

You do wonder why someone who doesn't even understand the difference between sex and gender, feels they should post here to lecture us on our tone and tell us we aren't being respectful enough.

Fuck that. Truth isn't disrespectful.

Please
or

Dreikanter · 06/08/2022 12:52

Mboma is ranked 4th in the world in 2022 in the Women’s 200m with a time of 21.87.

In the men’s 200m, that time ranks 3241 in the world this year.

It’s a travesty.

Please
or

ChateauMargaux · 06/08/2022 12:52

@ZoeQ90. Sport is segregated by sex. The court of arbitrarion of sport ruled that athletes who are legally female but genetically male and have gone through male puberty could only compete in the 800m and 1500m if they reduced their levels of testosterone to 3 times that of women. It is incomprehensible that this was not applied to all events. Coe and every other official has known about this for years. Speaking about it now and saying this proves the rules for the 800m and 1500m are right and should be extended is cowardly. They got it wrong, there should be no place in female sport for genetic males. These athletes, their coaches and every official in every race knows this confers an unfair advantage and knows why sport is segregated into male and female but turn away because women are not important.

Well we are!!

Please
or

ZoeQ90 · 06/08/2022 13:00

This message has been withdrawn at the poster's request

Please
or

Ereshkigalangcleg · 06/08/2022 13:07

It's perfectly obvious for any woman who has gone through female puberty and especially if she has ever been pregnant, what sex she is. If you don't start having periods you would have medical examinations and if you had CAIS which is what you mean, this would be discovered. No need for most of us to have a test. I know this is a silly Twitter trope but honestly, get better arguments.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.