My feed

to access all these features

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention.

Women's health

Large painful lump next to anus

194 replies

Riddlediddle · 28/06/2019 18:58

Sorry if this is TMI but I've been on a diet recently and the last week or so it's been more of a struggle to pass a bowel movement which has meant I've had to sit on the toilet for much longer than I normally would and strain more. Yesterday I had horrendous pain constantly in my anus which I just assumed was from the recent issues but it's got even worse today so I've done some prodding and I have a huge hard bulge on the left side of my anus moving up towards my vagina but it's all underneath the skin so I can't see anything other than swelling. It's painful constantly whether I'm standing,sitting or laying down. Will this be from the straining? I've done some Googling and can't work out whether it's Rectocele Expanded? Also how the hell do I treat this? Heat packs or ice packs? Any help is appreciated as I genuinely am in so so much pain.

OP posts:
mineofuselessinformation · 28/06/2019 19:10

Bartholin's cyst?

PenguinsCantFly · 28/06/2019 19:10

I'd try and see a doctor. I suffered with something that sounds similar when I was heavily pregnant and it turned out to be a perianal abscess.

It may not be this, but the sooner you get this ruled out the better.

You may find a sitz bath helps to ease the pain/pressure (very warm shallow bath or using a portable bidet pan directly in the toilet).

olympicsrock · 28/06/2019 19:12

You need to go to see a doctor ASAP. Sit on a bag of peas wrapped up in a tea towel and take pain relief.

Riddlediddle · 28/06/2019 19:13

Would a cyst feel like a large lump (by large I mean at least 5cm long by about 2cm wide)? I've been laying in bed for hours and the pain isn't going at all

OP posts:
PolkadotLollipop · 28/06/2019 19:16

Poor you OP, that does sound unpleasant. Go to the doctor as soon as you are able. No one on MN can diagnose you. Meanwhile try to drink plenty of fluids and eat fibre rich food to keep your bowel habit regular and of passable consistency.

PenguinsCantFly · 28/06/2019 19:16

An abscess could easily be that size Sad - I'd try and see medical advice OP. Have you got a walk in centre? Failing that; 111?

WatcherOfTheNight · 28/06/2019 19:17

I agree with a Pp ,perianal abscess or one of the other types you can get in this area .
Please get it looked at if it's very painful,they can turn nasty quite quickly & you may need antibiotics or to have it drained.
My DH has had quite a few .

Unburnished · 28/06/2019 19:18

Can you bear to take a look with a small mirror? If you can describe the colour, position, size, shape, etc. it’d help. A rectocele would normally bulge out. Does it move when you bear down?

Riddlediddle · 28/06/2019 19:18

There is a walk in centre about 20min drive away so I could go there tomorrow. Not even going to attempt it on a Friday night with drunks. Oh how on earth will I cope with those plastic chairs for hours if I can't even lay flat without being in agony???

OP posts:
WatcherOfTheNight · 28/06/2019 19:20

They may let you lay down in a side room if quiet but be prepared if it's busy ,DH was waiting hours when antibiotics didn't work ,he was in agony.

Riddlediddle · 28/06/2019 19:21

I have looked with a mirror but all it looks like is swelling to the left side of my anus. Nothing else is visible. The lump is clearly under my skin and goes from the side of my anus up towards my vagina. It's hard and rounded and extremely painful. If I bear down it doesn't really move I can just feel it more with my fingers

OP posts:
BettyBoozer · 28/06/2019 19:22

Hopefully not, but this sounds like a perianal abscess. This won't get better on its own. Get yourself to a&e as if it is, will need to be drained surgically. Hot baths with salt may help you in the short term.

WatcherOfTheNight · 28/06/2019 19:23

You should have it looked at sooner rather than later op ,if it's perianal abscess they tunnel inside Sad

birdonawire1 · 28/06/2019 19:26


rosydreams · 28/06/2019 19:29

maybe piles you get them when really constipated ,go to doctor

Unburnished · 28/06/2019 19:33

Sounds like an abscess then. You need to get it seen to/drained asap. Good luck. Sounds awful.

Riddlediddle · 28/06/2019 19:46

Thank you everyone I will go to the walk in centre in the morning. I also feel quite 'flu like too feeling sick and whole body aching so will mention that to them too

OP posts:
LoafofSellotape · 28/06/2019 19:48

Have you used compresses and a salt bath etc?

plinkyblonk · 28/06/2019 19:50

@Riddlediddle if you are feeling unwell as well along with the cyst/lump I'd maybe try and go to an out of hours clinic tonight if you have one. Hope you get it sorted xx

Riddlediddle · 28/06/2019 19:51

No I've not done anything to it yet. I' bed home alone and can't even bear the thought of moving out of bed because of the pain involved. This really isn't too far off the pain of childbirth

OP posts:
foreverchanging19 · 28/06/2019 19:56

If you're feeling off colour and flu like then definitely find a way to go tonight, it's really not worth waiting until tomorrow.

milienhaus · 28/06/2019 19:56

If you’re feeling flu-ey you absolutely should at least ring a doctor tonight - worst case could be sepsis.


Don’t want to miss threads like this?


Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

Log in to update your newsletter preferences.

You've subscribed!

Sunshinegirl82 · 28/06/2019 19:59

Sorry you feel so rotten OP.

I mean this really kindly but if you have an infection that is making you feel very unwell you are only likely to feel less able to get to the walk in tomorrow as it will have had more of a chance to get a hold.

Can anyone come and help you? I really think you need to be seen tonight from your description. You could try 111 to see if they can get you a ooo appointment? Might cut down on waiting time.

I hope you feel better soon.

MollyHuaCha · 28/06/2019 19:59

Seek medical advice. Hope you feel a lot better soon.

PenguinsCantFly · 28/06/2019 20:00

I went to a walk in clinic for my abscess and they called the hospital ahead so I didn't have to go to A&E, I was sent straight to the surgical admissions team.

I know you might not have an abscess, but I'd really recommend ruling it out ...especially with the flu symptoms!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.