Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

prince William - earthshot prize

Samcro · 27/09/2021 09:45

could not believe it when I saw the advert for it last night. so PW is presenting this thing. the same Prince who flies all over the world.
obviously won't be watching as him and DA lecturing people about climate change is so hypocritical.
(rant over)

OP's posts:
Please
or

AgnesNaismith · 27/09/2021 09:47

Isn’t it a bit grim to turn trying to save the planet into an X Factor style competition?

Please
or

ChurchofLatterDayPaints · 27/09/2021 13:14

Ignore, and watch a Republic video?

Please
or

MagnoliaMcLadyDeek · 27/09/2021 13:17

I think the finalists all have very impressive projects and it's a marvellous boost and publicity for their efforts. I applaud Prince William setting up what will undoubtedly be a very high profile competition which will have a legacy that will be influential for many years to come.

Prince William has hardly travelled abroad since Covid and when he does he often uses commercial flights.

Unlike someone who has been swanning around USA in borrowed private jets Hmm

Please
or

MagnoliaMcLadyDeek · 27/09/2021 13:19

The awards will run over the next ten years. This isn't a flash in the pan, here today forgotten tomorrow X factor style competition.

Earthshot Prize
The Earthshot Prize is a new global prize for the environment, designed to incentivise change and help to repair our planet over the next ten years.

Please
or

MagnoliaMcLadyDeek · 27/09/2021 13:23

The most prestigious global environment prize in history.

Well done William.

"The Earthshot Prize is the most prestigious global environment prize in history, designed to incentivise change and help repair our planet over the next ten years.
The Prize aims to turn the current pessimism surrounding environmental issues into optimism, by highlighting the ability of human ingenuity to bring about change, and inspiring collective action."

Please
or

MopaniTree · 27/09/2021 13:23

Does Prince William really use commercial flights? I thought he chartered aircraft from commercial airlines and privately used them? Such as an Easyjet 'plane, but only him and his family using it?

Please
or

cabingirl · 27/09/2021 13:45

The finalists are so impressive. I hope they all get a raised profile to help them raise money as well as the winners who get the investment prize.

Please
or

cruzrack · 27/09/2021 13:47

The same people applauding William have slagged off Harry 😂 the irony!

Please
or

CanIPleaseHaveOne · 27/09/2021 16:08

@MagnoliaMcLadyDeek

The most prestigious global environment prize in history.

Well done William.

"The Earthshot Prize is the most prestigious global environment prize in history, designed to incentivise change and help repair our planet over the next ten years.
The Prize aims to turn the current pessimism surrounding environmental issues into optimism, by highlighting the ability of human ingenuity to bring about change, and inspiring collective action."

Consumption has to be one the main issues in climate change as consumption drives production.
So a man who has a few palaces, castles, and houses, all fully stocked on the off chance that he will visit is very much part of the problem rather than the solution.
They really should choose appropriate things to do...
Please
or

Samcro · 27/09/2021 16:16

surely it would have been better for someone who doesn't travel so much to do it.
I suppose I am just fed up with being lectured to by people like them.
What does PW personally do to help save the planet~?

OP's posts:
Please
or

BranchyBranch · 27/09/2021 16:19

He needs to get a job, that lad

Please
or

CanIPleaseHaveOne · 27/09/2021 16:32

@Samcro

surely it would have been better for someone who doesn't travel so much to do it.
I suppose I am just fed up with being lectured to by people like them.
What does PW personally do to help save the planet~?

I really agree with this. In fact I find it really brazen - look at what I say and not what I do.

There are many things the royals can do but they really should not do this one.
Please
or

AGreenerShadeofKale · 27/09/2021 16:36

Op, I know what you mean.

Please
or

UsedUpUsername · 27/09/2021 16:46

@MagnoliaMcLadyDeek

I think the finalists all have very impressive projects and it's a marvellous boost and publicity for their efforts. I applaud Prince William setting up what will undoubtedly be a very high profile competition which will have a legacy that will be influential for many years to come.

Prince William has hardly travelled abroad since Covid and when he does he often uses commercial flights.

Unlike someone who has been swanning around USA in borrowed private jets Hmm

Lol are you part of his comms team or what? 😆
Please
or

Samcro · 27/09/2021 16:51

but PW is doing this not PH. so PH does not come into it.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Tooembarrassingtomention · 27/09/2021 17:07

Private train trip the purpose of which seemed to be to change coats 3 times a day
helicopters tome between Norfolk and London
trips to private island?

Not a hypocrite at all

Please
or

FreshFreesias · 27/09/2021 17:16

It’s a good idea but it would carry more weight if the RF didn’t fly about in helicopters, jets and live in lots of enormous heated houses.
Prince Charles took 19 flights by private jet in 2019 and is setting up a climate change channel on Amazon.
Hopeless.

Please
or

nildesparandum · 27/09/2021 20:07

I will not be watching this.

Someone who uses helicopters for short journeys, drives around in gas guzzling range rovers etc. Also someone to whom the present fuel crisis will not affect.

No Thankyou William

Please
or

Serenster · 28/09/2021 14:24

@nildesparandum

I will not be watching this.

Someone who uses helicopters for short journeys, drives around in gas guzzling range rovers etc. Also someone to whom the present fuel crisis will not affect.

No Thankyou William

The trouble with this though is that with this attitude you rule out all the genuinely globally powerful people who might actually be able to introduce changes, since, like it or loathe it, they all fly a lot on private jets.

Take Michael Bloomberg for example. Billionaire, former mayor of NYC, and now UN Special Envoy on Climate Ambition and Solutions (and who has been announced as a partner to the Earthshot Award winners by developing their ideas). He travels pretty much everywhere by private jets. Bill Gates travelled to Paris when the Paris Accords were being agreed by…private jet!

Throwing the baby out with the bath water isn’t really a helpful attitude when you need to win hearts and minds, and you need the truly globally powerful and/or influential on board and backing these endeavours. Hopefully in time they too will come to realise that this form of transport is no longer acceptable, but if you have a blanket rule about it now, nothing is going to change…
Please
or

Roussette · 28/09/2021 14:30

Prince William has hardly travelled abroad since Covid and when he does he often uses commercial flights

He has once. Nothing on him regularly using them!
And he is forever using helicopters to ferry his family from KP to Amer Hall

Please
or

Samcro · 28/09/2021 14:30

@Serenster I get that, and its why I think DA is ok doing it,.
but someone like PA who as far as I know has never done anything "green" not so much. there must have been other people just as well known and better placed to do it.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Roussette · 28/09/2021 14:33

Maybe William could have a word with his Granny too
When Earthshot was announced she was busy lobbying Scottish ministers for her properties in Scotland to be exempted to new climate change laws
And she succeeded
Farcical

Please
or

Serenster · 28/09/2021 14:57

@Roussette

Prince William has hardly travelled abroad since Covid and when he does he often uses commercial flights

He has once. Nothing on him regularly using them!
And he is forever using helicopters to ferry his family from KP to Amer Hall

They all use a mix of commercial/charter and helicopter flights though. Normally when travelling outside the country (e.g. official FO trips to Germany, Scandinavia, the US, South Africa the Middle East etc) are almost always commercial flights for all of them (you can look this up, it’s normally reported on). Unless there’s a security reason not to - William and Kate were on an RAF flight to Pakistan when they toured there, for example.

The charter flights/helicopters tend to be when they are visiting a couple of places in one day (and if they cost more than £15,000 they are individually itemised in the annual financial statements). The “Princess Anne at 70” documentary showed her being transported by helicopter to 3 separate engagements in one day, then back to London for an evening engagement. Logistically that probably wouldn’t be possible by road. Or where commercial travel is unfeasible - like when Prince Charles went to an overseas stateman’s funeral at short notice and there was no commercial flight available.
Please
or

Roussette · 28/09/2021 15:02

Or when PC took a helicopter flight to give a talk on climate change a few months ago?
It was criticised

You can quote commercial flights all you like but let's not pretend it's the norm.

A helicopter regularly lands in the grounds of KP to take K,W and kids to Amer Hall

Please
or
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.