My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

This topic is for sponsored discussions. If you'd like to run one with us, please email [email protected].

MNHQ have commented on this thread

Sponsored threads

Mumsnet users share the novel ways they make time for themselves with Nintendo

259 replies

JustineBMumsnet · 23/06/2020 11:38

This sponsored discussion is now closed.

It can feel impossible to make time for yourself at the best of times, let alone when you’re juggling working from home and playing the role of teacher on top of your day-to-day home life. With free time often scarce and always precious, Nintendo would like to hear about the novel ways you’ve been making time for yourself at the moment.

Here’s what Nintendo has to say: “Keeping your mind active and taking some time out for yourself is really important and using quick games that engage your brain can be a great way to relax. Dabbling in puzzles, board games and a spot of brain training can help you to focus your mind on the here and now and give you the chance to relax when you have a few precious moments of quiet.”

Have you been taking extended loo breaks to achieve some much needed alone time even if the scenery isn’t the most appealing? Perhaps now the kids are home all the time you’ve got them involved with your relaxation rituals? Have you been entertaining yourself with video or brain training games? What do you do to relax if you have just a few minutes to yourself?

Whatever the ways you’re making time for yourself, share on the thread below to be entered into a prize draw where one MNer will win a £200 voucher for the store of their choice (from a list).

Thanks and good luck

MNHQ

Insight Terms and Conditions apply

Mumsnet users share the novel ways they make time for themselves with Nintendo
OP posts:
heymammy · 29/06/2020 12:57

I usually end up staying up late to get some peace and quiet, youngest DC hasn't been going to be until around 10pm during lockdown so I need a couple of hours just to read Mumsnet or watch Netflix!

Older DC are teens so only appear downstairs when they want some company, usually just after the youngest has gone to bed of course 🤦

ohdannyboy · 29/06/2020 12:58

Walk the dog with my Ipod on - just what I need to de-stress and come back invigorated - it's always nice too if you meet a fellow dog walker for a socially distanced chat.

thismushroom · 29/06/2020 14:01

I doubt this is unusual but I use food shopping, going to the toilet and cooking dinner as ways to be able to say I'm having time out. And the other only viable option is to stay up later than I'd like to get things done. Again, pretty normal for a working mother of 3 I guess.

Duckyneedsaclean · 29/06/2020 14:07

I've taken up running just to get some alone tine - anyone that knows me would be absolutely shocked as I am the least exercise-ey person ever. Just actually that desperate Grin

RainbowDash101 · 29/06/2020 17:15

I usually knit and crochet or read, but in the last month I’ve been using a zwift bike and cycle for about 45 mins each day, and also I was lucky enough to get my hands on a Nintendo switch and I’ve been playing animal crossing 😍. I also have prof Layton and brain training but it’s animal crossing which I’m really enjoying. It’s relaxing!

NewModelArmyMayhem18 · 29/06/2020 17:54

Well it's not novel but there are two things I do. A) get at dawn (I naturally wake up with the light) and have a good 2 1/2 hours to myself. B) Started listening to audiobooks which truly enables me to zone out with headphones on. Bliss.

Beckham19 · 29/06/2020 20:22

I like to build LEGO, once mine are in bed.

Nothing more relaxing, than building LEGO. I can switch off and it also keeps my hands busy.

redbook · 29/06/2020 22:07

My runs have been getting longer and longer, as it's my only time I don't have children grabbing me. It's a good motivator to get fit!

Sleepybumble · 29/06/2020 23:46

Staying up too late just to be on my own. I'm knackered the next day but I love the quiet time at night

Quietvoiceplease · 30/06/2020 08:45

The most important part of me time is space to think or be quiet. I have a busy job and three DDs at home, so this can be difficult to find.
I naturally wake up very early - about 5am - and spend a couple of hours alone, with coffee, and my thoughts. Its my saving grace, and allows me to breathe deeply and start the day. It feels more important than sleep (it helps that I don't sleep in though, I realise).
Sometimes I do very little other than daydream, sometimes I play solitaire card game old-school with actual cards, sometimes i read the paper or browse the internet. I always make a list for the day. On a warm morning, I sit outside and listen to the birds.
Honestly love it.

lovemyflipflops · 30/06/2020 10:31

I love to paint, watercolours and my imagination, or looking out of a window, just the thing to clear my mind and relax.

dadshere · 30/06/2020 10:50

I batch cook whenever I can and then use the extra time saved midweek to read! I have just celebrated my birthday and I received a lot of books. Absolute heaven to curl up in bed and read in peace!

Belo · 30/06/2020 11:31

I set the alarm 1.5 hours before I need to so that I can have 45 minutes reading and a 45 minute workout before I get showered. Previously my 45 minute reading time was on my commute. My 45 minute workout was at the gym by the office. With WFH at the moment (and indefinitely!) If I don't make that time for myself in the morning, work, children and household chores stop me getting any time to do these.

PhotoFinder · 30/06/2020 12:56

I like to do some logic puzzles before bed as I find it helps me unwind and clear my mind from overactive thoughts.

Cherrybakewellard · 30/06/2020 15:41

Getting up at 6am for a bike ride alone, 12 miles of bliss.

frankie001 · 30/06/2020 21:10

Go for a walk with my new rescued dog. She is amazing and has saved my mental health.

WatchoutfortheROUS · 30/06/2020 21:12

Staying up late for some netflix (which isn't great the next day!).

Also, volunteering to go and queue if we need anything form the supermarket.... for half an hour phaffing on my phone Grin

MissusMaker · 30/06/2020 22:49

I secretly adore the weekly shop.

I'm a SAHM and I used to shop several times a week whilst my kids were school - because it suited me to do this. Since lockdown obviously I have the kids at home ALL THE TIME. I'm a mild introvert and desperately miss silence and along time. Once a week when DH is home from work I head to Tesco.

I love it from beginning to end.

I get in the car and drive in complete silence. I don't put the radio on and I don't talk out loud. I'm grinning the whole way (10 mins) as I listen to nothing. Once I park (in peace) I often sit in the car and read/play with my phone for a cheeky 15 mins. The actually shopping isn't mindless anymore - between the distancing and one way systems, the changes/shortages and the fact that I now only go once a week I have to concentrate hard to get it all right - but it's a quiet, familiar task that I can calmly plod though. I use scan as you shop so interactions are minimal. By the time I pack up the car and drive home I've gained enough head space to cope for a while longer.

CrocodileFondue · 30/06/2020 23:53

Currently potty training so I give my DC an iPad, sit him on the loo and chill out with a book for half an hour at regular intervals.

user1498728467 · 01/07/2020 01:06

My youngest two girls are now teenagers so we can now spend time chatting about more grown up things. We go for walks in the evenings and after a shower we settle down for some screen time which means, we all have some 'me' time.

Hanab · 01/07/2020 09:35

I wake up early!
I give them a lay in including the hubby and enjoy the early morning peace and quiet with a hot cuppa and a private workout session. ( trying reaaaalllyyy hard to get fit and losen the joints.. wish me luck!)

noseresearch · 01/07/2020 10:22

My perfect alone time is going for a morning walk, and getting some peaceful fresh air! Also in the late evening I wind down by playing Simpsons tapped out app game on my phone (great free game, it’s easy to play, nice to check in on my city)

Montydoo · 01/07/2020 11:23

My weekly Yoga class (now by Zoom) in the loft room - I feel really 'zen' afterwards.

wastedyearsandtears · 01/07/2020 13:05

Cleaning the bedroom. Go up there, close the door and sit on the bed and re-read old cards, sent when the children were younger, look at old photos, sort out clothes for the charity shop, try them on, put back on hangers, decide they will look ok when I lose a stone, make sure I pile lots of stuff behind the door so its impossible for anyone to enter. He he.

Possiblywickedandlazy · 01/07/2020 15:23

I love getting up an hour early and baking or similar. I find it really refreshing. Boy when I have had enough sleep though!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.