My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

This topic is for sponsored discussions. If you'd like to run one with us, please email [email protected].

MNHQ have commented on this thread

Sponsored threads

Mumsnet users share the novel ways they make time for themselves with Nintendo

259 replies

JustineBMumsnet · 23/06/2020 11:38

This sponsored discussion is now closed.

It can feel impossible to make time for yourself at the best of times, let alone when you’re juggling working from home and playing the role of teacher on top of your day-to-day home life. With free time often scarce and always precious, Nintendo would like to hear about the novel ways you’ve been making time for yourself at the moment.

Here’s what Nintendo has to say: “Keeping your mind active and taking some time out for yourself is really important and using quick games that engage your brain can be a great way to relax. Dabbling in puzzles, board games and a spot of brain training can help you to focus your mind on the here and now and give you the chance to relax when you have a few precious moments of quiet.”

Have you been taking extended loo breaks to achieve some much needed alone time even if the scenery isn’t the most appealing? Perhaps now the kids are home all the time you’ve got them involved with your relaxation rituals? Have you been entertaining yourself with video or brain training games? What do you do to relax if you have just a few minutes to yourself?

Whatever the ways you’re making time for yourself, share on the thread below to be entered into a prize draw where one MNer will win a £200 voucher for the store of their choice (from a list).

Thanks and good luck

MNHQ

Insight Terms and Conditions apply

Mumsnet users share the novel ways they make time for themselves with Nintendo
OP posts:
BellaVida · 24/06/2020 10:53

Every day is spent homeschooling the 4 DC, with my DH working all day too. I have been furloughed, but m trying to get training done. In between, I’m trying to cook, clean and repare for a house move, so it’s all quite chaotic.

My downtime is taking the dog for a walk, but most days at least one of the DC join me. The only alone time I get is a quick shower or when I go to do the shopping. They even talk to me through the toilet door!

We have an old Nintendo DS of my DC and I used to do Brain Training on that. I would also play Sims or Nintendogs- before we got our own dog. It would be nice to have a Switch and play some more active games, as I’m definitely still not getting enough exercise.

alwaysataldi · 24/06/2020 11:20

I go into our greenhouse and water our tomatoes and peppers, (take a cup of tea and my ipod) - those 20 minutes are so are just what I need at the moment.

WobblyPenumbra · 24/06/2020 11:21

I’m secretly quite pleased when I get to the supermarket and see a long queue outside. I can spend a guilt-free fifteen minutes standing in the sunshine listening to a podcast and playing Pokemon Go.

CatMit86 · 24/06/2020 12:44

On sundays my husband takes our baby out in the morning, giving me a chance to lie in a bit. I have a bath, do a face mask, listen to music and read a magazine. Total bliss!

LadyMonicaBaddingham · 24/06/2020 13:06

I get up half a hour before the DC to have a coffee in peace.

I play Patience at least once a day to have some quiet 'me' time (though, tbh, I detest that phrase) .

Learning a language through Duolingo is also a good thing for a chunk of time out!

Wafflehouse · 24/06/2020 13:23

Dp and I have both been working throughout, although with our working hours rejigged to fit around the dcs being at home, so I’ve been guilty of having too many late nights just to feel like I’ve had a bit of time as me and not a colleague/amateur teacher. On the rare occasions dp and I have both been in the house I’ve gone back to a long abandoned project of making a quilt out of baby clothes and finding new podcasts to listen to along with it.

Even just half an hour or so is enough to make me feel like I’ve lost myself in something that isn’t work/schoolwork/housework and achieved something at the same time.

I wish I could stop the late nights and have the time to myself in the mornings instead but both dcs have been early risers since they haven’t had to get up for school.

ponygirlcurtis · 24/06/2020 14:30

I am another one who has been enjoying playing Animal Crossing after the kids are finally in bed. I love that it's real time so if I go in around 10pm it's all dark and peaceful with just the glowbugs floating about and the sound of the sea... Aaaaaaaah! Grin I am not too bothered about anything other than wandering about and relaxing!

EvilHerbivore · 24/06/2020 16:11

Playing Yoshis woolly world after the kids are in bed! Or some tv and a foodie treat of some kind

JulesJules · 24/06/2020 16:46

I wake up hours before the rest of the household and get up, make coffee, check my emails & the news and potter a bit until everyone else gets up. It's bliss having that time to myself, especially since we've all been in the house during lockdown and I am shielding.

lindauk5 · 24/06/2020 16:59

I get up before everyone else, make myself a coffee and go sit in the garden in the quiet listening to the birds and planning my day or surfing mumsnet. Sometimes I only get 10minutes before the hubby or daughter find me but other days a get an hour and its glorious.

oceany · 24/06/2020 17:01

Up early before the kids

SnowyMouse · 24/06/2020 19:42

I let them on Animal Crossing for some peace and quiet.

WashYourFins · 24/06/2020 20:42

Bit of escapism with some online D&D with friends... in the evenings when kids are down. Nice break from reality!

bottlenose301 · 24/06/2020 22:21

I've been doing those weekly virtual pub quizzes for the whole of lockdown. I compete virtually against friends and it's been good fun.
Also binged watched game of thrones from start to finish in about a month BlushI used to think it wasn't my thing and finally took the plunge was soon addicted
Also got into reading again

MumC2141 · 24/06/2020 22:21

A bit of quiet time reading when I can.

Spirael · 24/06/2020 22:58

I've never been particularly green fingered, but I've done more gardening this year than ever before. It started off as a learning activity to do with the children, but they bored of it quickly and I was left tending to all the seedlings.

I've been finding it very relaxing to go out there each evening to water and feed the plants, and see how much they've grown. Seeing the flowers blooming make me happy while I'm WFH, and I love being able to serve home-grown food for dinner!

Now the plants are grown the children are starting to take more of an interest again. So hopefully there has been some educational benefit too! Smile

dointhedo · 25/06/2020 01:43

Staying up too late once the kids are in bed, playing Two Point Hospital and/or lying down quietly. Very relaxing because unlike at work, if my hospital goes pear shaped I can just restart the level Grin

evespudding · 25/06/2020 05:31

Getting up early before everyone else. Running and listening to music.

YesIDoLoveCrisps · 25/06/2020 07:51

I have had very, very little time. When I have it’s been to shop or clean the house while my husband takes the kids somewhere for an hour Sad it’s staring to get me down. I haven’t ate a meal or showered alone. Reading this has made me realise I need to make sure I am stricter about having some time.

UselessTrees · 25/06/2020 07:58

Ditto on finding some peace out in the garden, watering the plants in the evening. Not been much of a gardener previously, but I've found it very calming during lockdown.

Gazelda · 25/06/2020 10:43

My alone time is my weekly trip to the supermarket for my click & collect. It's 20 mins drive each way when I can have the radio on to my choice and sing along if I want to
I sometimes add an extra snack to the delivery and then sit in the supermarket car park to enjoy it in peace.

LittenKitten · 25/06/2020 11:29

Another Animal Crossing fan here! The children now understand that mum needs to go on twice a day to check turnip prices Wink. I remember playing it on the GameCube in my 20s but I don’t think I got as much out of the game then as I am now. (We do play as a family too at weekends.)

I’m a big introvert so I have found it tiring having everyone at home. Once we’ve done school work/walked dogs and the kids are settled in the afternoon playing or watching tv (occasionally on the switch or Xbox if they’ve been especially good) I’ll put on headphones and listen to a podcast or watch something on Netflix while I prep dinner or fold the washing etc.

DH and I take it in turns doing bedtimes, so on my nights ‘off’ I’ll have a bath, go for a walk with a friend or watch TV and maybe do some drawing. And always read before bed!

IceBearRocks · 25/06/2020 12:02

Mum of 3 ....boy with High Functioning ASD 12 and a severely disabled boy too 10 ... DD9...whilecevryone is home schooling or occupied. I've been playing Animal Crossing...so whilst shielding....I've been travelling to Islands, collecting and growing fruit, making new friends and busily making and developing my own Island! I have never really been a gamer...but I really enjoy this little challenge ....and wake up early on a Sunday to see what the HHA have awarded me for my beautiful home and to collect turnips from Daisey Mae!!!
My own house is a shithole ....but nevermind..its kept me sane !! Cheers Nintendo !!

TheGriffle · 25/06/2020 13:03

I’ve been staying up very late just to enjoy the peace and quiet.

yasmin0147 · 25/06/2020 14:37

I’ve been getting up earlier than the kids so that I can have some peace before they wake up.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.