My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

This topic is for sponsored discussions. If you'd like to run one with us, please email [email protected].

MNHQ have commented on this thread

Sponsored threads

Mumsnet users share the novel ways they make time for themselves with Nintendo

259 replies

JustineBMumsnet · 23/06/2020 11:38

This sponsored discussion is now closed.

It can feel impossible to make time for yourself at the best of times, let alone when you’re juggling working from home and playing the role of teacher on top of your day-to-day home life. With free time often scarce and always precious, Nintendo would like to hear about the novel ways you’ve been making time for yourself at the moment.

Here’s what Nintendo has to say: “Keeping your mind active and taking some time out for yourself is really important and using quick games that engage your brain can be a great way to relax. Dabbling in puzzles, board games and a spot of brain training can help you to focus your mind on the here and now and give you the chance to relax when you have a few precious moments of quiet.”

Have you been taking extended loo breaks to achieve some much needed alone time even if the scenery isn’t the most appealing? Perhaps now the kids are home all the time you’ve got them involved with your relaxation rituals? Have you been entertaining yourself with video or brain training games? What do you do to relax if you have just a few minutes to yourself?

Whatever the ways you’re making time for yourself, share on the thread below to be entered into a prize draw where one MNer will win a £200 voucher for the store of their choice (from a list).

Thanks and good luck

MNHQ

Insight Terms and Conditions apply

Mumsnet users share the novel ways they make time for themselves with Nintendo
OP posts:
Rigbyroo · 27/06/2020 09:49

I stay up late and listen to podcasts or watch the Facebook history sessions which have been taking place .

PashleyB · 27/06/2020 11:16

I've been staying up later which is probably not sensible but very nice when evenings are light.

UnicornsForLife · 27/06/2020 14:03

I like to get up 1 hour before work when I get the house to myself. Its a good start to the day.

theneverendinglaundry · 27/06/2020 14:24

I've also been staying up much later than usual, and have been immersing myself in books.

Aethelfleda · 27/06/2020 17:52

I water my allotment.
Veggies don’t judge!

allthingsred · 27/06/2020 20:25

I get up half hour before the kids just so I can have a cup of tea & plan ahead for the day in peace.
I always make sure the house is immaculate the night before my day off so I can chill & not spend my rest day catching up with house work

Runningshorts · 27/06/2020 20:37

In the evenings after the children are in bed I'll listen to an audiobook. Now they're a little older I make sure I get some me time in the day too, to read, online shop, or play games on my phone or 3DS. I love puzzle games like sudoku and picross and adventure games. Walks in the evening are good too.

SunshinePeekingThrough · 27/06/2020 22:45

I make time for myself by going to bed early and reading.

helloswellow · 28/06/2020 08:16

We do a lot of things as a family so to make time for ourselves we each make sure to take some time looking after DS on our own. That way we both get alone time, but also one on one time with DS.

I'm on my 3rd replay of Zelda: Breath of the Wild and I'm still loving how different each play through has turned out to be.

ButterflyOfFreedom · 28/06/2020 12:02

Hiding in the loo is a good one! Though it doesn't always work as sometimes they'll follow me in or knock on the door...
I sometimes hide in the kitchen too - say I'm cooking (pasta which may take up to 45 mins....!!).
I do like walks & runs too plus go for a swim when it's allowed.
Love the '5 minutes peace' book!!

PickledChicory · 28/06/2020 12:07

Dh is master at this and Ive learned fast during lockdown. Cup of tea while the kids play in the garden or have their bath is about the height of it for me tho with a 6 year old, 3 year old and baby. Dh managed a power nap while the 3 kids watched a film!

Thorilicious · 28/06/2020 16:02

I go upstairs to 'put away laundry' no one else comes to help, so I can take some time to myself first.

Choconuts · 28/06/2020 16:15

We have just bought Animal Crossing and I wish we'd bought it at the beginning of lockdown - it's so relaxing. The whole family are obsessed and we are having to set a timer for turns!!!! I can envision buying another switch soon - would it be bad to keep this one just for the grown ups Wink it would definitely help me relax more?

Mitcholiver · 28/06/2020 16:23

I have been running either in the morning or evening. Although I love my kids honestly time to myself is my motivation to get out and go for a run!! Freedom for an hour

goosious · 28/06/2020 19:18

My daughter is currently five weeks old so haven't had much time for myself at all recently! I've taken to sitting on the toilet for ten minutes after the 5am feed just to catch up on rubbish on the internet to feel like it's a bit of me time!

Smile13 · 28/06/2020 19:38

My children love to play their Nintendo over FaceTime with their cousin. I then enjoy some undisturbed time reading a book. I can sit in the same room as them but switch off to their games!

RomaineCalm · 28/06/2020 20:41

I've started doing the ironing in the bedroom rather than downstairs. Nobody disturbs me just in case they get roped in for a shift!

I put something to watch on the iPad and make a start. I may also have a rest on the bed with my book while everyone thinks I'm ironing - have even been known to have a snooze and no one is any wiser.

fishnships · 28/06/2020 21:01

While the bath water is running I play pinball then read a chapter of my book in the bath.

ClaraSais · 28/06/2020 21:16

After I drop my daughter off at preschool I sneak off for ten minutes to the beauty spot for peace and my sanity! But don’t tell anyone 😂

frowner · 28/06/2020 23:08

Started couch to 5k, not a natural runner but getting out of the house and exercising has helped clear my mind and been positive.

wellingtonsandwaffles · 28/06/2020 23:25

I’ve taken up running and realise if I run for longer that’s more alone time! So I’ve got good pretty quick. Did a half marathon by May!

Smileymoo · 29/06/2020 00:07

I'm a fulltime working mum and I found that taking an extended break at lunchtime really helped me get through the lockdown. If my diary permits, I'll take 90mins. I'll go out for a walk for about 45 mins/ one hour while listening to a podcast, then come back and grab some lunch and read the paper online. I finish work later as a result but I find that taking a longer break in the middle of the day makes me feel less tired.

nadaley · 29/06/2020 01:01

I’ve been taking time to cook and declutter - both tasks I can immerse myself in for an hour or so and with tangible results

jacqui5366 · 29/06/2020 08:13

For me it's getting up at 5:30 and having that hour to myself, watching 'grown up' television, making a 'special coffee' for myself and having a breakfast in peace - for me it's the perfect preparation for the day.

SusanWalker · 29/06/2020 11:56

I love sewing or knitting for some me time. But I'm also teaching myself Latin. It's going slowly but if I put in five minutes on some vocab whilst I'm queueing for my prescriptions then I feel like I'm achieving something.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.