My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

This topic is for sponsored discussions. If you'd like to run one with us, please email [email protected].

MNHQ have commented on this thread

Sponsored threads

Share your tips for surviving family holidays with Drac from Hotel Transylvania 3 - £300 voucher to be won

200 replies

DracLordOfDarkness · 09/07/2018 09:23

Hello, hello it’s me Drac here, vampire, and owner of Hotel Transylvania! A lavish five-stake hotel for monsters and now humans, too. I have come to Mumsnet because I desperately need your help. My little poisonberry daughter Mavis has booked a family vacation - she thinks I need a break from running the hotel. Even though a family vacation seems more work and stress than just staying at home! Not only do I have to keep my daughter Mavis and her human husband Johnny happy, I also need to be a good Vampa (vampire-grandpa Wink) and entertain Dennis-a-vich my 5 year old grandson; and don't even mention the hotel guests like Frank, Murray, Wayne and all of his pups, Tinkles, and Blobby.

I like the idea of spending some quality time with the family and hanging up my cloak but how do I do it without the arguments, and the tantrums, and the agony?! Please Mumsnetters, help me by telling me how you survive your family vacations without wanting to turn into a bat and fly away or wishing you were at home with a bowl of monster soup?

I will enter everyone who posts their most zing-worthy family vacation tips on this thread into our special Hotel Transylvania 3 prize draw where one monster or human will win a £300 voucher of their choice. If you win you could use it to come visit my monstrous hotel!

Love

Drac

Standard Insight T&Cs apply
Share your tips for surviving family holidays with Drac from Hotel Transylvania 3 - £300 voucher to be won
OP posts:
Larnipoo · 15/07/2018 16:32

Best tips I can give:-
1/Borrow children’s audiobooks from Library to download onto tablet/play in car
2/ long car journeys. Wrap up little pressies (Poundland/daily mail freebie Lego)
3/ lollipop for takeoff to help ears popping

MaGratgarlik1983 · 15/07/2018 17:32

Lots of snacks! Travel is very important to us and we want our little one to grow up believing travel is important too. Seeing how other people live broadens your mind and helps to eliminate prejudices. We've travelled to Iceland, Slovenia, and Croatia so far with our almost three year old and we do not do resorts! So we take lots of snacks, colouring books, sticker books, duplo, and happyland people. We time car journeys well and try to visit some playgrounds as well as museums! But our little guy loves an adventure!

Tanfastic · 15/07/2018 22:54

Don't go camping 😂. We diid, it pissed down with rain all week and we wanted to kill

Gill81uk · 15/07/2018 23:05

I make myself a planner a few weeks before the summer holidays and start making plans and writing things on it. It helps me to spread things out and get a good balance as I can see at a glance when we're busy and when we're available. I think it's just as important to get a few rest days for them to chill out at home and play with toys as well as doing lots of trips and parks with friends

boptanana · 15/07/2018 23:37

Don’t overplan and have the flexibility to change plans if you see a better opportunity, the weather is rubbish, the kids are tired etc .

Swoogs232 · 16/07/2018 09:40

CBeebies mum fail!! I missed cbeebies showing my daughter’s card this morning and I wonder if any other mums out there possibly recorded it. It wa shown this morning (16/7/18 between 6:45am and 7:15am) if I could get a clip it would mean the world xx

Swoogs232 · 16/07/2018 09:42

I’m new to mums net and wanted to start my own post but clearly have messed up and messaged on an existing post 🙈sorry!!

TARNYS · 16/07/2018 11:24

I like to make plans.

let the children choose what they would like to do. Make it fun. Try and go for family activities so everyone will be happy.

Have actvities to do in the accomadation eg colouring, stickers, Lego, board games.

On your days out take lots of snacks and drinks. Picnics. Have activity books for the car journey. Play I spy, spot the car colour.

Lovely bike rides, walks. Nature spotting. Fun imaginative games. Treasure hunts.

Fun fun fun. Lots of laughs, making memories, having great family time.

GhostsToMonsoon · 16/07/2018 12:00

-Make an extensive checklist before doing the packing.
-Go somewhere with wifi.
-Take games and activities for the children to do in accommodation.
-Get shopping delivered (if in UK).
-Go to places they will enjoy (eg beach).

treboreuk · 16/07/2018 12:08

leave the little drac's at home with the grandparents ;-) failing that, try go somewhere where there is plenty of activities that aren't going to be booked up before you get there

Ratbagcatbag · 16/07/2018 16:15

For me, if possible, throw money at it wherever you can.
So book days out, pay for fast passes, buy dinner out etc etc.

I know it's not always possible but there have definitely been times it's helped so much. I use vouchers/special offers/ early discounts etc to be able to do it all.

Also, take a new set of books/ magazines. I find it holds interest much more than existing things from home (iPad being an exception).

DracLordOfDarkness · 16/07/2018 16:21

Bleh Bleh Bleh

OP posts:
Mrsr8 · 16/07/2018 18:16

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Mrsr8 · 16/07/2018 18:18

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Montydoo · 17/07/2018 07:26

Keep some sort of routine in place for your little monsters, keep an eye on what they are eating (both e-number wise and what food has been out in the open for too long), keep spraying on the factor 50. have some 'down-time' between 1 and 3 pm so the rest of the day goes tantrum free, and raid the pound shop for little toys for 'surprises' to open, use, make and play with throughout your holiday.

DracLordOfDarkness · 17/07/2018 09:29

@Sleavercole123 Really? Do you think that would keep the little monsters quiet?

OP posts:
bec4everuk1 · 17/07/2018 14:42

My most zing-worthy family vacation tips would be to make sure that little ones have their afternoon nap even when away otherwise it becomes too much stimulation for them and they get tired and grumpy as we found out on our first holiday the hard way he screamed the whole entire evening meal out

My second most zing-worthy family vacation tips would be to plan what doing each day that way you're less likely to miss out on everything you wanted to do whilst you're away.

My last most zing-worthy family vacation tip would be to make sure you have enough to keep the children occupied on the journey to holiday and back home otherwise they can become restless and grumpy.

CMOTDibbler · 17/07/2018 17:57

Don't make a holiday hard work - if you aren't normally the sort for a cycling as a family, a whole holiday isn't a great idea (and I know a family who did this..). Don't have a fixed schedule of enforced fun - you need time to relax. Not everyone will like everything, but let each member choose stuff they really want to do.

GetKnitted · 17/07/2018 21:31

We are always holidaying on a budget, so my top tip is skipping the extra fee for breakfast by taking croissants, pain au chocolat and pancakes from Aldi instead. I drew the line at taking the toaster Blush

MrsTerryPratchett · 17/07/2018 23:12

My tip? Have my DD.

She's adaptable, social, cheerful and energetic. So holidays are exhausting busy but not stressful. She also LOVES Hotel Transylvania so if you could actually send me the address I'll drop her off there. Just stick a couple of stamps on her when she gets too much and post her home.

Pigeonpea · 18/07/2018 12:52

I pack a surprise activity bag for my daughter - crafting kits, colouring, books about the place we are going to
I always pack UNO - it's a family favourite and can be played by all for hours
Snacks!!! Lots!!!!
My little one also packs a bag of her own with her stuff in......
Audio CD's and books downloaded on devices for everyone
And yes, movies downloaded, you just never know when it's going to be a rain day!

Jux · 18/07/2018 17:53

Take as many books as you can carry (this is where Kindle wins).
Read.
A lot.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

daniel1996 · 18/07/2018 19:52

Try and keep to a holiday routine, tell your little ones where they will be going during the day, and (zoo, beach or bus trip) and take a rucksack of supplies, drinks snacks, first aid kit, change of underwear and sun cream. An afternoon nap when you know they are getting crotchity so that you can have some down time between the next outing.

Metellaestinhortobibit · 18/07/2018 20:32

Join the local social media groups for your holiday destination to find out what's on in the area Smile

butunlikely · 18/07/2018 20:45

Assume you will get less sleep and more tantrums than when NOT on holiday, when on holiday.... Avoid a nasty shock. And maybe be pleasantly surprised on one day when it's like being at home and you get an hour to yourself in the evening!

Also sand is the devil.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.