My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

This topic is for sponsored discussions. If you'd like to run one with us, please email [email protected].

MNHQ have commented on this thread

Sponsored threads

Share your tips for surviving family holidays with Drac from Hotel Transylvania 3 - £300 voucher to be won

200 replies

DracLordOfDarkness · 09/07/2018 09:23

Hello, hello it’s me Drac here, vampire, and owner of Hotel Transylvania! A lavish five-stake hotel for monsters and now humans, too. I have come to Mumsnet because I desperately need your help. My little poisonberry daughter Mavis has booked a family vacation - she thinks I need a break from running the hotel. Even though a family vacation seems more work and stress than just staying at home! Not only do I have to keep my daughter Mavis and her human husband Johnny happy, I also need to be a good Vampa (vampire-grandpa Wink) and entertain Dennis-a-vich my 5 year old grandson; and don't even mention the hotel guests like Frank, Murray, Wayne and all of his pups, Tinkles, and Blobby.

I like the idea of spending some quality time with the family and hanging up my cloak but how do I do it without the arguments, and the tantrums, and the agony?! Please Mumsnetters, help me by telling me how you survive your family vacations without wanting to turn into a bat and fly away or wishing you were at home with a bowl of monster soup?

I will enter everyone who posts their most zing-worthy family vacation tips on this thread into our special Hotel Transylvania 3 prize draw where one monster or human will win a £300 voucher of their choice. If you win you could use it to come visit my monstrous hotel!

Love

Drac

Standard Insight T&Cs apply
Share your tips for surviving family holidays with Drac from Hotel Transylvania 3 - £300 voucher to be won
OP posts:
dannydog1 · 11/07/2018 14:36

If with extended family eg grandparents have some time apart, and hopefully share the kids! Relaxed evening meals in self catering accommodation works best for us, and share the cooking. Research activities and don’t try doing too much.

fishnships · 11/07/2018 14:39

Do some research in advance to find some places you want to visit then keep the other days free for 'spur of the moment' things you feel like doing.

clam77 · 11/07/2018 16:19

Go somewhere with wifi!!!!!!!!!

Didiusfalco · 11/07/2018 16:34

Bring everything you need from home to help aid sleep, so all soft toys, pillows, bedtime books, music etc. No one has a nice time if they’re exhausted.

Don’t get hung up on an agenda either - be flexible.

MrsMarigold · 11/07/2018 18:27

Hold your tongue when it comes to relatives.

pongopig · 11/07/2018 19:14

Try to make sure everyone has a bedroom, if someone is sleeping in the living room on a sofa bed they will get pretty fed up waiting for everyone else to go to bed. Other than that, bring teabags.

MrsFrTedCrilly · 11/07/2018 20:29

Ensure both parents get a “time out” time from —demanding little monsters—- children
Lower your expectations, it’s not going to be unicorns and rainbows all the time.
Give each child opportunity to chose one thing each day so they feel like they’re getting choice.
And threats...lots of them Grin

oldmums · 11/07/2018 20:58

DONT do it! if you do just suffer like the rest of us :)
i find long walks, afternoon naps and watching the children at night time so parents can have some time together is the best way and keeping your opinions to your self . GOOD LUCK your going to need it xx

katiewalters · 11/07/2018 21:11

Go somewhere with great children's pools, childrens entertainment. Do things that the children will enjoy. Dont let them go to bed too late.

AndHarry · 11/07/2018 21:19

Keep expectations of culture and relaxation low, otherwise you’ll get frustrated when it doesn’t happen. Book childcare for one evening so you can look forward to a grown-up dinner.

kateandme · 11/07/2018 21:22

centre it around good food.nice picnics.restaurents good breakfasts.walk to café.look for delcicious pastry shops.
up to a point be the adult.if they grump over a castle or landmark tell them to just behave for in their future I garuentee they will lokk bac and be so grateful mum and dad took them to all thes great places.
don't push to hard.sometime all you want to do is nothing and that is ok.
always take a bag so you can have with you some water.a book.towel etc.ad any eseential for days out.
ask around for the best places and acitivitys.the locals are in the no.
learn a bit of language your going to if you can.key words help both you and them.
research before you go.markets.local restaurents.activities.prices etc.but don't gt bogged down in having to have a itinery.it never goes to plan!

rupert23 · 11/07/2018 22:07

We usually plan a couple of trips for our holiday like a water park or something .the boys get to choose a couple of things they want to do. I like to relax on a sun bed round the pool if I can whilst they swim.its important that everyone has time to do what they want to do.then hopefully we can all have a fun holiday

FogCutter · 11/07/2018 22:39

I make sure every day we do things the kids enjoy mixed in with some things we enjoy.

Keep the kids fed and watered, mine are a nightmare if they are hungry.

Get out and about, lots of exercise and fresh air. I have 2 boys who ( like dogs) need exercising at least twice a day.

7KidsnoTV · 12/07/2018 00:06

Take an 'emergency' bag with you, filled with things to do, in case of bad weather. Card games, Fun bingo with small prizes, puzzle books, Paper,pens and pencils, and easy board games, can all get the family having fun together and can turn a miserable rainy day into a fun day.

lovemyflipflops · 12/07/2018 08:19

On holiday we just want to have fun and be ourselves just like Johnnystein and Dracula, so it's finding a 'castle' which is family friendly, has lots of thing to do and see, a kids club is nice but not essential to enable mum and dad to plug into a socket and recharge our batteries. A good menu is a plus, a good supply of O Negative for the family is always welcome.

voyager50 · 12/07/2018 08:59

Take the grandparents with you! You get time to yourselves and the kids have fun without you!

PenguinsCantFly · 12/07/2018 09:05

Tips for car journeys ...
•plenty of snacks dotted all around the car
•a traffic jam kit - a box filled with activities to keep the kids entertained if you get stuck in a long traffic jam

Tips for when on holiday
•snacks again - you need plenty of food on demand!
•a small bag of toys for each child. If old enough, they can choose what to put in their bag
•sticker books for down time

qate · 12/07/2018 10:45

Our DS is at the age (13 months) where he needs to be entertained, and can't be left in kids clubs as he's too young. We make sure we have a supply of his toys with us, and we don't push him too much - in fact, he probably naps more on holiday because he's busy doing things that tire him out far more than at home (ie swimming pool, etc). Our greatest sanity saver though is that each day, one of us gets to disappear for 1-2 hours for some total alone time - whether this is for a massage, off to the bar for a quiet drink, beach and book - so we all feel like we've had a holiday!

MakeTeaNotWar · 12/07/2018 12:21

If we're near a beach - no matter what the weather - then the day is a success. So much scope for fun as long as there is sand, sea and stones to be played with. Other top tip is to make sure DC have had enough sleep and that they don't get a chance to become too hungry which leads to meltdowns (I include myself here)

stickladilove · 12/07/2018 12:52

Snacks , more snacks and money for emergency snacks.
Have low expectations, we don't stick to the usual routine but won't disrupt bedtimes.
So enough sleep and not too hungry
Happy children =Happy parents

mrsglowglow · 12/07/2018 14:21

Research online before the holiday. So many discount offers and deals that can be pre booked for day trips, museums etc. Don't over do it and make sure you have a good mix of free days to go with the flow and let the kids chill.

One tip I was given years ago was to always request the vegetarian option on in-flight meals as they tend to be better quality. Don't ask me why but they really are.

SusanWalker · 12/07/2018 15:13

Have some days planned as going out and doing things days and save some for chilling out at the holiday park doing activities. Try and fit in a swim at the pool everyday, usually last thing in the afternoon as it's great for unwinding if you've had a busy morning. But most of all remember you are on holiday and if you are running a bit late it doesn't really matter.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

MummyBtothree · 12/07/2018 16:11

Plan in advance but don't plan to do too much on your holiday as it can be exhausting and you end up needing a holiday to recover from your holiday!.

guest2013 · 12/07/2018 22:00

I am from Transilvania. Although I've lived in the UK longer now! But I've always wondered why it never mentions in the film that Transilvania is in Romania? At one point one of the characters says "you can see Budapest from here"?? But no mention of my beautiful country or any cities in it.
Sorry, no answering the question but it's so annoying!

mitalmanda · 12/07/2018 22:23

I try and do an annual staycation with my daughter self-catering in a static caravan. Once we're settled, unpacked, bearings found and hopeful sun shining..great! But until I've packed bags, packed food & essentials, packed all into car, driven for 3hrs, checked in, check caravan is clean or actually clean it again to satisfy my ocd, unpacked said car contents into caravan, cooked dinner, cleared up...I find a large vino the best tip! Another tip, win lottery and go all inclusive abroad with guaranteed sunshine, kids club and taxi transfers (hmm)

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.