Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Site stuff

Right MNHQ, I'm looking at you.

464 replies

ShowOfHands · 02/02/2010 13:55

You know what I want. Enough with the delayed gratification.

I will not be moved. I have a banner.

Do it.

OP posts:
Umami · 04/02/2010 09:46

They're still considering it

Bella32 · 04/02/2010 09:48

Here's hoping

Radished · 04/02/2010 10:12

I've been swayed by Bella about a straight forward sex topic. seems odd not to have one when you put it like that - when there's a place to chat about your crafting but not your shafting. We're all adults, and although I personally dont' want to discuss my sex life, lots of people clearly want to ask questions or voice concerns about theirs, so why not have a place for it?

StayingDavidTennantsGirl · 04/02/2010 11:37

Even if you don't want to discuss your sex life, Radished, it might still be fun discussing other people's.

Radished · 04/02/2010 11:46

Are you calling me a prurient perv?

It's a fair cop

Hullygully · 04/02/2010 12:03

This has now become a fascinating psychological study into the dynamics of parenting in its own right.

All the naughty children jumping up and down and shouting about cocks (thank you Rhubarb) being resolutely ignored by the grown ups. "Just ignore them, they'll get tired of it in the end. It's just attention seeking."

But on an entirely dispassionate, disinterested note, why shouldn't there be a sex topic? It is an interesting omission as it is a predominantly female site. Why shouldn't women discuss sex if they want to? And as to weirdies in nutshells, MNers prove over and over that they are good at regulating themselves and others. If they're not worried, why are you?

Interestedly yours,

HG

ShowOfHands · 04/02/2010 12:09

I'm going to email MNHQ again. They're clearly ignoring us and I want them to come up with a better reason for turning us down than walnuts. I also want them to print off our posters and stick 'em up next time Davo's here for a webchat.

It does seem silly that we don't have a sex topic. Because sex isn't something funny or childish and most of us have had, are having or intend to have some kind of involvement with other people that involves taking the twinset off. Why can't we ask questions about it on here without fear of of offending those that don't want to see it or sitting next to somebody going through a relationship breakdown in another topic.

MNHQ YABU.

OP posts:
Bella32 · 04/02/2010 13:04

It's censorship. Plain and simple. We are not allowed to talk about sex It's a dirty word. Bit like the old attitude to sex education - and look where that got us.

No wonder we all ended up pregnant

dawntigga · 04/02/2010 17:04

SOH bet if we started discussin She Who Must Not Be Named's sex life they'd come running.

MightHaveHadSomeIdleSpeculationInThatDirectionTiggaxx

Bella32 · 04/02/2010 18:28

D'ya know, Tigga - amongst all the filth and smut on this thread, your post stands out as the naughtiest
Any answer from Justine yet, SOH, or is she still saying. 'Ask me when you're older'?

crumpette · 04/02/2010 18:48

I had to let you know, Justine has just announced on another thread that she is accepting bribes

Bella32 · 04/02/2010 18:51

Money for sex?

There's a name for that, isn't there....?

crumpette · 04/02/2010 18:57

here

requests bribes twice.. doesn't specify what kind of bribes

infer from that what you will, bella

Bella32 · 04/02/2010 19:01
Shock
dawntigga · 04/02/2010 19:34

Bella32 I find myself worrying proud of that.

Evil=GiftTiggaxx

dawntigga · 04/02/2010 19:38

Worryingly!

Can'tSpellCosI'mKnackeredTiggaxx

ShowOfHands · 04/02/2010 20:26

I've emailed them twice in the past week. No response.

I'm taking it personally now.

Rockets

Rockets

Rockets

So SWMNBN and Rockets in the same thread. Surely Justine's Big Red Button is throbbing.

Well if I get pg because I believe you can't when you do it standing up, it's MNHQ's fault.

OP posts:
Bella32 · 04/02/2010 20:43

Quite right, SOH.

Why should Justine have all the fun, up there at the towers with her big throbbing button.

Afaik you can get pg if you do it standing up, but only if you have an orgasm.

HTH

HelenMumsnet · 04/02/2010 21:06

Show of Hands, we're not ignoring you.

We just need to gather our thoughts a bit, so we can reply to you in the thoughtful and insightful way to which you've become accustomed.

Which, loosely translated, means I need to 'ave a bit of a chat with Justine...

whomovedmychocolate · 04/02/2010 21:18

Fuck me you lot are prolific in your inane witterings

May I make a suggestion:

(1) If you create a thread which is all about sex, the marketability of the site to 'family' advertisers (Centerparcs, Fairy, blah de blardy blah) will drop majorly. Similar sites which have introduced adult content have quickly dropped it for this very reason.
(2) Mumsnetters at work will - within about ten days - find the site blacklisted on their web filters because they will update the profile to show it as 'containing some sexual content' and your IT boys (and they are all boys, even the female ones ) will stop it lest you have fun.
(3) The media at large will camp en masse and fish in that topic. I can promise you that.
(4) A better way of handling such things is by convention of posting - i.e put something in your subject line ARSESEX is probably explicit enough (or perhaps we could have a codeword which was less offensive..... perhaps hamster is the right word?) which can be used to signal that this is a thread that perhaps our more delicate flowers can recognise as a sign to retune to the knitting topic?

ShowOfHands · 04/02/2010 21:47

WMMC, good points, but I have to say that I'm coming at this from a different angle I think. The adult content is not being introduced by MNHQ by having the topic, it's there anyway. It's in active convos weekly. My old work filters screamed at MN anyway because of the language on it and as it stands you have no option to avoid it because it's right there in 'chat' and 'relationships'.

I don't know about advertisers. Do they not research the site beforehand? A high proportion of women trying to get pg, the sex is baked right in. It's always there, always has been. And I don't think Bounty or Netmums- to name two parenting forums with such topics- suffer from a lack of family advertising. They advertise with them and us because of appropriate audience and sheer numbers, surely?

And the media is the same. They're here anyway. Journalists are MNers and
MNers are journalists and journalists are lurking at all times. The threads in a Friday Night topic are threads that would be on MN anyway, just ringfenced. The media is always quoting MN. Interestingly, they don't quote NM half as much, if at all really and they have a dedicated topic and have had online sex clinics.

And yes people can put things in thread titles, but my main concerns still stand. To avoid the threads about sex, you have to individually hide threads or hide relationships. And relationships, which is home to people fighting domestic violence, divorce etc, isn't the place for threads screaming about lube and anal play.

Thanks Helen. It's the same as with DH. I just need somebody to nod and say 'yes dear' occasionally.

OP posts:
dawntigga · 04/02/2010 21:53

SOH

Why can't you say rockets?

WorryinglyNaive?Tiggaxx

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

ShowOfHands · 04/02/2010 22:05

For you Tigga

OP posts:
Bella32 · 04/02/2010 22:06

Clamps hand over Tigga's mouth before MN implodes.

Thanks for pointing that out, WMMC. Interesting to know that all Netmums users are now blocked from accessing that site's Sex topic from their offices.

And it's clear now why Netmums have no major sponsors. Not one. Not a bean.

JustineMumsnet · 04/02/2010 22:27

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.