Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Relationships

Shaving

128 replies

forwhatitsworth22 · 25/01/2023 19:55

My hubby has asked if I would consider shaving, all off, smooth. I keep myself trimmed and tidy. I have a question which may be silly but how do I shave and see what I'm doing? Do I use a normal razor and shaving gel? I know these sound like silly questions but I don't wanna give myself a nasty cut etc.

OP posts:
Please
or

minidancer · 25/01/2023 20:03

I'd get waxed

Please
or

greenspaces4peace · 25/01/2023 20:03

go to a professional and get the area waxed.
once it's waxed, you can maybe, if you wish, keep up with some shaving.
some area's (around the anus) farther at the back of the vulva i presume are difficult to reach.
if he is that interested maybe he can assist you (although i would not recommend this as his technique might not be suitable for the area).

Please
or

forwhatitsworth22 · 25/01/2023 20:17

Waxed!!! Not sure I'm brave enough just yet!! Think I'll need to gear myself up to that one lol

OP posts:
Please
or

Ilovelurchers · 25/01/2023 20:17

You can just do it with a razor - up to you. Depends what you are most comfortable with.

Goes without saying, only do it if you are happy to and feel comfortable with it! I think there can be a lot of pressure on women to shave these days, almost like it is the expected norm. You might love it of course. Or get turned on by the idea of him loving it. But your body, your choice.

Please
or

IreneJones · 25/01/2023 20:17

Do you want it all off?

Please
or

forwhatitsworth22 · 25/01/2023 20:17

greenspaces4peace · 25/01/2023 20:03

go to a professional and get the area waxed.
once it's waxed, you can maybe, if you wish, keep up with some shaving.
some area's (around the anus) farther at the back of the vulva i presume are difficult to reach.
if he is that interested maybe he can assist you (although i would not recommend this as his technique might not be suitable for the area).

Like the idea of him helping, I'll suggest that to him

OP posts:
Please
or

forwhatitsworth22 · 25/01/2023 20:18

IreneJones · 25/01/2023 20:17

Do you want it all off?

Yeh, I'm happy to try it, if I don't like it it'll grow back

OP posts:
Please
or

SunsetStrip · 25/01/2023 20:20

I shave the whole thing, I do a good shave every few weeks and just run a razor over it every day in the shower. I much prefer it and I'm an old gimmer, lol

Please
or

forwhatitsworth22 · 25/01/2023 20:21

SunsetStrip · 25/01/2023 20:20

I shave the whole thing, I do a good shave every few weeks and just run a razor over it every day in the shower. I much prefer it and I'm an old gimmer, lol

Normal razor? Do you use it just for that area? Not for legs pits etc?

OP posts:
Please
or

GoAgainstNicki · 25/01/2023 20:24

If anything use Veet/Nair. I use that because I’m quite clumsy and would always cut myself, it was horrible. This way is so much easier as you just rub the cream over the area you want, leave it on for about 10mins, rinse it off in the shower and done.

They advertise and say not to use it for your pubic area but practically everyone I know does😂 waxing sounds amazing though. I’m so jealous of those that get a wax. I don’t think I’m confident or ready enough for that lol

Please
or

TheVikingGirl · 25/01/2023 20:24

Don’t use a razor!! The regrowth itch will drive you mad!! Definitely do
a wax, the wax will help the hair become finer and more sparse the more regular you do it and if you shave the hair will grow back thicker and much worse and you will seriously regret it. Waxing can be painful initially but if you go to a top rated professional it can be really quick and everyone reacts differently. I personally find my legs hurt more than the bikini area and I’ve been going regularly for years.
If you decide you are happy to keep it off, go for laser it’s cheaper in the long run! Good luck 😉

Please
or

forwhatitsworth22 · 25/01/2023 20:26

GoAgainstNicki · 25/01/2023 20:24

If anything use Veet/Nair. I use that because I’m quite clumsy and would always cut myself, it was horrible. This way is so much easier as you just rub the cream over the area you want, leave it on for about 10mins, rinse it off in the shower and done.

They advertise and say not to use it for your pubic area but practically everyone I know does😂 waxing sounds amazing though. I’m so jealous of those that get a wax. I don’t think I’m confident or ready enough for that lol

Yeh I looked at cream and they all said not to use so I didn't think anymore about them

OP posts:
Please
or

forwhatitsworth22 · 25/01/2023 20:27

TheVikingGirl · 25/01/2023 20:24

Don’t use a razor!! The regrowth itch will drive you mad!! Definitely do
a wax, the wax will help the hair become finer and more sparse the more regular you do it and if you shave the hair will grow back thicker and much worse and you will seriously regret it. Waxing can be painful initially but if you go to a top rated professional it can be really quick and everyone reacts differently. I personally find my legs hurt more than the bikini area and I’ve been going regularly for years.
If you decide you are happy to keep it off, go for laser it’s cheaper in the long run! Good luck 😉

If I liked it I think I would look at laser, i need to see how I feel with it off before I brace the wax

OP posts:
Please
or

sunseaandme · 25/01/2023 20:27

I use hair removal cream and finish off any missing bits with a razor. Very important to use dove soap only , not any other brand of soap

Please
or

SantaBakula · 25/01/2023 20:35

I use hair removal cream, after trimming as short as possible with small sharp scissors very ccarefully 1st
I usecream designed for the face / extra sensitive but even then take care and sef do a patch test 1st .

I do shave occasionally but as pp said by bugger its itch for days after !

Please
or

SantaBakula · 25/01/2023 20:36

Sef = def

Please
or

Raveon2000 · 25/01/2023 20:57

My clit goes on fire with veet, I can't be the only one?
I usually do razor but a new blade and the ones with the gel pad bit are good. Venus I think

Please
or

Warspite · 25/01/2023 21:05

Oh the stubble after a few days!
Once you start you’ll have to keep it up or face the unromantic if all that stubble and itch. Noooooooo! 🥴

Please
or

AramintaLee · 25/01/2023 21:11

I can only shave down there with those cheap Bic razors (the pink multipack one with the pastel colour handles) For some reason they are the only razors that give a smooth finish.

I've tried cream but it never seems to work for me. I did IPL for a while and that really made the hair sparse but isn't suitable for everyone (only really works if you have dark hair and pale skin) but it got so expensive so wasn't sustainable.

I've tried waxing a few times but my skin is so sensitive so it was like torture.

So yeah, I recommend shaving gel (you can get ones specifically for that area - Gilette Venus do one you can get at Boots) and Bic razors.

Please
or

Exdpisatwat · 25/01/2023 21:14

Epilator 💪

Please
or

defi · 25/01/2023 21:15

To shave I exfoliate first. Don't want ingrown hairs. Instead of shaving cream I get better results with conditioner. I use the men's 3 blade lacura razors from Aldi. Shave towards the hair direction, rinse off suds ext. then repeat with conditioner against the hair direction.

Please
or

FrenchOrEnglish · 25/01/2023 21:15

I shave it all. Just sort of sit legs akimbo in the bath.

Re growth itch isn't too bad as I exfoliate and keep on top of the shaving.

Have waxed etc in the past but shaving doesn't take long and is almost free.

Please
or

Ohnobloodysnow · 25/01/2023 21:19

Raveon2000 · 25/01/2023 20:57

My clit goes on fire with veet, I can't be the only one?
I usually do razor but a new blade and the ones with the gel pad bit are good. Venus I think

Do you have hair on your clit?

Please
or

user147283190 · 25/01/2023 21:21

I use normal hair conditioner and only shave in the direction if growth. It means it's never as fully smooth as shaving against but otherwise I just get ingrown hairs. Also only shave once a week or it causes irritation.
It's one of those things you just have to try and learn what works for you as you go.

Please
or

Thisisworsethananticpated · 25/01/2023 21:21

Venus razor
that little pink one and shaving gel

Please
or