Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Politics

OMG!

210 replies

CardyMow · 22/06/2010 13:13

Could they POSSIBLY hit low single income families worse? Freezing child benefit for 3 years, abolishing the Health in pregnancy grant from April 2011, Getting rid of the baby element on CTC (how that helps us when I'm 3 months pg and DP only earns £16,000 is beyond me...), Lowering the thresholds for Housing benefit (we won't be able to pay our rent without the money we get on housing benefit), saying that people in social housing may no longer have a reasonable housing benefit allowance or entitlemnet for a suitably sized property. I note that they are CUTTING tax rates for businesses. Nice to know that they are hitting the poorest of us that chose to work. We are now in the situation where we are really going to have to consider whether we can AFFORD for my DP to have the luxury of having a job when we will be so much worse off than we would be on benefits, I think we may end up homeless otherwise. It might make DP feel like more of a human being to go out to work and slog his guts out for £16,000 pa, but if we can't feed our kids and pay our rent....

OP posts:
CardyMow · 23/06/2010 14:03

I have to say though, despite it hurting me personally, I DO agree with the freeze in child benefit. For a family with 3 children, it went up by a total of £1.80 a week this year...which will be almost unnoticeable to each individual family if it doesn't go up next year, realisticially £1.80 doesn't buy much. But if you add up those savings from every family in Britain, it seems logical to me.

It's not so much my DD being in a box room that's the problem, as if bump is a girl, having to fit 2 beds in there (which is an impossibility, you can't fit ONE full size bed in there, never mind 2). My 12yo DD is still in a junior bed that she should have come out of at 6yo...she can't lie flat on it...but that's fine, because 12yo's shouldn't be over 5ft...We were moved in here 5.5yrs ago when my last house was condemned and knocked down. At least it isn't damp like my old place, that DID cause my DS2's respiritory problems that he will be left with for life.

Yeah, I don't remember a tory government...it's a bit hard to concentrate on lofty things like politics when you don't know where you are going to be living from one week to the next because you're in foster care or living with an alchoholic! Through most of my childhood I was more focussed on surviving than on world events. I'm glad you had a cosy enough childhood to learn about stuff like that. I was too busy learning to open a tin of beans at 2.5yo. You should think yourself lucky you had a nurturing home life, and you would be wise to remember that not everyone has that privelige.

OP posts:
expatinscotland · 23/06/2010 14:14

LL, quit trying to blame being silly enough to vote Tory when you are poor on anything but buying their complete con job.

You're 28 and you sound very articulate and write like someone who is intelligent and educated.

You fell for their con and lies.

It happened to plenty of folks, look at LibDem voters.

SanctiMoanyArse · 23/06/2010 14:24

LL not everyone had a nurturing home life, I remember Thatcher (heck I was 24 when the tories went) and also remember being whacked around the head by a vacuum cleaner. Sadly.

Your childhood sounds awful but not as bad doesn't mean great, undfortunately.

SanctiMoanyArse · 23/06/2010 14:25

And oh goodness yes look at the LD voters

or worse, memebrs like me

nannyj · 23/06/2010 14:35

I got the impression that overall the government is trying to stop people having more children than they can reasonably afford. What do other people think? I kind of agree with it, I would love another baby but have the chance to go back to work and get off benefits so am going to take it. Maybe I'll be lucky enough to be able to have a second in a few years.

SanctiMoanyArse · 23/06/2010 14:38

Well yes nanny I think thats the aim but we'd be better off if we were to prroduce anotherr!

Which we won't, but silly anyway.

expatinscotland · 23/06/2010 14:48

I got the impression they don't give a shit about low-earners or lower-middle earners and the poor who are non-working, nanny.

I mean, a VAT and NI hike hits everyone, and everyone who is working (for the NI bit), but it hits those worst off the most.

Even poor pensioners have to buy stuff and most of them can't work.

No one ever pillories them, though a good many of them are widows who stayed at home and didn't work outside the home (I realise it wasn't possible for many women to work back in the day).

Acanthus · 23/06/2010 14:49

"No one told you" the pill could be affected by a stomach upset? It's in the leaflet in every packet.

vesela · 23/06/2010 14:56

expat, the NI hike is only for people on 40% tax and up, not basic-rate taxpayers.

vesela · 23/06/2010 14:59

no, forget that

Lymond · 23/06/2010 15:15

LOUDLASS I'm really sorry at the direction parts of this thread have gone in. Your contraception is nothing to do with anyone else; the welfare state is there to support people with disabilities or children that they couldn't otherwise feed, clothe and house.

I think it is shocking that although your medical condition has meant that you needed a sterilisation, but that your PCT has refused to pay for one. It is going to cost the country a lot more in the long run, so very short sighted of them. However, you'll have a lovely new baby in 6 months - congratulations!

BalloonSlayer · 23/06/2010 15:44

I feel sorry for you Loudlass, as it sounds like you have it hard. I hope your luck changes soon.

Also sorry that you got what you voted for.

vesela · 23/06/2010 16:18

Just out of interest, what do you think would have happened if she'd voted Labour? When Labour got round to making the cuts/tax increases, what would they have been?

vesela · 23/06/2010 16:23

and not "well, they wouldn't have hit...". What would they have done?

SanctiMoanyArse · 23/06/2010 16:46

According to Darling today big jike in ntax for over 100k and a continuation of NI policy

now having a as to what I think of NI but I think what tehy were planning is fairly out tehre isn't it?

cashmygold · 23/06/2010 16:58

If the only safe form of contraceptive is no sex and another baby means nowhere for it to sleep, what will you do?

FOREPLAY

foreverastudent · 23/06/2010 17:01

londonone- my mum didnt choose to have me. Despite being a midwife she didnt realise she was pregnant until she was 24 weeks and so was too late for an abortion.

vesela · 23/06/2010 17:02

well, Darling and Byrne both said they would make cuts that were tougher than Thatcher's...

re. Darling on the 100k - would that be the threshold for 50% tax? (I can't find the story). That was the threshold it was set at when it was Lib Dem policy, and they got rid of it because it wouldn't bring enough in.

5inthebackofthenet · 23/06/2010 17:16

Acanthus, LL was 16 when that happened! At 16 did you read the leaflets that came with any medication?

LL, you're gettin quite a thrashing on this thread, you don't deserve this. The council housing situation sucks, there are a lot of people living in accomodation that doesn't meet their needs, I'm one of them. There are also people living in accomodation that is far too big for them (my MIL for example, but we'll not go there ). IIRC it was Margaret T who decided to let council tenants buy their houses, and this has led to a lack of social housing.

I'm 29, and can't remember any election until Tony Blair was made PM.

sarah293 · 23/06/2010 17:25

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn

londonone · 23/06/2010 17:43

Listen to yourselves. Which part of we spent far more than we had, don't you understand? If someone earns 10 pounds a week and spends twenty pounds a week it is unsustainable. That is what the labour government did and finally someone is doing something about it. Why should people give the government a vast proportion of their money so that everyone can have all they fancy? Normal middle income families with a good standard of living are being given money by the state. It is ludicrous. Stop giving cash to those who don't need it and there will be more to go round for those who genuinely do like carers and those unable to work.

5inthebackofthenet · 23/06/2010 17:48

"Normal middle income families with a good standard of living are being given money by the state. It is ludicrous. Stop giving cash to those who don't need it and there will be more to go round for those who genuinely do like carers and those unable to work."

I believe LL is one of those who genuinely need it.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

expatinscotland · 23/06/2010 17:56

What Riven said.

And, as I said, this is the first time I voted because I only naturalised a few years ago.

This was my first time voting in a general election. Even then, it wasn't hard to figure out what the Tories stood for.

I came to that decision all on my own. No one led me in one way or another and all my family are Conservatives.

sarah293 · 23/06/2010 17:58

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn

londonone · 23/06/2010 17:59

I believe LL is due money too. However I also believe she has a responsibility to ensure that she doesn't continue to have children she cannot afford.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.