Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Politics

OMG!

210 replies

CardyMow · 22/06/2010 13:13

Could they POSSIBLY hit low single income families worse? Freezing child benefit for 3 years, abolishing the Health in pregnancy grant from April 2011, Getting rid of the baby element on CTC (how that helps us when I'm 3 months pg and DP only earns £16,000 is beyond me...), Lowering the thresholds for Housing benefit (we won't be able to pay our rent without the money we get on housing benefit), saying that people in social housing may no longer have a reasonable housing benefit allowance or entitlemnet for a suitably sized property. I note that they are CUTTING tax rates for businesses. Nice to know that they are hitting the poorest of us that chose to work. We are now in the situation where we are really going to have to consider whether we can AFFORD for my DP to have the luxury of having a job when we will be so much worse off than we would be on benefits, I think we may end up homeless otherwise. It might make DP feel like more of a human being to go out to work and slog his guts out for £16,000 pa, but if we can't feed our kids and pay our rent....

OP posts:
LynetteScavo · 22/06/2010 20:26

Loudlass...you voted Tory?

Well, what did you expect?

You just lost all sympathy from me re; what you expect form the government.

I do think there have been some shocking comments on here about your pregnancies, though.

Shame on those posters.

londonone · 22/06/2010 20:27

Yes you're right her DP is working therefore she is beyond critcism. Get a grip.

Adair · 22/06/2010 20:27

Ooh, missed that. You voted Tory?!!!

EricNorthmansmistress · 22/06/2010 20:28

You voted tory? well suck it up then. Sorry, more fool you.

londonone · 22/06/2010 20:29

To all of those people who think that I shouldn't comment on ll's pregnancies, I ask you again. How would you fund everyone in the country having an unlimited number of children because if you wouldn't fund that then you are just the same but not willing to say it.

nickschick · 22/06/2010 20:30

Ive never done this before on mumsnet

Londonone you are a nob-have a

londonone · 22/06/2010 20:33

Doesn't really answer the question though does it nickschick? Where are you getting the money to fill your pot of gold?

ilovemydogandMrObama · 22/06/2010 20:34

londonone Even the most right wing Tory still believes in help for those who are vulnerable. The OP has SNs. She cannot work due to severe epilepsy. Her DP/H, is working, but on a very low wage. What's the problem with helping people who need it?

nickschick · 22/06/2010 20:35

pot of gold???

londonone · 22/06/2010 20:37

Of course the OP should get help, I have already said she should receive help as she is unable to work. Now surely she should also take some responsibility and not have children she and her partner cannot afford. Why should it all be one way.

expatinscotland · 22/06/2010 20:38

You voted Tory?!

Sorry, but after reading that, I have to agree with tartyhighheels.

As far as bitching about your housing situation, you're lucky to have a secure tenancy at all, seriously.

I know people with 5 children in two bed council houses. They just get on with it.

And there's an appeals process for the sterilisation thing.

It's all water on the bridge now.

They're in power, they made the budget. We're very working poor, too, so I'm not surprised by all their cuts.

That's why I didn't vote for them!

But regardless, time to see what we can do to live with it all.

And you can't just jack in work and go on benefits.

You have to be made redundant or get sacked (not willfully, either).

londonone · 22/06/2010 20:39

yes nickschick the pot of gold required to pay for everyone to receive support for having as many children as they fancy ragerdless of whether or not they can support them.

TheJollyPirate · 22/06/2010 20:42

...not everyone in the country IS having an unlimited number of children londonone - I work with families year round and don't see many with four or more. Shock horror - some of those who DO have four or more have working parents. And even worse they get some tax credits.

Get a grip yerself and look around you. If the only people who had children were those who could afford to (ie the well off) this country would grind to a halt in the next 25 years.

I cannot afford my ONE child at present - he has SN and I only work part-time so I can support him. Does this mean I should not have had him? The taxpayer (ie YOU - ooh and me as well as I pay tax) gives me a little over £600 a month in tax credits, CB and DLA. It still does not equal what I would earn if I worked full time which I cannot.

If nothing else I can see and understand that one size does not fit all. Surely ANYONE can understand that children happen, life changes and sometimes people need support. LL needs the support - she's taking nothing she is not entitled to and her children are being raised with a working parent who demonstrates that you work to earn money. It's not going to be forever either.
Personally I save my wrath and annoyance for people like my neighbour who has four kids she cannot cope with and police presenting themselves at the door every five mins to take away this that or the other partner, stolen property and drugs. Now THAT is a problem to society and the taxpayer NOT loudlass and her family.

MumInBeds · 22/06/2010 20:44

londonone if we go from the point of view that to sustain ourselves we need to have children, and that the birth rate is falling and it presently below replacement level wouldn't you think that helping to support one parent/couple bringing up four children would be cost effective for the state than helping support four parents/couples in bringing up one child each?

If that one family with four children has at least one working parent then that must be a good thing, right?

TheJollyPirate · 22/06/2010 20:47

... and my neighbour is tuning up as we speak. The dogs are out and barking, she is holloering for them over the balcony in her delicate tones in between shrieking at the three year old who is sobbing (as usual). Did I mention she is expecting another?

Oh...and let's not forget the music! [cross]

Yes - social services are heavily involved.

I WANT LL TO MOVE IN NEXT DOOR. Honest ll - it's three good sized bedrooms, no garden but we are opposite a park. Oh and the SN support here is fab.

londonone · 22/06/2010 20:49

muminbeds - we are overcrowded as it is the population cannot simply keep expanding. I have no concerns that the world is suddenly going to run out of people!

kveta · 22/06/2010 20:52

londonone - my sister is epileptic, has had a number of unplanned pregnancies, all despite being on pill and using condoms, two carried on despite morning after pills being taken (condom failure in those cases!) (although sadly none have 'stuck' yet), and had an abortion after one of them seemed likely to stick. She now has counselling to get over the abortion, which truly fucked her up. So the country is still paying for her pregnancy, even though she is still childless. She's working at the moment, but has had periods of unemployment in the past due to her condition. It's a horrible horrible disease/disability. Invisible to the naked eye too, which makes it worse. Don't judge loudlass until you've stood in her shoes for a while.

londonone · 22/06/2010 20:58

no jollypirate everyone isn't having unlimited numbers of kids, because most people take responsibility. Unfortunately there is a growing set of people who don't take responsibility and feel they are entitled to have the state pick up the tab for their life. I do not however agree with your statement that "children happen" they don't.

LynetteScavo · 22/06/2010 21:18

Lol at "children happen"

Oh yes they do! I have a very unplanned child who has only just fallen asleep.

kerstina · 22/06/2010 21:50

I am sorry but this is your fault and all the others who voted Tory. Why did you vote for them ?
Working class people are their own worst enemy sometimes or did you read the sun newspaper.
Sorry am not in a very good mood can you tell !

wastingaway · 22/06/2010 21:50

Blimey. LL, yabu to vote Tory.

It sounds like you won't be much worse off, when everything's balanced out.

Entirely understandable to need a mope every now and then about the shitty hand you've been dealt.

but, you'll be fine, really.

Londonone, LL was using hormonal contraceptives and condoms. Are you seriously saying she should have had an abortion?

Poshwellies · 22/06/2010 22:02

Wasn't having a go LL,just saying dh managed to get the snip after one child and at a fairly youngish age.

It might be worth considering an appeal as expat says.At least you wouldn't be worrying about contraception failure (I've also had a one of those,shes 15 now ).

Lots of us struggling so many of us can understand.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

CardyMow · 22/06/2010 22:17

YES I voted Tory...I am too young to remember a Tory government, Labour were originally voted in when I was only 15 years old, how many people take an interest in politics at that age?? And it's more the changes to HB that will cripple us. I believed the tory bollox untruths that they would support the working poor. Now I thought that they couldn't possibly do a worse job than labour...how wrong was I?? Great choice to make, tory who will take away the very things that enable my DP to work and feel like a productive member of society, or labour making us permanently indebted to the state and treating everyone as if they are criminally stupid and need every part of our lives overseen. . And don't get me started on noisy neighbours in social housing, my housing association has pointedly told me that as I'm the only person in the street who thinks it is unreasonable to play very loud music until 3am on a school night, that I must be being unreasonable....

OP posts:
kerstina · 22/06/2010 22:23

ok i forgive you! I had a feeling a lot of people who voted Tory were to young to remember them being in power .I on the other hand am middle aged and remember the hell of the 80 s very well.

CardyMow · 22/06/2010 22:41

The tory's said that front line services would be protected...is a hospital cleaner not a frontline service? Surely without hospital cleaners (like my DP) the rate of hospital acquired infections would go up, thus costing the NHS (therefore the government) more money, not less...??!!

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.