Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Infertility

IVF cycle buddies June/July

441 replies

Hobbes39 · 30/05/2017 12:09

Hi! I'm hoping that this is 3rd time lucky for us... due to start process for my first Frozen transfer in June, with the actual transfer being in July... anyone want to join me on the journey? We have 2 unsuccessful fresh cycles behind us, and I have this one single little embryo from the last cycle sitting in the freezer waiting for me. It's a 3BB and all my hopes are pinned on it being the one!
We have unexplained secondary infertility, have a DS who will be 4 in August, and I've just turned 40, so time isn't on our side... so I'm now waiting for my period to start (due in about 10-14 days, although my cycles are mucked up since our ivf failed in April)... but once it comes i will be down regged to them do transfer early July I think! Fingers crossed we get lucky this time...!

OP posts:

GirlcalledJames · 20/06/2017 06:54

The clinic told me to give the injections at some point between 6pm and 10pm and to stick roughly to the same time but an hour each way is fine. I've been doing 9 or 9:30. The trigger shot will also be in this window (obviously more precise) but I don't know if that's connected.
The morning sounds much more practical as if you want to go out in the evening, it's hard to get home that early, and as my medication involves mixing five tiny bottles using two needles, I wouldn't want to do it away from home.

Goodluckjonathan76 · 20/06/2017 12:54

Can I ask if anyone is having side effects from injections? Getting a bit worried about it all not helped by DH and I having an awful row last night. Not even sure we will go ahead now TBH. Need to feel really secure and supported to even think about doing this.

Hopes2bmom · 20/06/2017 13:15

Hello good luck,

I really don't seem to have any side effects other than feeling kinda bloated and I feel my abdominal area is heavy. And after having the injections for the next 15 mins I feel a sharp pain that's kinda awful, then it subsides. And I have put on some weight Hmm

Kannet · 20/06/2017 13:17

Good luck everyone. I'm due to have a 5 day blastocyst transferred on Monday. It's an adopted embryo. Very nervous and excited.

Hobbes39 · 20/06/2017 13:34

Hi GoodLuck - sorry to hear you've had a row with your DH - it's a stressful time, so tensions can run high. Hope you are ok?
In terms of side effects of the injections it's pretty normal to feel a bit shit tbh when down-regging - not awful, but just a bit 'meh' if you know what I mean - and for some people it's worse - it is after all putting you into temporary menopause. I didn't find it too bad, just had some blinding headaches and bloating. For the stims, I felt much perkier emotionally, but v bloated.. and a bit tender in the ovary area. Some people feel things more than others though...I think I was relatively lucky. What stage are you at again? (Apologies I've lost track!) x

OP posts:

79Karen · 20/06/2017 14:23

Hi goodluck im currently down regging and I'm definitely more irritable than usual. Ive found things, that I can usually ignore, really annoying and I've been snappy. I just tell myself that it's not really me and it'll pass. But the process itself is stressful

Hopes2bmom · 20/06/2017 14:53

Im so worried, today I have forgotten to take my buserlin nasal spray to work. I have one sniff in the morning. I need to take four times a day. Seems I will miss 2 doses today πŸ˜’ I can take only in the evening when I reach home. Not sure how it is gonna affect, I'm so worried

Pyjamas81 · 20/06/2017 15:29

All done at the clinic - so much information overload! Scans booked in for Saturday, Monday and Wednesday and I've got the first batch of my meds.

On the refrigerating meds issue - they said that I definitely can't put them in the fridge once the "cold seal" is broken. So because they took my meds out of their fridge before handing over to me, that's breaking the "cold seal" which means they can't be put back in. Which means I'm in a sticky situation - the thermostat in my house says it's currently 29 degrees in here and they need to be kept below 25,
and I don't have a fan Confused

Found today pretty stressful!

Nigeltufnellover · 20/06/2017 17:13

Hello can I join please? Starting first cycle today. Been down regging on buserelin (which has definitely left me feeling meh, and not firing on all cylinders, but fine apart from that) had baseline scan this morning, lots of follicles so hospital called this afternoon to tell me to take a lower dose of gonal f (am at risk of hyperstimulation). Feeling very nervous, hope I don't go too mad on the hormones. Agree with everyone that it seems to take an age to get anywhere (TTC 3+ years) and then all of a sudden, bam! It's all go. Good luck to everyone x

Fox23 · 20/06/2017 17:48

Just got back from doctors. I've been put onto short protocol. So i will start it on my next cycle. It's such a relief when doctor during the scan said that i have a lot follicles. In a mean time I've been put on a levothyroxine and a pill. Ironic that, right? Trying to get pregnant I have to go one pill Grin
All being well, my egg collection should be 1st week august.
Dreading the needles! Your comments seemed to calm me down abit.

GirlcalledJames · 21/06/2017 08:41

I'm on day 5 and just had the first ultrasound.
I had a congested feeling in the abdomen plus some stabbing pains since day 2 so I've been worried about OHSS, but the Dr said it can be ruled out for this cycle.
I have 7 follicles at 12 mm each. They kept the medications the same. Next scan on day 8.

GirlcalledJames · 21/06/2017 08:45

Fox, I was also dreading the needles but the ones I have are so thin you can't feel them, really zero pain.
Just a bit nervous about keeping a steady hand but it works fine.

Hopes2bmom · 21/06/2017 09:08

Hello girlcalledJames,

Which protocol are you on, ? I had my scan today after 5 days of stims too, seems we are in the same timeline. I had more than 20 follicles growing with the biggest of size 12 mm and smallest of 6 mm, they said all good and continue on same medication. I have my next scan on Friday

GirlcalledJames · 21/06/2017 09:38

They take a different approach in the country I live in, but it's closer to the short protocol than the long.
Good luck on Friday!

Nigeltufnellover · 21/06/2017 10:30

Fox I was really worried about the needles too as not good with jabs, but honestly they've been fine, and I'm a massive wimp! If I can do it anyone can.
Is anyone else on gonal f, took first dose last night and had a headache pretty much since

Goodluckjonathan76 · 21/06/2017 18:20

I was also worried about the needles but was actually fine with them when we did IUI with injectables although admittedly we were only doing one injection every other day. As GirlcalledJames says, the needles are very thin so you don't really feel it. I am more worried about the blood tests as am verging on phobic. Are the tests every other day or every day. Urggh!

Also, was anyone given the option to pick which protocol they went on and to success rates differ between the two? My consultant wanted to do the long protocol but agreed I could do short as I really didn't like the idea of shutting down the system. Just wondering if long protocol increases success rates.

Pyjamas81 · 21/06/2017 18:31

Nigel - I'm on gonal f and did first injection last night. No side effects yet, other than a few stabby pains around the injection area for a bit.

Nigeltufnellover · 21/06/2017 18:37

Pyjamas we're at the same stage!
I've been properly laid out with a migraine type headache today, maybe it's nothing to do with the gonal f, would be a bit quick to come on... hope it's nothing to do with the drugs, because paracetamol isn't touching it, and don't want it to be a regular occurrence!
Goodluck, I wasn't given a choice on protocol, but on the NHS so might be different if you're paying?

Pyjamas81 · 21/06/2017 18:46

Great to have someone at same stage Nigel! Have you been drinking plenty of water? This heat may be dehydrating you! When is your first scan? Mine is on Saturday morning.

I'm on short protocol as well goodluck - going private but they put me straight on that due to age and low AMH.

I was pleasantly surprised about last night's injection as well - I made a big fuss, took ages to get up the nerve to do it, DH had to calm me down, then I barely felt it πŸ˜‚

Nigeltufnellover · 21/06/2017 19:01

Pyjamas my first scan is on Monday eek
Yeah been drinking loads, probably just one of those things. It is bloody hot tho

Fox23 · 21/06/2017 20:01

Nigel, pyjamas, James, Goodluck- thank you for putting my mind at rest, now needles shouldn't be one thing I'm stressing about.
looks like I'm about a month behind everybody. I'm taking thyroid hormone now, and in 2 weeks, starting birth control pill. Then my scan is on 25th July.
Pyjamas- good luck on your scan on Saturday
Hopes- and good luck on your Friday scan!
Keeping fingers crossed!

Pyjamas81 · 21/06/2017 20:12

Ah I've got another scan on monday morning Nigel, then another one on Weds morning - intense!

Glad we put you mind at ease fox πŸ‘πŸΌ

Goodluckjonathan76 · 22/06/2017 10:07

Pyjamas, how old are you? 36 going by your name? Do you mind me askign what your AMH is? Do they recommend short protocol if you have low AMH or are older? Also, does anyone know if short protocol still means it's a natural cycle as such, as so you don't need buckeloads of progesterone?

Just found out another friend who is my age (nearly 41) had her third baby - clearly some find it very easy. Just not us!

Hopes2bmom · 22/06/2017 10:13

Hello good luck,

Short protocol is not like a natural cycle, it is similar to long protocol with all medications except that you will not be down regulating. In LP, we do DG to shut down the ovaries and keep it calm for first few weeks and then start the stims, this way they will be able to control the growth of follicles. SP doesn't involve all this, you directly start your stims, you still have all the progesterone after the ec , this is from my experience hope it helps

Pyjamas81 · 22/06/2017 10:19

Hi goodluck - yep, I'm 36 and my AMH is 5.8, so low for my age. Basically everything hopes said about short protocol! I think people with low AMH are generally put on SP to avoid shutting down ovaries - I may be wrong though!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?