Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

NHS Coronavirus information. Information from gov.uk. Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have health concerns, please seek medical attention.

Related: Lockdown Learning, discuss home schooling during lockdown.

Self Isolation going to be scrapped

Overthebow · 17/01/2022 05:15

www.reuters.com/world/uk/uks-self-isolation-law-set-be-scrapped-telegraph-2022-01-16/

So that’s it then, the pandemic really is going to end in the UK in a couple of months time. I’ve never been so happy to read a news article!

OP's posts:
Please
or

ClaudineClare · 17/01/2022 05:33

Maybe I am being cynical, but it smacks of a diversion tactic to me to leak these plans right now. Promise the plebs jam tomorrow and they will forget about Partygate. Also, this may be an attempt to shore up support amongst the likes of the CRG.

Does the government genuinely think the pandemic will largely be over by Spring or is this part of Operation Save Big Dog? Surely Johnson would not play with the nation's health in order to save his own skin?

We shall see.

Please
or

kickupafuss · 17/01/2022 05:52

Of course Johnson would do anything to save his own skin. This is the man who said ‘Let the bodies pile high’!

Please
or

ClaudineClare · 17/01/2022 05:57

I agree, my question was meant to be sarcasm. Johnson is a ruthless man who uses the bumbling Boris persona to fool people into thinking he is something he is not.

Please
or

GrendelsGrandma · 17/01/2022 05:59

I can't believe that rancid burp of a man would put more lives at risk to save his own skin.

Everyone wants the pandemic to be over. Declaring it over won't make it over. You need to be sure hospitals won't be overloaded and vulnerable people are protected.

Please
or

Pixxie7 · 17/01/2022 06:15

Self isolation may be finishing but the pandemic isn’t, there are still lots of countries who haven’t hardly started vaccinating people and until they do the pandemic will continue. The PM is desperate at the moment so will do and say anything to put them in a good light.

Please
or

Grida · 17/01/2022 06:18

This has been mentioned a while back and certainly the government still seems to be heading in that direction. They are shaving off the isolation time and I expect they will stop giving out free tests soon. I think they have also proved that they aren’t very frightened of covid and that they don’t really believe in their own rules.

Please
or

Hortensia16 · 17/01/2022 06:24

We need to start rebuilding our lives. Many people have suffered emotional and financial hardship during the pandemic. Vaccines are working. It's time to start moving on as we come into Spring.

Please
or

Overthebow · 17/01/2022 06:30

I see it as a good thing. We have done what we can with vaccines and treatment is improving all the time. Isolation and testing has to end at some point, and the virus is becoming endemic, so spring is a good a time as any.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Iggly · 17/01/2022 06:32

@Overthebow

www.reuters.com/world/uk/uks-self-isolation-law-set-be-scrapped-telegraph-2022-01-16/

So that’s it then, the pandemic really is going to end in the UK in a couple of months time. I’ve never been so happy to read a news article!

So you think the definition of a pandemic is public health measures? Explain your logic?

I haven’t even had my booster and I’m not the only one. Kids haven’t been back to school a fortnight. Boosters will start to wear off and more will get ill again as we don’t have a vaccine for omicron.

I’m worried that this government doesn’t have a proper exit plan. They’re only caring about votes. We are turning into Brazil.
Please
or

Iggly · 17/01/2022 06:32

@Overthebow

I see it as a good thing. We have done what we can with vaccines and treatment is improving all the time. Isolation and testing has to end at some point, and the virus is becoming endemic, so spring is a good a time as any.

Which scientists have said it’s endemic now?

Why not wait until it’s actually endemic first ffs.
Please
or

Iggly · 17/01/2022 06:34

Does the government genuinely think the pandemic will largely be over by Spring or is this part of Operation Save Big Dog? Surely Johnson would not play with the nation's health in order to save his own skin.

He would. He wanted to let the bodies pile high originally.

Please
or

user1487194234 · 17/01/2022 06:35

I support ending isolation asap

Please
or

Reallybadidea · 17/01/2022 06:37

If you read the article, advice to self-isolate will remain, it just won't be legally enforceable. So not actually scrapped at all.

Please
or

ClaudineClare · 17/01/2022 06:38

Is this plan being widely reported? I can't seem to find anything other than the OP's link and I don't subscribe to the Torygraph.

Please
or

Overthebow · 17/01/2022 06:41

@Reallybadidea

If you read the article, advice to self-isolate will remain, it just won't be legally enforceable. So not actually scrapped at all.

As soon as it’s not legally enforceable, it’s scrapped. Not many will comply with ‘guidance’ when it affects their livelihoods, education and home life.
OP's posts:
Please
or

Overthebow · 17/01/2022 06:42

@ClaudineClare

Is this plan being widely reported? I can't seem to find anything other than the OP's link and I don't subscribe to the Torygraph.

Not yet but these articles were only out late yesterday. There will likely be more in the next few days.
OP's posts:
Please
or

Rainbowbrite2022 · 17/01/2022 06:42

We are still very much in a pandemic. Just because the government and people have decided it’s over, doesn’t mean it is. Omicron may be milder for some but not all. Treatments are better and icu is not impacted as hugely this time. However it’s now many normal wards which are much less staffed than an ICU even more so with covid sickness. ( and yes sickness not isolation due to contact) But It’s still covid and it’s still causing serious illness in some and many people are still dying because of it.

Yes we need to learn to live with it as it’s not going away but pretending it doesn’t exist or it is like a cold etc doesn’t stop it causing massive issues and herd immunity doesn’t exist because as with omicron when it changes so much that disappears.

Please
or

Angel2702 · 17/01/2022 06:43

@ClaudineClare

Maybe I am being cynical, but it smacks of a diversion tactic to me to leak these plans right now. Promise the plebs jam tomorrow and they will forget about Partygate. Also, this may be an attempt to shore up support amongst the likes of the CRG.

Does the government genuinely think the pandemic will largely be over by Spring or is this part of Operation Save Big Dog? Surely Johnson would not play with the nation's health in order to save his own skin?

We shall see.

These plans were made public last year before Omicron arrived. It was always the plan to scale back testing for asymptomatic cases and scrap isolation laws from April. It’s not new information.
Please
or

ClaudineClare · 17/01/2022 06:44

It is odd, a lot of overseas news platforms are reporting this, but very little on UK ones.

Please
or

UnmentionedElephantDildo · 17/01/2022 06:45

He's been open all,along that some of us will,die.

That remains the case.

I think it would be foolhardy to end SI - just as I think it would be wrong to end quarantine for certain other notifiable diseases.

Please
or

XantheBreeze · 17/01/2022 06:46

Thank God for that! About time.

Please
or

Lemons1571 · 17/01/2022 06:50

@Angel2702 I read ages ago about the uk government plans to end SI this April.

We really are played by the government via the press like a fiddle.

Please
or

Lottle · 17/01/2022 06:52

Won't this make the pandemic worse, at least short term?

Please
or

ClaudineClare · 17/01/2022 06:52

These plans were made public last year before Omicron arrived. It was always the plan to scale back testing for asymptomatic cases and scrap isolation laws from April. It’s not new information

Yes, but as you say that was before Omicron, which changed things. If it is old news, why is it being "leaked" again now via the Torygraph?

The timing is definitely no coincidence. This is not about :ending the pandemic", it is about saving Johnson's premiership.

Please
or

Iggly · 17/01/2022 06:53

@UnmentionedElephantDildo

He's been open all,along that some of us will,die.

That remains the case.

I think it would be foolhardy to end SI - just as I think it would be wrong to end quarantine for certain other notifiable diseases.

Yep.

What a shit show of a prime minister.
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.