Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Conflict in the Middle East

After this there will be silence

508 replies

notsoready4school · 11/11/2023 10:13

Are we really just going to just let this happen. I was upset about the protest ban in France but at least he has finally spoken up. When is the UK going to finally say something and stop letting this happen in our name.

This is the moment we have been warning the whole world the Gaza Deputy Health Minister Dr. Youssef Abu Alreesh, currently inside al-Shifa Hospital as it is takes heavy fire from Israeli forces.
Here are his translated comments:

• This is the moment we have been warning the whole world of, all generators are off, all power sources are out.
  • We have 39 newborns in the incubators, those babies are fighting against death.
  • No one is able to move around the compound, snipers are stationed all over the place in addition to the drones that target and kill any moving person.
  • A few minutes ago one of the engineering team was hit by a sniper, he was hit in the neck and was paralysed and he’s now about to die.
  • Part of the hospital was shelled and part of the building caught fire, we fear it will engulf the whole compound.
  • A few families tried to leave but they were targeted; now they are lying dead outside the hospital. We cannot get to them.
  • We are totally stranded, we are cut off from the outside world, and above all, we are left without any medical resources. We cannot even bury the dead.
  • Ferocious gunfire can be heard within the vicinity of the hospital, the intensive care unit received a mortar shell a few minutes ago.
  • Blood is everywhere, on the floor, we cannot even clean it.
  • In the past, the Israeli killing machine was killing and this was conveyed on TV screens. Now they are perpetrating the same killing but no one is listening, no one is watching, the whole world is standing by.
  • We are speaking with whatever is left of my phone battery, after that, we will be silent.
OP posts:
ChickHenLittle · 11/11/2023 17:46

notsoready4school · 11/11/2023 17:39

It’s just useless to try and get someone who has covered their eyes to see. They will know it’s true.

This. I'm ignoring more and more these days as any defence of the actions of the IDF is genuinely sickening. Not after seeing photos and hearing accounts of the children who have died, including many newborns. This isn't self-defence, as we've heard from many, many reputable bodies. It's a massacre.

MissyB1 · 11/11/2023 17:59

Why do some posters keep insinuating that Doctors speaking out about conditions in Gaza are members of Hamas??? Ffs! 🤦‍♀️ As if anyone is believing that! Fuck off with your nonsense!

ChickHenLittle · 11/11/2023 18:10

MissyB1 · 11/11/2023 17:59

Why do some posters keep insinuating that Doctors speaking out about conditions in Gaza are members of Hamas??? Ffs! 🤦‍♀️ As if anyone is believing that! Fuck off with your nonsense!

I think, at this point, it's all they've got.

BaronessEllarawrosaurus · 11/11/2023 18:38

Britain needs to fuck off out of any country unless they are genuinely wanted there. I was a young adult at the time of the troubles and I can't blame the IRA for their actions, yes I was affected, people around me were affected but if my country's response had been to bomb the hell out of Ireland with no regards for innocent victims then damm right I'd have been marching against the government.

I'm not going to claim to have the answers but I sure as hell know this genocide is not the way to tackle things.

PegasusReturns · 11/11/2023 18:43

Deliberately targeting civilians is horrific.

i haven’t seen anyone on this thread question doctors in Gaza.

I think it’s reasonable to question a government minister when the de facto government in Gaza IS Hamas. I’m not clear whether the individual is part of Hamas or not @MissyB1 @ChickHenLittle can you explain more about his background and affiliation? I can’t find any info.

Stomacharmeleon · 11/11/2023 18:51

Ok I will try....
I see it as Israel is at war. A war it was invited too by the despicable actions of Hamas. On both sides the real victims are the civilians. We are watching a war take place in real time which is a first for most of us. Of course it's disgusting, brutal and barbaric. War is all those things though.
Egypt could open the Rafa crossing and keep it open. I know people will say they are frightened they won't be allowed back and that they would rather die. It just needs to be kept opened
Any number of the Middle Eastern countries could help. They aren't. You have to ask yourself why.
Israel had no choice in light of what happened and of course we are all (I feel like whatever word I use now will be picked on) horrified by what's happening but thats war when your fighting against guerrillas. They are entrenched with the civilians.
No one could fail to be affected by the constant footage but Hamas knows what it's doing. It's not ok but I honestly don't see what else Israel could do.

I do believe people have an more negative view as it's 'the Jews'
I think it's because of social media.... I do think if it's was the pre planned genocide people talk about they would have got rid of any communication. A lot of it seems knee jerk on both sides. I don't believe doctors are hamas but i don't think anything gets past hamas..... doctors are there to do a job and they are in a war zone both sides. Conditions are grim. That's is just fact
I think America has far more to do with this than credit is being given too. As does Qatar.

They are just my thoughts.

feralunderclass · 11/11/2023 19:04

Stomacharmeleon · 11/11/2023 18:51

Ok I will try....
I see it as Israel is at war. A war it was invited too by the despicable actions of Hamas. On both sides the real victims are the civilians. We are watching a war take place in real time which is a first for most of us. Of course it's disgusting, brutal and barbaric. War is all those things though.
Egypt could open the Rafa crossing and keep it open. I know people will say they are frightened they won't be allowed back and that they would rather die. It just needs to be kept opened
Any number of the Middle Eastern countries could help. They aren't. You have to ask yourself why.
Israel had no choice in light of what happened and of course we are all (I feel like whatever word I use now will be picked on) horrified by what's happening but thats war when your fighting against guerrillas. They are entrenched with the civilians.
No one could fail to be affected by the constant footage but Hamas knows what it's doing. It's not ok but I honestly don't see what else Israel could do.

I do believe people have an more negative view as it's 'the Jews'
I think it's because of social media.... I do think if it's was the pre planned genocide people talk about they would have got rid of any communication. A lot of it seems knee jerk on both sides. I don't believe doctors are hamas but i don't think anything gets past hamas..... doctors are there to do a job and they are in a war zone both sides. Conditions are grim. That's is just fact
I think America has far more to do with this than credit is being given too. As does Qatar.

They are just my thoughts.

OK.... But you need to back track 75 years and "see" the way Israel has abused the human rights of Palestinians. Land grabbing, ruining their crops, torturing adults, detaining children, razing their homes to to the ground because "God gave us permission". Murdering them with impunity.
I couldn't care if the government is Jewish, Scientology, Muslim, Gilead or atheist. I care deeply that the occupation and longstanding oppression of a people has been ignored and they are now experiencing a blatant genocide.

And it's most worrying (and telling) that the pro Israeli posters keep comparing the government to a proscribed terrorist organisation!

Sussurations · 11/11/2023 19:06

Those saying that this will create more terrorists, maybe so - isn’t that what Hamas want? Killing innocents - isn’t that what Hamas want? Has Hamas returned the hostages? Has Hamas declared a ceasefire? Has Hamas tried to allow safe passage for Palestinian civilians in Gaza to the south, has it engaged in urgent diplomacy with Egypt or its other neighbours? What has Hamas done for the civilians of Palestine?

ChickHenLittle · 11/11/2023 19:07

@PegasusReturns I didn't post about anyone specific? Although I'm sure Google would bring up plenty about most people's backgrounds, especially if well-known.

Motorina · 11/11/2023 19:11

PegasusReturns · 11/11/2023 13:42

@OuiOuiKitty

many people on this thread have direct experience being part of a “country [that] was occupying another restricting their trade, stealing peoples land and homes, killing people on the regular and lying about it”

interestingly “the people we were treating so poorly” were “extremely pissed off about it” although strangely there wasn’t a lot of sympathy in England for the IRA bombings.

I remember the height of the troubles. I was in hearing distance of the Brighton bomb, in fact.

Do I think the British military covered themselves in glory? No. Do I remember them displacing the bulk of a civilian population, leaving them with at best fragile access to shelter food and water? Or bombing hospitals? Also no.

And, even at the height of the troubles, I do not think there would have been popular support had Thatcher seriously suggested that we do so.

OneHurtSpaggettio · 11/11/2023 19:14

This reply has been deleted

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Auvergne63 · 11/11/2023 19:15

Newbutoldfather · 11/11/2023 11:25

None of this would have happened without the Hamas attack, so it is easy to take sides. In the same sense, I ‘took sides’ in the war against terrorism despite the horrors of Abu Ghraib and Guantanamo Bay.

It is easy to sit in our comfortable homes in the UK and condemn Israel. As soon as a terror attack occurred in the UK, everyone on this thread deploring Israel (well maybe 99%) would expect our military to keep us and our children safe regardless of the collateral damage.

That does not mean I cannot deplore this attack close to a hospital. Sometimes friends in a fit of anger do bad things.

Regardless of collateral damage? Would you be able to look into the eyes of a woman I met today, a woman who has lost 35 members of her family in Gaza and tell her that they were just collateral damage, that your friends were just angry? Jesus wept!

PegasusReturns · 11/11/2023 19:16

@ChickHenLittle no you didn’t but you posted in agreement with someone who said posters insinuating that doctors were member of Hamas should fuck off.

The only doctor that posters have insinuated to be Hamas is the deputy health minister who is the dr commenting from inside al Shifa hospital.

I have googled and it’s not clear to me whether he is Hamas affiliated or not, but raising the possibility / asking the question as a number of posters did doesn’t seem unreasonable but genuinely unwell don’t know so was seeking clarification from those posters who seem to have more clarity.

Gogol253 · 11/11/2023 19:20

Auvergne63 · 11/11/2023 19:20

Sussurations · 11/11/2023 19:06

Those saying that this will create more terrorists, maybe so - isn’t that what Hamas want? Killing innocents - isn’t that what Hamas want? Has Hamas returned the hostages? Has Hamas declared a ceasefire? Has Hamas tried to allow safe passage for Palestinian civilians in Gaza to the south, has it engaged in urgent diplomacy with Egypt or its other neighbours? What has Hamas done for the civilians of Palestine?

Hamas is responsible for what happened on 07/10 ; the Israeli government for what is happening now.

ChickHenLittle · 11/11/2023 19:22

@ChickHenLittle no you didn’t but you posted in agreement with someone who said posters insinuating that doctors were member of Hamas should fuck off.

The only doctor that posters have insinuated to be Hamas is the deputy health minister who is the dr commenting from inside al Shifa hospital.

I have googled and it’s not clear to me whether he is Hamas affiliated or not, but raising the possibility / asking the question as a number of posters did doesn’t seem unreasonable but genuinely unwell don’t know so was seeking clarification from those posters who seem to have more clarity.

As far as I can tell he doesn't appear to be a member of Hamas, but there doesn't seem to be any solid confirmation either way.
However, whether he is or isn't, I don't see it as any justification to target a hospital. If there were 50 terrorists absolutely confirmed to be hiding in a hospital, no doubt about it, the lives of the injured civilians and doctors helping them would not be worth killing those terrorists.

eardefender · 11/11/2023 19:22

Bear in mind your first post is a hamas statement, I would take it with a huge pinch of salt. All staff in the hospital have always known that hamas have their headquarters below the hospital, they also know that the hostages including 30 babies are being held below the hospital. They also had 4 weeks to evacuate and there are now 4 hourly pauses. It is hamas who keep them there under duress because they need human shields. It’s hamas who can end this in an hour by surrendering and giving back the hostages.

notsoready4school · 11/11/2023 19:23

It is irrelevant who it is that is commenting from inside the hospital unless you are now questioning the facts as everyone is reporting the same. The attempts to derail threads highlighting mind blowing injustices are just getting more and more desperate.

Where is your humanity?

OP posts:
eardefender · 11/11/2023 19:24

Reported.

OneHurtSpaggettio · 11/11/2023 19:25

We decided to remove this post as it contained some inflammatory comments. We support posters engaging in political discourse, but posters must remain within the boundaries of respectful and legitimate political debate.

eardefender · 11/11/2023 19:26

Hamas have plenty of fuel for those hospital generators folks, plenty.

Stomacharmeleon · 11/11/2023 19:27

@Gogol253 emotive drivel...... and how is that helpful. Trott of then and let the grown ups chat.

Sussurations · 11/11/2023 19:28

So you can’t say what, if anything, Hamas has done or tried to do to stop the killing of its civilians by a vastly superior military power?

notsoready4school · 11/11/2023 19:29

eardefender · 11/11/2023 19:24

Reported.

What are you reporting? Nothing in that is wrong.

Israel is bringing shame to itself and all its supporters in front of the whole world, what do you expect that the world will just forget all the atrocities committed in plain sight.

OP posts:
ChickHenLittle · 11/11/2023 19:30

eardefender · 11/11/2023 19:26

Hamas have plenty of fuel for those hospital generators folks, plenty.

Considering both Hamas and the Israeli government oppress Gaza, why would this be surprising?

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.