Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Conflict in the Middle East

After this there will be silence

508 replies

notsoready4school · 11/11/2023 10:13

Are we really just going to just let this happen. I was upset about the protest ban in France but at least he has finally spoken up. When is the UK going to finally say something and stop letting this happen in our name.

This is the moment we have been warning the whole world the Gaza Deputy Health Minister Dr. Youssef Abu Alreesh, currently inside al-Shifa Hospital as it is takes heavy fire from Israeli forces.
Here are his translated comments:

• This is the moment we have been warning the whole world of, all generators are off, all power sources are out.
  • We have 39 newborns in the incubators, those babies are fighting against death.
  • No one is able to move around the compound, snipers are stationed all over the place in addition to the drones that target and kill any moving person.
  • A few minutes ago one of the engineering team was hit by a sniper, he was hit in the neck and was paralysed and he’s now about to die.
  • Part of the hospital was shelled and part of the building caught fire, we fear it will engulf the whole compound.
  • A few families tried to leave but they were targeted; now they are lying dead outside the hospital. We cannot get to them.
  • We are totally stranded, we are cut off from the outside world, and above all, we are left without any medical resources. We cannot even bury the dead.
  • Ferocious gunfire can be heard within the vicinity of the hospital, the intensive care unit received a mortar shell a few minutes ago.
  • Blood is everywhere, on the floor, we cannot even clean it.
  • In the past, the Israeli killing machine was killing and this was conveyed on TV screens. Now they are perpetrating the same killing but no one is listening, no one is watching, the whole world is standing by.
  • We are speaking with whatever is left of my phone battery, after that, we will be silent.
OP posts:
Stomacharmeleon · 22/11/2023 11:16

@feralunderclass I really wasn't attempting to minimise anything I was talking about the use of the word. I have said several times that both peoples were in that area in Biblical times.

Girahim · 22/11/2023 15:29

Reallifelurker · 22/11/2023 08:10

So why do you think there is increased security in synagogues and Jewish schools then? Is it just those pesky Jews being sensitive and exaggerating again? All these stats saying it's increasing are a lie, which you know based on the account of your friends child

To be fair reporting a comment about Israel as a hate crime but thinking a comment that Muslims are terrorists is ok is a double standard.

I thought we weren’t supposed to equate Jewish people with Israel anyway.

Edited

The difference in response from the school may have been due to one incident being reported and the ither not. That still doesn't mean that the increase in anti-Semitism is false based on one incident relayed second hand to the OP based on the account of a child. And it certainly does not explain why there is an increase in security needed, which OP has decided to give a lecture on grammar rather than address.

Girahim · 22/11/2023 15:38

notsoready4school · 21/11/2023 23:53

Of course. Conflating them ALL works vey well for the stats

Edited

"Works well"? No one wants there to be more anti-Semitic attacks.

notsoready4school · 22/11/2023 18:01

Reallifelurker · 22/11/2023 09:04

Saying Israel shouldn't exist isn't criticising Israel though, that's saying no Jews allowed in the land. Or at the very best, Jews going back to being second-class citizens. Just like they have always been in the rest of the Arab world

I would argue the view that Israel shouldn’t exist is more Anti Zionism. I mean it was a serious enough term back when I was using it to mean anti settlements. I was pulled up in that several times. Is it because the boy and his mother were not Israelis/Zionists that it has to be antisemitism?

The boy who made the remark was 11 years old. At that age you can be thoughtless. A quick talking to to explain the error of his ways should have been enough.

And I still don’t understand why calling someone who is Muslim a terrorist is taken less seriously (at least in the scenarios the OP describes)

It was taken seriously by the school. The contacted my friend and told her he is being reprimanded (detention). And that it won’t happen again.

I don’t know if the boy/ parents were Israeli. In relation to that incident as well, the school contacted her and told them what had occurred and has given him the highest form of detention (which she is currently contesting) but in the mean time they also informed her that the Jewish boys parent has logged the incident as antisemitism

OP posts:
Stomacharmeleon · 22/11/2023 18:14

@notsoready4school oh so she is contesting the detention but felt she couldn't report the Islamophobia?

notsoready4school · 22/11/2023 19:17

Reallifelurker · 22/11/2023 09:04

Saying Israel shouldn't exist isn't criticising Israel though, that's saying no Jews allowed in the land. Or at the very best, Jews going back to being second-class citizens. Just like they have always been in the rest of the Arab world

I would argue the view that Israel shouldn’t exist is more Anti Zionism. I mean it was a serious enough term back when I was using it to mean anti settlements. I was pulled up in that several times. Is it because the boy and his mother were not Israelis/Zionists that it has to be antisemitism?

The boy who made the remark was 11 years old. At that age you can be thoughtless. A quick talking to to explain the error of his ways should have been enough.

And I still don’t understand why calling someone who is Muslim a terrorist is taken less seriously (at least in the scenarios the OP describes)

The school did have a talk with him but the point is it was also reported as an incident of antisemitism in school at the CST. This is the body that gets quoted for 1000% rise in antisemitism.

OP posts:
notsoready4school · 22/11/2023 19:19

feralunderclass · 22/11/2023 10:46

This is so incredibly dehumanising and erasive of the people. I was watching a documentary of Maha Saka, a woman in her 60s who has won awards for her contribution towards the preservation of the Palestinian cross stitch. She was showing photos that go back 6 generations, to the early 1800s of her family in Bethlehem, all wearing the same clothes. She explains how the Zionist movement have attempted to erase any form of culture and identity from the Palestinians. We really need a word to describe this anti-Palestian feeling.

i not a theme here…

OP posts:
notsoready4school · 22/11/2023 19:20

@notsoready4school oh so she is contesting the detention but felt she couldn't report the Islamophobia?

you are very rude and coming across as racist

OP posts:
Xenia · 22/11/2023 19:24

It is extremely likely that there is much more anti semitism than that which is reported and that it has hugely increased.

Stomacharmeleon · 22/11/2023 19:25

@notsoready4school am I? You better report me then. I am only repeating what you have said on here. I am confused why she could complain about one and not the other? Perhaps I missed something?

ChickHenLittle · 22/11/2023 19:30

I don't mean this to get at anyone in particular, but can we please just report posts which we think break talk guidelines or are unacceptable?
Every time I see an update on this thread on my "Threads I'm on" page it's arguments about how a post should be reported and is unacceptable for whatever reason.
I'm not trying to be uppity or nasty, it's just taken away from the original topic.

notsoready4school · 22/11/2023 19:33

This reply has been deleted

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

notsoready4school · 22/11/2023 19:39

Who should she report Islamophobia to?

OP posts:
Stomacharmeleon · 22/11/2023 19:47

@notsoready4school why would she not report to the school?

Humdingerydoo · 22/11/2023 19:49

No, that wouldn't be a cynic saying that. It would be said by someone who eg has consistently repeated an anti-semitic comment, refused to listen when told what they're saying isn't acceptable and then denied antisemitism is much of an issue. It would be said by someone who refuses to understand that every single Jewish school, old-age home, nursery, synagogue, museum, hospice etc in this country have guards posted outside out of necessity, and that these guards need to be paid.

notsoready4school · 22/11/2023 20:02

Stomacharmeleon · 22/11/2023 19:47

@notsoready4school why would she not report to the school?

Umm the school is the one who informed her of both incidents. They don’t log either with any racism body. It’s the Jewish boys parents who reported it.

Before you suggest the police, there are c4m Muslims in the UK. Many of whom are identifiably so and a lot of whom are in jobs where they will regularly receive abuse anyway. shop keepers, Uber drivers, takeaway owners etc. They will tend not to report it to the police unless it is violent. It is unlikely they call the police every time they get shouted down as terrorist or other words. Probably only when it gets violent.

This was in the US but we have shops like this here, do you think this guy called the police? Do you think this is a one off occurrence ?https://twitter.com/Lowkey0nline/status/1727036202648219991/mediaViewer?currentTweet=1727036202648219991&currentTweet=1727036202648219991&currentTweetUser=Lowkey0nline&currentTweetUser=Lowkey0nline

https://twitter.com/Lowkey0nline/status/1727036202648219991/mediaViewer?currentTweet=1727036202648219991&currentTweet=1727036202648219991&currentTweetUser=Lowkey0nline&currentTweetUser=Lowkey0nline

OP posts:
Stomacharmeleon · 22/11/2023 20:05

@notsoready4school I am not being obtuse but why couldn't she do the same? If she felt it was on par?

Girahim · 22/11/2023 20:12

notsoready4school · 22/11/2023 19:17

The school did have a talk with him but the point is it was also reported as an incident of antisemitism in school at the CST. This is the body that gets quoted for 1000% rise in antisemitism.

Can you point me to the 1000% figure? I can't see it on their website.

Thekirit · 22/11/2023 20:17

Can we get back to the thread.
please.

Youve both proved your point
Please move on

Switcher · 22/11/2023 20:19

Stop what happening? Terrorists lying?

Stomacharmeleon · 22/11/2023 20:20

@Thekirit absolutely. Apologies

Humdingerydoo · 22/11/2023 20:22

notsoready4school · 22/11/2023 20:02

Umm the school is the one who informed her of both incidents. They don’t log either with any racism body. It’s the Jewish boys parents who reported it.

Before you suggest the police, there are c4m Muslims in the UK. Many of whom are identifiably so and a lot of whom are in jobs where they will regularly receive abuse anyway. shop keepers, Uber drivers, takeaway owners etc. They will tend not to report it to the police unless it is violent. It is unlikely they call the police every time they get shouted down as terrorist or other words. Probably only when it gets violent.

This was in the US but we have shops like this here, do you think this guy called the police? Do you think this is a one off occurrence ?https://twitter.com/Lowkey0nline/status/1727036202648219991/mediaViewer?currentTweet=1727036202648219991&currentTweet=1727036202648219991&currentTweetUser=Lowkey0nline&currentTweetUser=Lowkey0nline

So you readily assume that Muslims don't always report every disgusting, islamophobic comment thrown their way, but you think anti-Semitism is exaggerated? You don't think Jews also have racist slurs thrown their way and they ignore rather than report the majority of the time? Instead, you think we report things that aren't anti-Semitic just to get more funding. Right. Interesting.

FourCandlesNotForkHandles · 22/11/2023 20:25

Stomacharmeleon · 22/11/2023 20:20

@Thekirit absolutely. Apologies

Oh well.!
someone tried.!

If posters want a personal argument, with no one listening to anything then why can’t they use the personal messaging available.
This post has been derailed for pages now.

LilyMumsnet · 22/11/2023 20:26

Hi all

Please can we get the thread back on track? If it continues after this post, we will likely have to remove it. Thanks. Flowers

pomewis · 22/11/2023 20:33

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.