My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To get fed up when people put downer comments on lighthearted posts?

161 replies

Queenconsult · 26/02/2024 20:58

Fully expecting those Debbie downers to get funny about this.

It happens so often on here, someone posts a semi light hearted post usually about things your husband has done that have annoyed you, straw that broke the camels back, things that gave you the ick or the family ones - what made you realize your childhood was a bit weird etc.

Most people get it’s a bit of fun then you always get the Debbie downers that put ‘I got the ick when he raped me after I came out of the shower’ or ‘I knew my childhood was not normal when I realised no one else slept naked with their grandparents’

key example is earlier on the DD made to hug her grandad post, of course on the first page there is someone telling their life story of the uncle who molested them, no one asked, no one cares, it’s also not relevant.

It’s just so unnecessary and a bit attention seeking tbh. It’s just annoying seeing some funny posts be hijacked by the depressing ones as people can’t read a room.

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

324 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
25%
You are NOT being unreasonable
75%
CheerfulBardo · 26/02/2024 21:03

You don’t get to police other people’s posts, any more than you get to decide who finds your jokes in the canteen hilarious, and who is desperate for you to transfer to another continent. You mightn’t like the change of tone, but there you are. That’s life.

Queenconsult · 26/02/2024 21:06

You don’t get to police other people’s posts, any more than you get to decide who finds your jokes in the canteen hilarious, and who is desperate for you to transfer to another continent. You mightn’t like the change of tone, but there you are. That’s life.

Never said I do get to police them

But I can for sure judge and think it’s a bit weird

OP posts:
MidnightPatrol · 26/02/2024 21:07

Jackpot!

TheFreaksShallInheritTheEarth · 26/02/2024 21:08

That's true @CheerfulBardo , but if a poster doesn't relate to what's going on in the thread nor agree with its premise, they could just scroll on by until they find something that's more to their liking; there's no need to spoil it for everyone else.

baileybrosbuildingandloan · 26/02/2024 21:13

Ride and misogynistic.

The term Debbie Downer is as offensive as Karen.

Just stop it.

baileybrosbuildingandloan · 26/02/2024 21:13

#rude

Gobolina · 26/02/2024 21:15

Wow, first post.

You are so not being unreasonable op, and it's so fucking tedious.

Gobolina · 26/02/2024 21:16

Fuck me, they're out in force.

I really do wonder how some people cope with no lightheartedness or sense of humour at all.

Like do they never have a day off??

BitchImTheSecretIngredient · 26/02/2024 21:17

Agree OP. Sometimes i come on here for a bit of light relief

Runningwildish · 26/02/2024 21:17

You're so right.incoming posters are proving you right

Herdinggoats · 26/02/2024 21:18

I’m not sure that the straw that broke the camels back post where people were talking about years of shit relationship and what finally tipped them over the edge was ever lighthearted…

loropianalover · 26/02/2024 21:18

Have to say I agree with you, it’s really stomach churning to have those comments everywhere. It seems those people are crying out for help and possibly have no one to talk to in their lives but it’s extremely inappropriate.

Thepeopleversuswork · 26/02/2024 21:19

I hate the "lighthearted" tag because I hate being told how to respond or what to find funny/not funny and I hate toxic positivity.

As a PP has said, its not your thread and you don't get to police other people's reactions.

If you can't deal with a robust response, don't put yourself on the line. It's not your internet.

Oh and "Debbie Downer" is a load of patronising tripe.

Treehuggingmutherfunkin · 26/02/2024 21:20

When people are unhappy it's easy to project onto others especially strangers on the Internet. I have been guilty of it so not acting like I'm an angel

ItsMostProbablyMe · 26/02/2024 21:20

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

SkaneTos · 26/02/2024 21:20

Sometimes it's hard to read the tone of a post.
I like it when people write that the post is meant to be lighthearted. Then I can have the right expectations.

LightSwerve · 26/02/2024 21:20

I think it's normal to get a range of responses, it's a public forum so you get a bit of everything.

I skim the serious posts if I don't want to read them. I think the best thing to do is ignore the bits you don't like.

tillytoodles1 · 26/02/2024 21:21

Posts like my mum, husband or kids etc are getting on my nerves. Then someone pipes up you're lucky to have them, I lost my mum, husband and can't have kids

CarrotOfPeace · 26/02/2024 21:22

Please don't do the "Debbie Downer" thing. It's not nice.

pictoosh · 26/02/2024 21:22

I wouldn't say 'no one cares' but honestly, I'm not fond of those posts either. There is a time and a place and trauma dumping on light hearted chatty threads isn't it.

TheCadoganArms · 26/02/2024 21:24

OP: Omg I have a raging hangover, anyone know a magic cure

DD: You do realise drinking to excess is bad for you. I think you have a drinking problem.

CeeChynaa · 26/02/2024 21:29

I had a post recently where I asked posters to tell me about ridiculous/funny news articles that have stuck in their mind.

The amount of posters that came on the thread to talk about Sarah Everard and loads of traumatic stories was actually crazy! Loads of posters keep on pointing out that it was meant to be a funny thread as I’d specifically asked for NO sad stories but hey, what can you do. I don’t think people can help themselves tbh

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

CeeChynaa · 26/02/2024 21:29

tillytoodles1 · 26/02/2024 21:21

Posts like my mum, husband or kids etc are getting on my nerves. Then someone pipes up you're lucky to have them, I lost my mum, husband and can't have kids

Yep!! Like PLS, give us all a break

Gobolina · 26/02/2024 21:35

TheCadoganArms · 26/02/2024 21:24

OP: Omg I have a raging hangover, anyone know a magic cure

DD: You do realise drinking to excess is bad for you. I think you have a drinking problem.

Or more like dd; you really shouldn't drink. I nearly got alcohol poisoning, got assaulted on the way home, ran away and got hit by a car then had my leg amputated. When I got home all my pets were dead and my dh had left me then i found out both my parents were dead. Oh, and I have anxiety.

As said upthread, tedious as shit.

I'll never understand why this people have to come in and burst everyone's bubble. Mauve they want even to be as miserable as they are and can't stand to see people having a laugh.

Niknakk · 26/02/2024 21:58

key example is earlier on the DD made to hug her grandad post, of course on the first page there is someone telling their life story of the uncle

yeah this was in response to me saying that kind of kids can be kids, saying they don't like this and that. Not suggesting that a child should be forced to hug someone, but just saying I wouldnt think too much into it while their father and grandmother were also in the room. Bit of a heavy response I thought 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.