Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To not pick up dog poo...

757 replies

Moonfishstar · 13/02/2024 05:54

... when in a quiet forest, but to flick it with a stick into dense undergrowth instead?

I don't see any issue with this, but I've got a feeling lots will disagree with me, so I wanted to get some other opinions.

OP posts:
PoppingTomorrow · 13/02/2024 05:55

Your dog's poo? Yes YABU

stopringingme · 13/02/2024 05:57

A forest near to us has signs saying this is okay to do.

HaPPy8 · 13/02/2024 05:58

The forestry commission support this apparently!

SabrinaThwaite · 13/02/2024 05:59

Yes, of course you should bag it and bin it.

DisforDarkChocolate · 13/02/2024 06:04

Some forests near may say this is fine but you must be well clear of paths.

10ThousandSpoons · 13/02/2024 06:05

HaPPy8 · 13/02/2024 05:58

The forestry commission support this apparently!

Probably because people can't be arsed to pick it up so it's the lesser of two evils.

OP - if it's your dog you know what you've fed it and you know it's no where near the same as rabbit or deer poo. So just pick it up. We don't need your dogs worms and meaty poo in the forest.

Bigtom · 13/02/2024 06:06

All good until you go for a walk with kids who like scrambling through the undergrowth …

Nofilteritwonthelp · 13/02/2024 06:12

This reply has been deleted

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Pickles2023 · 13/02/2024 06:14

I feel as long has the dog is well, jabbed and you know what youve fed i would be like no harm...

I think the main issue in this scenario is if the dog has health concerns (like worms) the can infect other wildlife..i have seen a dog owner who didnt bother with basic vet stuff for their puppy (jabs, worming ect)

BrutusMcDogface · 13/02/2024 06:15

Omg just pick it up!!

Willmafrockfit · 13/02/2024 06:16

i really dont like this
just bag it,
children walk through the woods in all areas
dog poo is not good for the soil

Willmafrockfit · 13/02/2024 06:17

i suspect the forest commission support this, stick and flick, so they dont have to provide bins

NoWordForFluffy · 13/02/2024 06:18

This reply has been deleted

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

This says it all, I think.

I walk my dog in the local woods and it's covered in dog shit because of lazy, selfish, twats. Even my bloody dog stood in it at the weekend. 🤢

Just pick it up and carry it to the bin.

Meadowfinch · 13/02/2024 06:29

If you can't be bothered to pick up poo, you aren't fit to own a dog.

Nofilteritwonthelp · 13/02/2024 06:30

NoWordForFluffy · 13/02/2024 06:18

This says it all, I think.

I walk my dog in the local woods and it's covered in dog shit because of lazy, selfish, twats. Even my bloody dog stood in it at the weekend. 🤢

Just pick it up and carry it to the bin.

Disgusting! That sounds horrible, I don't think there is a worse smell than dog shit, except maybe a dead corpse

Gingernaut · 13/02/2024 06:33

YADBU

Simonjt · 13/02/2024 06:34

Places generally only advise stick and flick so the owners who don’t pick up poo are less likely to leave it on the actual main walking areas.

We always pick up ours, even in autumn when we have to have a good stare to work out whats a poo and whats a pile of leaves, which can be traumatic when you go and grab the poo to discovers its cold, and so someone elses poo.

LaLoba · 13/02/2024 06:34

10ThousandSpoons · 13/02/2024 06:05

Probably because people can't be arsed to pick it up so it's the lesser of two evils.

OP - if it's your dog you know what you've fed it and you know it's no where near the same as rabbit or deer poo. So just pick it up. We don't need your dogs worms and meaty poo in the forest.

Lesser of two evils from the Forestry point of view for sure. In reality it leads to the first half mile of path nearest car park to be humming with the smell of dog shit.
I’ve got two dogs and spend a lot of time picking up poo. My feeling is that anyone who isn’t prepared to carry a bag of poo for however many miles it takes to find a bin shouldn’t get a dog in the first place.

Moonfishstar · 13/02/2024 06:39

You wouldn't see the dog poo in my forest unless you went searching. I flick it under dense brambles or the like, so no kid, or even dog, is going to traipse through it.

I'm guessing there are quite a lot of city dwellers posting with their experience of small densely-used suburban woods... I'm talking about a large Forestry England forest that's about the size of a city!

OP posts:
Willmafrockfit · 13/02/2024 06:42

You wouldn't see the dog poo in my forest unless you went searching. I flick it under dense brambles or the like, so no kid, or even dog, is going to traipse through it.

you absolutely cannot guarantee this! plus you cannot be sure your dog is going to poo near dense brambles.
just pick it up and bring it home

Willmafrockfit · 13/02/2024 06:42

not a city dweller btw

Moonfishstar · 13/02/2024 06:42

Btw, I always pick up dog poo when I'm not deep in a deserted forest.

OP posts:
Ducksinthebath · 13/02/2024 06:43

Moonfishstar · 13/02/2024 06:39

I'm guessing there are quite a lot of city dwellers posting with their experience of small densely-used suburban woods... I'm talking about a large Forestry England forest that's about the size of a city!

OP: AIBU?
Just about everyone: YABU
OP: No I’m not!

This was all a bit of a pointless exercise wasn’t it?

Moonfishstar · 13/02/2024 06:44

you absolutely cannot guarantee this! plus you cannot be sure your dog is going to poo near dense brambles .just pick it up and bring it home

You absolutely cannot guarantee anything in life! If we all only did things where we could absolutely guarantee the outcome, we'd never leave the house!

OP posts:
Willmafrockfit · 13/02/2024 06:45

even in our local forest there are poo bins,
on checking it is forestryengland

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.