Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To not pick up dog poo...

757 replies

Moonfishstar · 13/02/2024 05:54

... when in a quiet forest, but to flick it with a stick into dense undergrowth instead?

I don't see any issue with this, but I've got a feeling lots will disagree with me, so I wanted to get some other opinions.

OP posts:
Willmafrockfit · 13/02/2024 06:46

just dont do it op@Moonfishstar

PheobeBebe · 13/02/2024 06:46

I just bag mine. Forestry commission encourage this though, to the point they don't provide any bins so i wouldn't get that worked up about it

Passingthethyme · 13/02/2024 06:47

Moonfishstar · 13/02/2024 06:44

you absolutely cannot guarantee this! plus you cannot be sure your dog is going to poo near dense brambles .just pick it up and bring it home

You absolutely cannot guarantee anything in life! If we all only did things where we could absolutely guarantee the outcome, we'd never leave the house!

Oh please. Stop being so lazy and disgusting.

TwylaSands · 13/02/2024 06:48

Yes you are wrong to do this.

GoFaster83 · 13/02/2024 06:48

My dog always goes in the deepest almost unreachable places - In fact she tends to go towards where other dogs have been. I've lost track of how much "hidden" shite I've stepped in while picking up hers. It's disgusting. Pick it up. Take it to a bin. It's that simple.

Moonfishstar · 13/02/2024 06:48
  • OP: AIBU?
    Just about everyone: YABU
    OP: No I’m not!
    This was all a bit of a pointless exercise wasn’t it?*

Well, it's given me food for thought.

Given virtually all my dog-walker friends do this too, I suspect like most MN threads, the responses are highly self-selecting.

The fact that Forestry England are fine with this indicates it's not the big deal some are making it out to be.
OP posts:
SabrinaThwaite · 13/02/2024 06:50

Moonfishstar · 13/02/2024 06:39

I walk my dog in the local woods and it's covered in dog shit because of lazy, selfish, twats. Even my bloody dog stood in it at the weekend. 🤢

You wouldn't see the dog poo in my forest unless you went searching. I flick it under dense brambles or the like, so no kid, or even dog, is going to traipse through it.

I'm guessing there are quite a lot of city dwellers posting with their experience of small densely-used suburban woods... I'm talking about a large Forestry England forest that's about the size of a city!

Yeah right, anybody disagreeing with you must be a townie eh?

You do know that Forestry England expect you to bag and bin your dogshit?

https://www.forestryengland.uk/dog-code

Your Forest Dog Code

Take the lead Forests are great spaces for your dog to enjoy, just make sure you know when you need to use the lead. Keep your eyes peeled Please respect other visitors, wildlife and livestock, keep your eyes open and your dog within sight. Have good c...

https://www.forestryengland.uk/dog-code

NoSquirrels · 13/02/2024 06:50

Nearest big woods to us, no dog poo bins (or any bins at all, despite provided picnic benches in the car park), and the low branches of bushes near the paths are festooned with hanging dog poo bags. Now that is a worse evil for wildlife in a forest than some dog poo sticked and flicked. Some people have both dogs and poo bags but no common sense.

Moonfishstar · 13/02/2024 06:52

GoFaster83 · 13/02/2024 06:48

My dog always goes in the deepest almost unreachable places - In fact she tends to go towards where other dogs have been. I've lost track of how much "hidden" shite I've stepped in while picking up hers. It's disgusting. Pick it up. Take it to a bin. It's that simple.

The only reason you're stepping in dog poo is because you're deliberately going in to those "deepest, unreachable" places. The fact you encounter poo in such places is that most people don't. If you just left it you would be fine!

OP posts:
Sonora25 · 13/02/2024 06:52

Disgusting. So fed up with entitled dog owners. Don’t get a dog if you are too lazy to pick up the shits. I love cleaning jt off my kids shoes and bikes.

Sonora25 · 13/02/2024 06:53

This reply has been deleted

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

MissedItByThisMuch · 13/02/2024 06:54

Do people genuinely believe that encasing faeces, a natural biodegradable material, in millions of plastic bags, basically for ever (even so-called biodegradable plastics take forever to do so) is better for the environment?? Better for them perhaps, but hardly better for the planet.

HaPPy8 · 13/02/2024 06:55

There are posters similar to this around local to me so I can understand the question completely

To not pick up dog poo...
abcdefghijkI · 13/02/2024 06:55

Bigtom · 13/02/2024 06:06

All good until you go for a walk with kids who like scrambling through the undergrowth …

^ This

BiscuitDreams · 13/02/2024 06:56

This.

Just pick up the shit. Don't be a dick.

Moonfishstar · 13/02/2024 06:57
  • You do know that Forestry England expect you to bag and bin your dogshit?
    www.forestryengland.uk/dog-code*

Thank you. I didn't know that.

I think it will depend on how deep I am into the forest. If I'm in a public area or there's any danger of it being stepped on, I will... If I'm on tracks that are only used very sparsely a long way from civilisation, and there's next to no chance anyone would ever go into the dense undergrowth, I'll continue to use my judgment - as most people do.
OP posts:
10ThousandSpoons · 13/02/2024 06:58

LaLoba · 13/02/2024 06:34

Lesser of two evils from the Forestry point of view for sure. In reality it leads to the first half mile of path nearest car park to be humming with the smell of dog shit.
I’ve got two dogs and spend a lot of time picking up poo. My feeling is that anyone who isn’t prepared to carry a bag of poo for however many miles it takes to find a bin shouldn’t get a dog in the first place.

I agree. Don't get a dog if you can't bag up it's shit

Tygertiger · 13/02/2024 06:59

Get a Dicky Bag. It’s a zipped neoprene bag which clips on the lead, your belt, whatever. You put full dog bags in it until you get to a bin to save carrying them. It’s totally smell-proof (to the extent you have to check you’ve emptied it when you get home or you’ll forget!) and keeps everything hands-free. They’re not cheap but on long dog walks where there aren’t many bins they’re a game-changer.

Moonfishstar · 13/02/2024 07:00

@Sonora25

Are you a troll?

No! The fact that there are even posters encouraging people to do what I do, and that everyone I know who has a dog does this, means that I'm not the "odd one out", even if you might find it disgusting.

OP posts:
Sonora25 · 13/02/2024 07:01

I know you are not the odd one out, my kids constantly step in dog poo thanks to irresponsible dog owners like you.
Are you not even a tiny bit ashamed or embarrassed?

IcedPlum · 13/02/2024 07:01

But what about all the other animals that shit in the forest ? Like foxes , badgers etc ?

LaLoba · 13/02/2024 07:02

Tygertiger · 13/02/2024 06:59

Get a Dicky Bag. It’s a zipped neoprene bag which clips on the lead, your belt, whatever. You put full dog bags in it until you get to a bin to save carrying them. It’s totally smell-proof (to the extent you have to check you’ve emptied it when you get home or you’ll forget!) and keeps everything hands-free. They’re not cheap but on long dog walks where there aren’t many bins they’re a game-changer.

They also last years, so well worth the money, had mine over a decade. Off road runs are a lot more fun without a bag of poo swinging from my sweaty hand!
This thread is sponsored by Dickybag…not really 😉

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

LaLoba · 13/02/2024 07:05

IcedPlum · 13/02/2024 07:01

But what about all the other animals that shit in the forest ? Like foxes , badgers etc ?

They don’t tend to do that close to places frequented by humans, so there isn’t the build up that happens when lots of dogs get out of the car and poo in the first mile.
Also, it’s their natural habitat and we have control over the dog situation.

KvotheTheBloodless · 13/02/2024 07:08

It's best if you bury it, less good if you leave it uncovered, but lots better than bagging it then abandoning it!

Snowpaw · 13/02/2024 07:09

I found it so stressful walking through woods near me when my DD was a toddler. She’d run everywhere, didn’t stay on the path and almost every trip ended with me scraping dog shit off shoes at home. Absolutely vile.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.