Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To not pick up dog poo...

757 replies

Moonfishstar · 13/02/2024 05:54

... when in a quiet forest, but to flick it with a stick into dense undergrowth instead?

I don't see any issue with this, but I've got a feeling lots will disagree with me, so I wanted to get some other opinions.

OP posts:
Longma · 13/02/2024 07:34

Responsible dog ownership = picking up your dog's poo, regardless of where it happens.

Anything else is generally lazy and irresponsible.

Do you really think that leaving it is beneficial in any way?
It's simply the lesser of two evils.

Nofilteritwonthelp · 13/02/2024 07:35

TheCadoganArms · 13/02/2024 07:26

Well that escalated quickly.

😆 subject close to my heart. I can't believe how disgusting and lazy some people are!

YouWillGoOnMyFirstWhistle · 13/02/2024 07:35

Moonfishstar · 13/02/2024 06:42

Btw, I always pick up dog poo when I'm not deep in a deserted forest.

Lol yeah they all say that. And yet the pavements and grassy areas in many towns and cities are riddled with it.

trisky · 13/02/2024 07:36

Stick and flick is fine is this scenario.

Willmafrockfit · 13/02/2024 07:37

dog poo itself is very bad fore the environment, we know the bags are bad, but the poo is NOT good,

ThePure · 13/02/2024 07:39

I always pick up. To an obsessive degree DH would say.

1. When DC were small they would roam about and play in bushes etc and it was horrific if they stepped in poo

1. The sheer number of dog owners now means that in popular places the volume of shit will quickly escalate to horrible levels if everyone flicks. I was devastated on visiting a lane where I used to go as a kid and finding it literally festooned with dog poo including people hanging bags on trees which is a behaviour I completely fail to understand. Do they intend to come back for it and forget??

Very occasionally if we are walking somewhere genuinely back of beyond then I might stick and flick although that in itself is a gross thing to try to do. My dog usually poos soon after the start of a walk though (which seems is the case for most) so within striking distance of a poo bin in general

MIL used to walk her 3 dogs by a canal and flick it in the water which on one level seems OK but then I imagined all the many many dog poos getting flicked in that canal (popular suburban spot in the commuter belt in Southern England) and thought it surely has to be bad for the environment. I know the plastic bags are bad but I still think it's the lesser of 2 evils.
noonesproblem · 13/02/2024 07:39

I had a friend who did this but then promptly scolded her kids for running in the area she’d ‘environmentally’ flicked the shit as they would tread in it 🧐

So no I don’t support this as it encourages people to spread the shit over a wider area, and no, people won’t just do it in ‘dense brambles’.

There is also some research into the bad environmental impact of large numbers of dogs in wild areas, partly due to the large amounts of waste they leave changing the composition of soil and effecting local flora.

cryinglaughing · 13/02/2024 07:39

The problem with this is people think if they are rural, not necessarily in a forest, they can flick.

I live very rurally, there is a footpath that comes down the (private) lane to the house and then diverts round the property into a field.
Dog walkers just leave their shit because we are rural, or flick it to the base of the stone walls.

If the default was to pick up all shit, I would like to think this wouldn't happen.
In reality it probably would because people are lazy and don't want to carry a bag shit with them for a couple of miles 😡

MontyDonsBlueScarf · 13/02/2024 07:40

I recently spoke to some forest rangers who said that although they previously thought stick and flick was ok, they are now asking people to pick up wherever possible. This is because in some areas the dog poo is changing the environment, to the detriment of wildlife. This is apparently particularly the case where dogs are fed on processed food that contains non local ingredients.

You have to be realistic though, and accept that it's not always possible to pick up. If my dog decides to poo when he's off sniffing a deer track on the other side of the valley then there's no way I'm ever going to be able to find it, let alone pick it up.

BookwormDadUK · 13/02/2024 07:41

Nofilteritwonthelp · 13/02/2024 06:30

Disgusting! That sounds horrible, I don't think there is a worse smell than dog shit, except maybe a dead corpse

What other kind of corpses are there?

MrBanana · 13/02/2024 07:42

It’s fine OP. I do this, and flick it into hedges etc.

I don’t understand the logic of putting a compostable material into a plastic bag and mummifying it, if there’s a more bio friendly alternative. Obviously not on paths etc but you’ve made that clear.

backinthebox · 13/02/2024 07:43

Enthusiastic orienteer here. You wouldn’t believe how far off the marked trail orienteers go! We even wear leg protection so we can push through dense brambles. And many orienteering events are held in Forestry England locations. (Both of the big events I’ve been to this year have been on Forestry England sites.) If we stepped in dog poo it would be really unpleasant, but we wash our shoes and leg wear each time we have orienteered anyway, because good hygiene practice means that we don’t want to take spores, seeds or any other unwanted thing from one forest to another, and we do this because we are responsible and respectful users of the wild places.

OP, be a responsible and respectful user of the forest too - don’t leave anything in the forest that wasn’t there when you entered it.

backinthebox · 13/02/2024 07:44

Also, to plastic-refuseniks- buy biodegradable bags. They are out there! Easily purchased. Not wanting to use plastic is a poor excuse.

ruby1957 · 13/02/2024 07:45

Is it really too much effort to take it home with you rather than spread it around either on fields or in woodland.
Speaking as a dog owner - disposal of said poo is YOUR responsibility.

I have tried as a dog owner to train my dog to poo in my garden before going for a walk in places where I know there will be no dog poo bins.

Yougetmoreofwhatyoufocuson · 13/02/2024 07:46

Probably forest commission have started to advise this to try and deter the weirdos who bag the poo and then hang it up on the bushes.
Every single time I take the grandchildren out, one of them steps in dog poo, or rolls their scooter/ bike through it. Which I then have to deal with before we can get back in the car.
I used to like dogs.

noonesproblem · 13/02/2024 07:50

GreyWednesday · 13/02/2024 07:12

I was thinking this. I appreciate nobody wants to step in dog poo, but from an environmental point of view I’d be interested to know what’s better. I bag, but I have seen the stick and flick signs and thought that seems sensible if your dog is healthy and up to date with worming.

Our local forestry England forest has very obvious walking/cycling routes and you don’t tend to see walkers venturing off those, so I would have assumed that a dog poo several metres away from the track would have been safe from being trodden on.

I don’t tend to venture too far off the track now after I nearly trod on a very large, semi decomposed owl while I was ‘exploring’…

Kids do. I imagine that the imbecile at the Forestry Commission who sanctioned this policy does not have kids.

You also have to remember how these decisions get made. Someone has it in their job description to come up with environmentally friendly policies. Someone else has the role of nodding this through, ‘great idea Nigel.’ No one is thinking about it very hard.

I’ve worked in the public sector a long time and a lot of decisions are waved through with very little investigation or scrutiny. Especially if there are no cost implications, like this one.

‘The Forestry Commission says it’s ok’, carries no sway with me.

noonesproblem · 13/02/2024 07:52

BookwormDadUK · 13/02/2024 07:41

What other kind of corpses are there?

Zombies 😀

MorningSunshineSparkles · 13/02/2024 07:52

I pick my dog shit up in forests because I don’t want to step in it or stand there shoving it about with a stick. It’d take you far less time to pick it up and would mean you weren’t the dirty clat stood there prodding dog shit with a stick. Don’t be so disgusting.

oOmoonhaOo · 13/02/2024 07:55

I don’t bother picking shit up if we’re out in the sticks. Which is most of the time. Mountains, forests, moorland.

We live in the Lake District, which can get super busy so obviously if we go on a popular walk like Skelwith then we will pick it up. But if we’re on Blawith and it’s off the path then we won’t bother.

I think it’s weird that we preserve poo for hundreds of years in a bag when it can often degrade in a day or 2 in UK weather…. obviously depending on the weather.

Moonfishstar · 13/02/2024 07:55

I agree my dog will poo and it drops into the brambles. I am not collecting poo which will rip my arms to shreds!! I think some people who are moaning may not walk in the places you and I seem to walk!!

Yes... Various posters are saying what info is wrong because their kids step on poo when not on the path in a local park. It's a completely different scenario. It would not be possible to walk in the places I flick it unless you took some secateurs and forced your way in!

OP posts:
Moonfishstar · 13/02/2024 07:57

oOmoonhaOo · 13/02/2024 07:55

I don’t bother picking shit up if we’re out in the sticks. Which is most of the time. Mountains, forests, moorland.

We live in the Lake District, which can get super busy so obviously if we go on a popular walk like Skelwith then we will pick it up. But if we’re on Blawith and it’s off the path then we won’t bother.

I think it’s weird that we preserve poo for hundreds of years in a bag when it can often degrade in a day or 2 in UK weather…. obviously depending on the weather.

I genuinely think some people have no idea how sparsely populated some parts of the UK are. I didn't before I live where I do now. I can literally walk for miles and not see a soul.

OP posts:

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

BitFedUpTheNoo · 13/02/2024 07:58

I stick it and flick it when in woods or very overgrown areas, providing it's somewhere no-one is going to walk (brambles, etc.). A poo will decompose very quickly as opposed to a bag of shite in a landfill. Even biodegradable bags take a year to breakdown. Always pick up on paths, walkways, etc.

oOmoonhaOo · 13/02/2024 07:58

I’m surprised at how many step in poo too!… Which makes me think that OP is right that many on here are city/large town dwellers.

noonesproblem · 13/02/2024 07:59

Marchitectmummy · 13/02/2024 07:28

Of course it's wrong, that deserted forest is there to be enjoyed by all. That includes families with exploring children. We managed to end up with dogs muck on 3 out of 5 of our girls from what I suspect is flicked poo, one of them had it on their hands after picking up a branch they wanted to walk with.

Can you imagine how repulsive that actually was? We had to abandon the walk and ealk 30 mins back to our car taking it in turns holding onto our daughters wrist to stop her rubbing it pm her face, while the other had to stop the others from crying.

So yes you are unreasonable, if you are in England there is absolutely no such thing as an abandoned forest.

Well your post rather proves a pp point about the shitty stick being left lying around for a child to pick up shit end first

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.