Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To not pick up dog poo...

757 replies

Moonfishstar · 13/02/2024 05:54

... when in a quiet forest, but to flick it with a stick into dense undergrowth instead?

I don't see any issue with this, but I've got a feeling lots will disagree with me, so I wanted to get some other opinions.

OP posts:
Justpontificating · 16/02/2024 19:08

Theminer · 16/02/2024 13:48

They will have realised that there is no chance of people actually putting themselves out to pick up the shit unless it’s in front of their noses, so they hope people might at least be prepared to flick it off the path. 

Same principle is used in public information all the time- 5 a day for example- medical professionals know that that isn’t really enough and people should eat more fruit and vegetables, but they also know that if they tell them a lower number they might try and it’s better than nothing.

If they went to the trouble of going to that place to give out information then there must have been a dog shit problem- like everything else funding means that you target interventions to where they are most needed. So there must have been shit all over and probably bags of shit left all over too and they were going for the least difficult advice that people might bother to follow, rather than the evidence backed preferred policy.

Good point.
Or possibly it’s because they don’t want humans traipsing through the undergrowth after their dogs, who are also traipsing through the undergrowth. That’s two sets of footfall doing or looking for a poo.
All that disturbance to the flora, fauna and ground habitats could be too much.
Better advice is for all humans to stay on the track and put your dog on a lead if they can’t too.

Theminer · 16/02/2024 19:10

Justpontificating · 16/02/2024 19:08

Good point.
Or possibly it’s because they don’t want humans traipsing through the undergrowth after their dogs, who are also traipsing through the undergrowth. That’s two sets of footfall doing or looking for a poo.
All that disturbance to the flora, fauna and ground habitats could be too much.
Better advice is for all humans to stay on the track and put your dog on a lead if they can’t too.

In that case they would put signs up saying not to leave the path, like they do during lambing/ground nesting etc etc.

Minymile · 16/02/2024 19:25

Theminer · 16/02/2024 19:10

In that case they would put signs up saying not to leave the path, like they do during lambing/ground nesting etc etc.

It looks like @MontyDonsBlueScarf wood have chosen to educate rather than sign.
Signs in a natural wood can be out of place.
So Perhaps @MontyDonsBlueScarf wood is not the type of wood that comes with a carpark and/ or lots of signs … If it is then a sign would be great and not out of place.

However the best thing we can do to protect our natural environment is to not trample all over it.
Im assuming those who are worried and pick up poo would also understand this.

Theminer · 16/02/2024 19:39

Minymile · 16/02/2024 19:25

It looks like @MontyDonsBlueScarf wood have chosen to educate rather than sign.
Signs in a natural wood can be out of place.
So Perhaps @MontyDonsBlueScarf wood is not the type of wood that comes with a carpark and/ or lots of signs … If it is then a sign would be great and not out of place.

However the best thing we can do to protect our natural environment is to not trample all over it.
Im assuming those who are worried and pick up poo would also understand this.

She says she was told to pick up poo in the car park of that wood, so clearly it isn’t a remote-place-you-can-only-hike-to type wood.

Justpontificating · 16/02/2024 19:49

Theminer · 16/02/2024 19:39

She says she was told to pick up poo in the car park of that wood, so clearly it isn’t a remote-place-you-can-only-hike-to type wood.

Clearly then whoever cares for it doesn’t want signs everywhere and have decided to educate people instead. ( I can see the aesthetic benefits of this). Seems a great idea although I’ve never experienced similar.

Everywhere we walk people respect nature and keep on the paths….no signs needed,

MontyDonsBlueScarf · 19/02/2024 08:20

Just to clarify, I walk my dogs round town, in country parks, and in a national park. The national park has remote places accessible from car parks, as I imagine they all do. I am bemused by the idea that the visitors need to be told not to trample everywhere by a multitude of 'please keep off the grass' signs.

happypillsareworking · 19/02/2024 08:55

Ruralrules · 13/02/2024 10:25

My dog did a large poo in the snow a week or so ago on an extremely rural walk we do every day.We cover about ten acres of woodland and moorland and noone else accesses it.
I usually pick the poo up but in this case the poo was melting through the snow and I left it. He has now rolled in his own poo in that exact place and had to be washed twice. This involves a huge retriever being manhandled into a shower, wet shitty dog smell all through the house, wet dog marks on the hall paintwork.
I've learnt my lesson.

Why didn't you pick it up when you went back?
My dog did a poo late at night and I could not find it at all (even with a torch). Went back the next day and picked it up (early in the morning). It was frozen solid so a dream to pick up 🤣

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.