Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To not pick up dog poo...

757 replies

Moonfishstar · 13/02/2024 05:54

... when in a quiet forest, but to flick it with a stick into dense undergrowth instead?

I don't see any issue with this, but I've got a feeling lots will disagree with me, so I wanted to get some other opinions.

OP posts:
tandt5 · 13/02/2024 07:59

I just hope OP picks up a shitty end of the stick left by other poo flickers.
Can't stand irresponsible dog owners.

oOmoonhaOo · 13/02/2024 08:01

Moonfishstar · 13/02/2024 07:57

I genuinely think some people have no idea how sparsely populated some parts of the UK are. I didn't before I live where I do now. I can literally walk for miles and not see a soul.

Absolutely!… If you can read a paper map then it is possible to go for a full days walk in many parts of England and be completely isolated/not see a soul.

Shock horror, but my dog can stay off the lead for the whole day!!

oOmoonhaOo · 13/02/2024 08:04

cryinglaughing · 13/02/2024 07:39

The problem with this is people think if they are rural, not necessarily in a forest, they can flick.

I live very rurally, there is a footpath that comes down the (private) lane to the house and then diverts round the property into a field.
Dog walkers just leave their shit because we are rural, or flick it to the base of the stone walls.

If the default was to pick up all shit, I would like to think this wouldn't happen.
In reality it probably would because people are lazy and don't want to carry a bag shit with them for a couple of miles 😡

You’d just end up with bags hanging in trees and sitting on the walls.

oOmoonhaOo · 13/02/2024 08:05

tandt5 · 13/02/2024 07:59

I just hope OP picks up a shitty end of the stick left by other poo flickers.
Can't stand irresponsible dog owners.

The fact that you think that would happen shows that you live in a built up area

Luckycloverz · 13/02/2024 08:06

Just pick it up.

Cheesewiz · 13/02/2024 08:07

What was the point in this thread? You have already made you mind up that what your doing is OK

whengodwasarabbit1 · 13/02/2024 08:08

Putting dog mess into a non biodegradable bag so it becomes someone else's problem is vile. I always pick up in busy areas but
in this case I think stick and flick is much more responsible.

Strawberrypicnic · 13/02/2024 08:08

No I would always pick it up. There are bacteria in dog poo that are detrimental to the health of the soil and wildlife.

oOmoonhaOo · 13/02/2024 08:08

backinthebox · 13/02/2024 07:44

Also, to plastic-refuseniks- buy biodegradable bags. They are out there! Easily purchased. Not wanting to use plastic is a poor excuse.

Where do you dispose
of your environmentally friendly poo bag?

MrsMiddleMother · 13/02/2024 08:10

Just pick it up!

SabrinaThwaite · 13/02/2024 08:10

oOmoonhaOo · 13/02/2024 07:55

I don’t bother picking shit up if we’re out in the sticks. Which is most of the time. Mountains, forests, moorland.

We live in the Lake District, which can get super busy so obviously if we go on a popular walk like Skelwith then we will pick it up. But if we’re on Blawith and it’s off the path then we won’t bother.

I think it’s weird that we preserve poo for hundreds of years in a bag when it can often degrade in a day or 2 in UK weather…. obviously depending on the weather.

I bet livestock farmers love you.

https://www.outdooraccess-scotland.scot/sites/default/files/2018-09/Risk%20of%20the%20spread%20of%20disease%20in%20livestock%20from%20dog%20faeces%20-%20Briefing%20note%20for%20Access%20Authorities.pdf

https://www.outdooraccess-scotland.scot/sites/default/files/2018-09/Risk%20of%20the%20spread%20of%20disease%20in%20livestock%20from%20dog%20faeces%20-%20Briefing%20note%20for%20Access%20Authorities.pdf

Stifledlife · 13/02/2024 08:16

My dog poo bags are made of cornstarch and degrade fully in days, but if in the woods I stick and flick.. actually I stick, flick and cover with leaves. Left to it's own devices, it's gone in less than a week. The alternative in the depths of the woods seems to be "Poo trees" or bedraggled plastic bags full of poo that will remain intact until the next millenium.

Toooldforthis36 · 13/02/2024 08:18

our local forestry commission place does not have poo bins. Most irritating are the bags of shit left dangling from bushes (who does that??).

I always stick and flick into the undergrowth where it will decompose and it’s off any path.

BTW if you are objecting to your undergrowth-crawling kids stepping on it then have a word with the foxes and badgers so your little darling not inconvenienced when rooting around in their habitat.

Veronicaisaflower · 13/02/2024 08:19

Kids run there in their trainers - you are disgusting!! Lazy and entitled behaviour. I hope you step in dog poo.

Ritasueandbobtoo9 · 13/02/2024 08:20

I posted a link clearly stating that flicking dog poo is not okay but highly harmful to the environment yet posters are still saying it is okay. It is not okay, it is an environmental disaster. But carry on because your pet is more important than wild animals and fish in rivers and the countryside eco system.

Letsbekindplease · 13/02/2024 08:21

I wouldn’t personally. Nothing worse when you go a nice walk with boots on and stand on dog poo. That ain’t moving easily from the sole of the boot. Also have been in a situation where I picked a stick up covered in poo. Didn’t have baby wipes. Ruined my walk lol.

surreygirl1987 · 13/02/2024 08:22

I'm guessing there are quite a lot of city dwellers posting with their experience of small densely-used suburban woods... I'm talking about a large Forestry England forest that's about the size of a city!

How patronising are you! FYI I also live in a forestry area... and I think what you're suggesting is utterly disgusting.

BusyMummy001 · 13/02/2024 08:25

Moonfishstar · 13/02/2024 05:54

... when in a quiet forest, but to flick it with a stick into dense undergrowth instead?

I don't see any issue with this, but I've got a feeling lots will disagree with me, so I wanted to get some other opinions.

Guidance is to remove it from pathways and to bag it/flick it if your dog goes there. You do realise that deer, horses, foxes, badgers, bunnies etc are all pooping freely and with abandon in those spaces?

Strangely I’ve never seen a post moaning that horse riders haven’t stopped to shovel up and remove it, even though I’ve often had to take manure covered dogs home to hose down on my drive. The fox poo and deposits from neighbourhood cats in my garden (and on my flipping patio) drives me nuts, but is a fact of life.

Purplecatshopaholic · 13/02/2024 08:25

I always pick it up. I have friends who flick it under the undergrowth but I feel too guilty, lol.

pickledandpuzzled · 13/02/2024 08:26

Stifledlife · 13/02/2024 08:16

My dog poo bags are made of cornstarch and degrade fully in days, but if in the woods I stick and flick.. actually I stick, flick and cover with leaves. Left to it's own devices, it's gone in less than a week. The alternative in the depths of the woods seems to be "Poo trees" or bedraggled plastic bags full of poo that will remain intact until the next millenium.

Have you actually seen them break down? Mine don’t so I stopped using them. They hang around in a compost bin for ages.

Plastic bags aren’t an issue in my urban area as the content of public bins is incinerated and the plastic helps that process. They used to have dedicated poo bins but relabelled them all as general waste so they get a better burn.

bottomsup12 · 13/02/2024 08:26

Yes I'm afraid, children like to play with leaves and things in the park so hiding dog shit under it is very bad form

WingsofRain · 13/02/2024 08:27

As long as you are happy to come and sit in my shower with my poo plastered dog when I have to wash her after every forest walk, go ahead!

Otherwise, pick up your dog’s poo and don’t inflict it on others. People actually live and walk in forests and we don’t need every single one of the hundreds of people who visit leaving poo. It mounts up.

I pick up every single poo my dog does, however long the grass or how wooded the terrain because it’s basic consideration for others and the environment.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

Marchitectmummy · 13/02/2024 08:28

To all the people who happily flick your dogs muck, do you leave the muck in your gardens to decompose and 'help the environment'?

Futb0l · 13/02/2024 08:30

People who do this tell themselves its far enough off the paths to be no nuisance to others and it never fucking is. The stretches 3 or 4 metres off the path are fucking full of dog shit, it stinks and brings masses of flies. Its too much for the local ecosystem.

My kids love to head straight into those dense patches looking for blackberries.

The forest commission suggest it as a "less bad" option than it being left on paths/in the open/hanging in bags off tree.

The best option? Pick it up and take the damn crap with you or don't have a dog.

BusyMummy001 · 13/02/2024 08:31

Marchitectmummy · 13/02/2024 08:28

To all the people who happily flick your dogs muck, do you leave the muck in your gardens to decompose and 'help the environment'?

Most of my friends have a hole in the garden where they do precisely that… allow it to compost down. Of course, they also have to contend with the poop from foxes, neighbours cats and other wildlife … the ‘outdoors’ is not a hermetically sealed hygienic space 🤦🏽‍♀️

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.