Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To not pick up dog poo...

757 replies

Moonfishstar · 13/02/2024 05:54

... when in a quiet forest, but to flick it with a stick into dense undergrowth instead?

I don't see any issue with this, but I've got a feeling lots will disagree with me, so I wanted to get some other opinions.

OP posts:
Beautiful3 · 13/02/2024 08:31

In the woods, I pick it up if on a path, but not if it's off paths. It's always gone by the next day. I actually think the foxes eat it.

Ritasueandbobtoo9 · 13/02/2024 08:31

posted a link clearly stating that flicking dog poo is not okay but highly harmful to the environment yet posters are still saying it is okay. It is not okay, it is an environmental disaster. But carry on because your pet is more important than wild animals and fish in rivers and the countryside eco system.

Futb0l · 13/02/2024 08:33

Strangely I’ve never seen a post moaning that horse riders haven’t stopped to shovel up and remove it, even though I’ve often had to take manure covered dogs home to hose down on my drive

1. there are far far fewer horses

2. horses are herbivores. Their poo is far, far less toxic than dog poo. Its a genuinely useful fertilizer which people actually purchase - dog shit is not.
Ritasueandbobtoo9 · 13/02/2024 08:34
  • Dog poop contains harmful bacteria and parasites that can cause all sorts of problems in humans, from salmonella to E-coli and toxocariasis to campylobacter. These can give you anything from a dodgy tummy right through to blindness! It’s really not a good idea to leave this stuff lying around.

• Finally, dog poo raises the nutrient content of soil. Sounds good, right? Wrong. Habitats are very specific. If you walk your dog across heathland or dunes, for example, the soil here is very nutrient-poor. This makes it perfect for the types of plants you will commonly see on it like heather and bracken. Flicking poop to the edges of a path raises the nutrient content and makes it more appealing to invasive species such as broom and brushwood. Next time you’re walking on a heath look for it – there will likely be different plants around the paths to those in the centre. This is directly because of dog poop. This might not sound much of a problem, until you think about all the species that need heather and bracken to survive. If the heathlands are taken over by new species, the habitats for the very specific, and often rare, reptiles, birds and insects will disappear.
Marchitectmummy · 13/02/2024 08:34

BusyMummy001 · 13/02/2024 08:25

Guidance is to remove it from pathways and to bag it/flick it if your dog goes there. You do realise that deer, horses, foxes, badgers, bunnies etc are all pooping freely and with abandon in those spaces?

Strangely I’ve never seen a post moaning that horse riders haven’t stopped to shovel up and remove it, even though I’ve often had to take manure covered dogs home to hose down on my drive. The fox poo and deposits from neighbourhood cats in my garden (and on my flipping patio) drives me nuts, but is a fact of life.

None of those animals muck can blind a child, unlike dogs muck. This is one of the many issues.

www.ardsandnorthdown.gov.uk/resident/pets-pests-and-pollution/dog-control/toxocariasis

Marblessolveeverything · 13/02/2024 08:35

Yabu, why on earth do you think your dog poo is special? Pick it up and dispose of it properly. I don't care where you are but if it is not your your land then we don't want to have to share it with your dog poo. How on earth are people so selfish and ignorant.

Brackenfield · 13/02/2024 08:35

It depends. Rubbish monoculture coniferous forest? Probably fine.

Ancient woodland with diverse understorey habitat? Not fine.

Dog poo causes nutrients enrichment which over time destroys naturally diverse habitats. Just pick it up.

Weightwatcher2 · 13/02/2024 08:35

Just pick it up. I don’t want my kids wading or even rolling through it on their particularly wild days.

noonesproblem · 13/02/2024 08:36

Toooldforthis36 · 13/02/2024 08:18

our local forestry commission place does not have poo bins. Most irritating are the bags of shit left dangling from bushes (who does that??).

I always stick and flick into the undergrowth where it will decompose and it’s off any path.

BTW if you are objecting to your undergrowth-crawling kids stepping on it then have a word with the foxes and badgers so your little darling not inconvenienced when rooting around in their habitat.

Don’t be ridiculous. Wild animals are not there in the concentration that domestic dogs are. I’ve never seen fox or badger shit, let alone step in it. Dog shit is visibly around you every time you go out.

It’s your darling dog you need to pick up after. Your dog, your choice, your shit.

Toooldforthis36 · 13/02/2024 08:38

noonesproblem · 13/02/2024 08:36

Don’t be ridiculous. Wild animals are not there in the concentration that domestic dogs are. I’ve never seen fox or badger shit, let alone step in it. Dog shit is visibly around you every time you go out.

It’s your darling dog you need to pick up after. Your dog, your choice, your shit.

Wrong. Then you don’t live rurally. My dogs regularly find and roll in badger and fox shit. I kick my dogs mess well of the pathways as do most rural dog walkers. I’m not talking your local park here, and nor is @Moonfishstar by the sounds of it.

TheFairyCaravan · 13/02/2024 08:40

Just pick it up and take it home. I wish people would stop leaving it hanging on bushes and trees too.

DS2 has a new baby. 4 out of 5 times he’s taken him out for a walk in the pram in the country park they live near, he’s come home with the pram wheels covered in dog poo. It’s bloody disgusting.

nonmerci99 · 13/02/2024 08:45

YABVVU.

sexyandsmart · 13/02/2024 08:46

@SabrinaThwaite and yet.....

Futb0l · 13/02/2024 08:46

Oh and if there's no bin, thats not a signal that the landowner is ok with you flicking.

Its actually the opposite - its that they do not want to deal with your dog shit in any form and you need to bag it and take it home with you for disposal.

If its "gone in a week" create an area in your own garden to deposit and decompose it.

jasflowers · 13/02/2024 08:47

Toooldforthis36 · 13/02/2024 08:18

our local forestry commission place does not have poo bins. Most irritating are the bags of shit left dangling from bushes (who does that??).

I always stick and flick into the undergrowth where it will decompose and it’s off any path.

BTW if you are objecting to your undergrowth-crawling kids stepping on it then have a word with the foxes and badgers so your little darling not inconvenienced when rooting around in their habitat.

Have you seen how small badger or fox shit is? plus it tends to be deposited far away from paths etc they also don't eat too much processed food/meats.

People work in woodland, they don't want to be walking in your dogs shit.

If you can flick it off a path, put it in a bio bag and take it home, people don't because they are lazy, like you are.

Lovemusic82 · 13/02/2024 08:47

I agree with you OP. I see so many bags of sh#t hanging in trees or dumped at the side of a path (supposedly to pick up on the way back but it doesn’t happen), these plastic bags are far worse for the environment and to animals than flicking the poo into undergrowth. Obviously if your in a busy area full of dog walkers and the public then you pick it up but if in a quiet woodland and you can flick it into undergrowth then I think that’s fine.

sexyandsmart · 13/02/2024 08:49

@YouWillGoOnMyFirstWhistle
Btw, I always pick up dog poo when I'm not deep in a deserted forest.
Lol yeah they all say that. And yet the pavements and grassy areas in many towns and cities are riddled with it.

So you think no one^^ picks up their dog poop? I can assure you many of us do.

Marchitectmummy · 13/02/2024 08:49

BusyMummy001 · 13/02/2024 08:31

Most of my friends have a hole in the garden where they do precisely that… allow it to compost down. Of course, they also have to contend with the poop from foxes, neighbours cats and other wildlife … the ‘outdoors’ is not a hermetically sealed hygienic space 🤦🏽‍♀️

Edited

Maybe thats the solution then dig a hole when you are out with your dog and cover it up - then dog owners are showing others the same respect to nature as they do their own garden.

Muck is one thing, dogs muck is quite another, the other mucks you are talking about are not as toxic to small children.

Peaceandquietandacuppa · 13/02/2024 08:51

Ducksinthebath · 13/02/2024 06:43

OP: AIBU?
Just about everyone: YABU
OP: No I’m not!

This was all a bit of a pointless exercise wasn’t it?

Yep 🤣

suki1964 · 13/02/2024 08:52

Dog poo forms a lot of foxes diet which is why forestry say flick

Its easy food for foxes

TinyTear · 13/02/2024 08:52

If you have a dog you deal with the poo

That is why I won't ever have a pet, i do not want to deal with poo thank you very much

Peaceandquietandacuppa · 13/02/2024 08:53

Brackenfield · 13/02/2024 08:35

It depends. Rubbish monoculture coniferous forest? Probably fine.

Ancient woodland with diverse understorey habitat? Not fine.

Dog poo causes nutrients enrichment which over time destroys naturally diverse habitats. Just pick it up.

This

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

noonesproblem · 13/02/2024 08:53

At the end of the day it’s the ‘leave no trace’ policy we should all aim for.

Dogs are not wild animals ( despite posters trying to make false equivalence with badgers, foxes etc). They are not part of the natural environments they are in. Numerous posters have referred or linked to the environmental impact of waste from a non-native species.

Leave no trace is a simple rule to follow and is based on sound reasoning and evidence.

Stick and flick is not.

MassiveOvaryaction · 13/02/2024 08:54

I would rather you stick and flick than pick it up in a plastic bag and hang it from the nearest tree. I have never understood why people do that 🤢

Disturbia81 · 13/02/2024 08:57

MassiveOvaryaction · 13/02/2024 08:54

I would rather you stick and flick than pick it up in a plastic bag and hang it from the nearest tree. I have never understood why people do that 🤢

Because so many people are gross. Once I realised this I'm just not shocked anymore.

Just pick it up! Even under hedges it'll smell and wild animals will get it on them etc

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.