Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To not pick up dog poo...

757 replies

Moonfishstar · 13/02/2024 05:54

... when in a quiet forest, but to flick it with a stick into dense undergrowth instead?

I don't see any issue with this, but I've got a feeling lots will disagree with me, so I wanted to get some other opinions.

OP posts:
maddening · 13/02/2024 07:09

Bigtom · 13/02/2024 06:06

All good until you go for a walk with kids who like scrambling through the undergrowth …

This

pickledandpuzzled · 13/02/2024 07:09

Mine prefers to go somewhere inaccessible- I’ve nearly had my eye out in the past, trying to reach it. Now if it’s not reachable it stays there.

Mind, as a raw fed dog it degrades really fast, and doesn’t stink like processed diet dog poo stinks. I recommend it! Fox poo by contrast… I don’t know why.

I also pick up other people’s, if it’s on a path, in recompense.

newusernamejacket · 13/02/2024 07:09

I've read that the germs in domesticated animal poo is bad to be introduced into an environment with wild animals, and also bad when it gets into ground water in a wild environment.

Laurama91 · 13/02/2024 07:10

In our village there's a lane that gets called dog shit Lane because people walk their dogs. Decide because it's a grass lane that they don't need to pick it up. Its awful

Astrak · 13/02/2024 07:10

In my opinion, people like the OP give dog owners a bad name. I do a weekly litter removal sweep on our large boat yard. There are litter bins at both ends. Frequently, there are full dog faeces bags dropped just in front of these bins. If (arthritis-riddled) me can pick up these little bags I'm at a loss to understand why other people can't.

FilledWithRageAlways · 13/02/2024 07:11

This reply has been deleted

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Pheeeeebs · 13/02/2024 07:12

Most entitled person of the month goes to you.
Pick up after dog and stop being so bloody lazy.
So you don’t want to touch your own mutts shit but other people should put up with it.

GreyWednesday · 13/02/2024 07:12

MissedItByThisMuch · 13/02/2024 06:54

Do people genuinely believe that encasing faeces, a natural biodegradable material, in millions of plastic bags, basically for ever (even so-called biodegradable plastics take forever to do so) is better for the environment?? Better for them perhaps, but hardly better for the planet.

I was thinking this. I appreciate nobody wants to step in dog poo, but from an environmental point of view I’d be interested to know what’s better. I bag, but I have seen the stick and flick signs and thought that seems sensible if your dog is healthy and up to date with worming.

Our local forestry England forest has very obvious walking/cycling routes and you don’t tend to see walkers venturing off those, so I would have assumed that a dog poo several metres away from the track would have been safe from being trodden on.

I don’t tend to venture too far off the track now after I nearly trod on a very large, semi decomposed owl while I was ‘exploring’…

BogRollBOGOF · 13/02/2024 07:15

LaLoba · 13/02/2024 07:05

They don’t tend to do that close to places frequented by humans, so there isn’t the build up that happens when lots of dogs get out of the car and poo in the first mile.
Also, it’s their natural habitat and we have control over the dog situation.

There's woodland I go to that's pretty large and away from large towns, but the first half-mile from the car park is a rank dogshit alley. Deeper in and there's no particular issues and stick and flick is more viable.
On that first section, bag and bin is the more appropriate method.

There are other places nearer to home where I go running that have shit hotspots to dodge around. Again first half mile from the carpark/ entry point.

(I solve the issue from a personal angle by not having a dog)

NotObligedToArgueWithStrangers · 13/02/2024 07:16

Just pick it up, stop making excuses for laziness.

Kalevala · 13/02/2024 07:18

The fact that Forestry England are fine with this indicates it's not the big deal some are making it out to be.

It's better than leaving it on the path or hanging it in a tree. Unless you are genuinely caught out as you forgot the poo bags or didn't bring enough (should be a rare occurrence), then bag it and take it home.

Katemax82 · 13/02/2024 07:19

That's disgusting! Pick it up!! Someone will tread in it no matter how dense the undergrowth you flick it in

newusernamejacket · 13/02/2024 07:19

If you're very concerned about the bags you can buy biodegradable bags. I found some made from corn starch.

Rumpoleoftheballet · 13/02/2024 07:20

Why did you ask OP? Seems like you were always intending to stick and flick it anyway.

aperolspritzbasicbitch · 13/02/2024 07:20

What's the benefit of the stick and flick, other than their being no cost to the relevant department of providing bins and having them emptied?

I would 100% rather reach in to my pocket and get a poo bag to bag it, then search for a suitable stick and then basically play a gross game of hockey.

And then what of the stick? Someone else could pick it up to use, shit end first. Plus, we all know kids love a stick collection on a walk.

SabrinaThwaite · 13/02/2024 07:22

Kalevala · 13/02/2024 07:18

The fact that Forestry England are fine with this indicates it's not the big deal some are making it out to be.

It's better than leaving it on the path or hanging it in a tree. Unless you are genuinely caught out as you forgot the poo bags or didn't bring enough (should be a rare occurrence), then bag it and take it home.

Forestry England aren’t OK with it.

To not pick up dog poo...
suggestionsplease1 · 13/02/2024 07:24

A bit of common sense and this can be appropriate.

I sometimes walk in areas where you don't see a single soul for hours, if my dog goes off into the undergrowth there I will follow him in and rake over the ground with my boot and stamp it in and drag leaf litter over it. So even if by some bizarre chance someone happens to be in the same area they are not going to stand in shit.

Of course I wouldn't do that in a more public area, where I often pick up others dogs mess in addition to my own dogs.

But yeah, from an environmental perspective millions of dog poos in bags is clearly not great.

TheCadoganArms · 13/02/2024 07:26

This reply has been deleted

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Well that escalated quickly.

Marchitectmummy · 13/02/2024 07:28

Of course it's wrong, that deserted forest is there to be enjoyed by all. That includes families with exploring children. We managed to end up with dogs muck on 3 out of 5 of our girls from what I suspect is flicked poo, one of them had it on their hands after picking up a branch they wanted to walk with.

Can you imagine how repulsive that actually was? We had to abandon the walk and ealk 30 mins back to our car taking it in turns holding onto our daughters wrist to stop her rubbing it pm her face, while the other had to stop the others from crying.

So yes you are unreasonable, if you are in England there is absolutely no such thing as an abandoned forest.

Universalsnail · 13/02/2024 07:29

You should pick it up.. Kids play in forests and the amount of poo we've had on kids shoes or clothes because somebody hasn't picked up their poo and just flicked it off the path is disgusting. Just pick up your dog poo it's not hard.

liveforsummer · 13/02/2024 07:30

HaPPy8 · 13/02/2024 05:58

The forestry commission support this apparently!

Probably because it's better than all the people bagging it and then leaving the bag on the path or hanging on a tree. Not because it's better than picking it up and taking it home. Not great for certain wildlife or adventurous kids

happypillsareworking · 13/02/2024 07:31

Moonfishstar · 13/02/2024 06:39

I walk my dog in the local woods and it's covered in dog shit because of lazy, selfish, twats. Even my bloody dog stood in it at the weekend. 🤢

You wouldn't see the dog poo in my forest unless you went searching. I flick it under dense brambles or the like, so no kid, or even dog, is going to traipse through it.

I'm guessing there are quite a lot of city dwellers posting with their experience of small densely-used suburban woods... I'm talking about a large Forestry England forest that's about the size of a city!

I agree my dog will poo and it drops into the brambles. I am not collecting poo which will rip my arms to shreds!! I think some people who are moaning may not walk in the places you and I seem to walk!!

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

Sonora25 · 13/02/2024 07:32

Snowpaw · 13/02/2024 07:09

I found it so stressful walking through woods near me when my DD was a toddler. She’d run everywhere, didn’t stay on the path and almost every trip ended with me scraping dog shit off shoes at home. Absolutely vile.

Same here. It’s the same at my local park. I hate it. Constantly being on the watch out. So fed up with these lazy dog owners.

happypillsareworking · 13/02/2024 07:32

Willmafrockfit · 13/02/2024 06:42

You wouldn't see the dog poo in my forest unless you went searching. I flick it under dense brambles or the like, so no kid, or even dog, is going to traipse through it.

you absolutely cannot guarantee this! plus you cannot be sure your dog is going to poo near dense brambles.
just pick it up and bring it home

Well of course you can't be sure but when I see my dog has had a poo and I can pick it up I do 🙄

rwalker · 13/02/2024 07:33

The problem is people have different interpretations of flick it to the side
I get your point if your on about very dense brambles

but as others said dogs and kids go scrambling through bushes and undergrowth

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.