My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To ask the worst thing you've ever eaten? (lighthearted)

308 replies

BobbyBiscuits · 30/01/2024 19:29

Again with the food threads...as much as I love hearing what people like, I also love hearing what people hate!

So, what is the one (or a few) foods you tried and thought were vile and would never try again?

The main one that springs to my mind is whelks. wtf even are they meant to be? Its just impenetrable rubber with no taste...lol.

So, share your revulsions or argue the cause for something unlovable?
C'mon you know you want to! : )

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

42 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
14%
You are NOT being unreasonable
86%
Hummusandstuff · 30/01/2024 20:54

Something on the buffet in an all inclusive in Dominican Republic. It was yellow and creamy and lumpy with chewy bits . I think it was the shock of it not being scrambled egg! (I really hope it wasn’t)

allfurcoatnoknickers · 30/01/2024 20:54

Broccoli. I can't eat anything with Broccoli in it. I just find it revolting beyond words. By far the most disgusting thing I've ever eaten.

Meowandthen · 30/01/2024 21:00

Hummusandstuff · 30/01/2024 20:54

Something on the buffet in an all inclusive in Dominican Republic. It was yellow and creamy and lumpy with chewy bits . I think it was the shock of it not being scrambled egg! (I really hope it wasn’t)

Was it ackee and salt fish? Popular in parts of the Caribbean (Jamaica especially) and looks a bit like overcooked scrambled eggs.

To ask the worst thing you've ever eaten? (lighthearted)
Grazyna80 · 30/01/2024 21:02

Picked herring . Bleh . Anything wet , cold and fishy.

Ferraria · 30/01/2024 21:03

@Meowandthen sadly not as nice as gazpacho which I've had and loved in summer sunshine. This was in a huge conference hall with hundreds of people in winter. It was horrible.

Grazyna80 · 30/01/2024 21:03

Pickled !! Sorry

AdaColeman · 30/01/2024 21:04

Lambs brains vinaigrette.

A weird flavourless blancmange my MIL often used to make. It would sit on its serving dish quivering slightly, as though it was Quatermass about to erupt in an ectoplasm explosion. Actually, MIL made some strange concoctions, I think the character Letitia Cropley in The Vicar of Dibley was based on MIL!

I would have liked the Spanish gazpacho, and I love whelks, snails, winkles etc.

blackpanth · 30/01/2024 21:05

Courgette. Prunes and aubergine

mitogoshi · 30/01/2024 21:05

Those revolting French sausages that stink, can't remember the name, made of offal. Well don't like offal

pd339 · 30/01/2024 21:06

I went solo travelling in Syria 20 years ago. Went to a restaurant in Damascus with no English on the menu so pointed at something randomly to see what I would get. It was a cold, whole brain served on a bed of lettuce. Still makes me shudder

mitogoshi · 30/01/2024 21:06

I eat most things though, including raw shellfish

aSpanielintheworks · 30/01/2024 21:08

A banana

coffeetofunction · 30/01/2024 21:09

Trip
Clotted cream

rainydaysandwednesdays · 30/01/2024 21:10

Manchego cheese 🤢

Disturbia81 · 30/01/2024 21:11

Avocado

museumum · 30/01/2024 21:14

Tripe. I always thought people were just prejudiced because of what it is and I eat haggis and other offal happily.
but no. Tripe is genuinely awful. In every way.

JaneIves · 30/01/2024 21:15

My husband had fried bowel and gizzards (of what remains a mystery) in Vietnam once. It was like ribbony shit. 🤢

KohlaParasaurus · 30/01/2024 21:21

Roast ox heart. One of my schoolfriends always raved about how much he loved it. I remained curious, and when I was at university I tried cooking it myself. I suppose I'd expected it to have the taste and texture of steak rather than offal. I'm sure the flat stank of it for weeks.

UnctuousUnicorns · 30/01/2024 21:26

At primary school in the 70s, the bitch of a dinner lady tried to force me to eat the disgusting custard with thick skin on it. 🤮 At least, she did until my mum came into the school to complain.

I don't eat anything disgusting. One taste (or even just look), and if it's foul, I simply don't eat it. I don't care who that offends. Nobody should be forced to eat something they hate, as an adult I'm certainly not going to.

Incidentally, I'm vegetarian now, but before that I loved most offal apart from tripe, as well as most seafood I tried, as long as it was cooked. Whelks are a bit tough, chewy and tasteless, though.

UnctuousUnicorns · 30/01/2024 21:27

JaneIves · 30/01/2024 21:15

My husband had fried bowel and gizzards (of what remains a mystery) in Vietnam once. It was like ribbony shit. 🤢

That's because that's precisely what it was! 🤮 😅

Greenpolkadot · 30/01/2024 21:28

Cod
And the Mojito chocolate from Hotel Chocolat.....vile

NisekoWhistler · 30/01/2024 21:32

Turtle in Japan, I think it was perhaps because I was in the early stages of pregnancy but I just could not handle it. Probably wasn't foul but the whole idea of eating it was messing with my head.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

DrSpartacular · 30/01/2024 21:33

Hershey's "chocolate" 🤮

Celery

wendywoopywoo222 · 30/01/2024 21:34

effoffwind · 30/01/2024 20:32

Scan bran from Slimming World

Oh god weren't they awful. And people used to use weetabix with them to make some kind of cake thing.

BudgetFoodie · 30/01/2024 21:34

My ex mother in law served up traditional Welsh cawl ( lamb and root veg stew / soup). I love it and every family has their own version.
I looked at it and it was different to what I was used to, I thought it had macaroni in it.......I tucked in enthusiastically and to my horror I realised it wasn't macaroni but the fatty tubes and innards from the neck of lamb.
It was the first time we had met and I was keen to make a good impression, I don't know how I didn't vomit all over the table!!!
She was lovely and the cawl was delicious apart from the "macaroni ".

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.