My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To ask the worst thing you've ever eaten? (lighthearted)

308 replies

BobbyBiscuits · 30/01/2024 19:29

Again with the food threads...as much as I love hearing what people like, I also love hearing what people hate!

So, what is the one (or a few) foods you tried and thought were vile and would never try again?

The main one that springs to my mind is whelks. wtf even are they meant to be? Its just impenetrable rubber with no taste...lol.

So, share your revulsions or argue the cause for something unlovable?
C'mon you know you want to! : )

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

42 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
14%
You are NOT being unreasonable
86%
Nanaof1 · 03/02/2024 17:39

LauderSyme · 02/02/2024 14:03

So, if you cool cooked rice down relatively quickly, keep it cool and when you want it, reheat it quickly to piping hot, it should be perfectly safe to eat.

Thank you for the explanation! Now I understand it! 👏💯

Nanaof1 · 03/02/2024 19:09

@DrSpartacular Thank you for the information. You and @LauderSyme helped me a lot. In fact, there is now a sign on the fridge door to immediately refrigerate cooked rice and reheat thoroughly. I had never heard of that before and I doubt I always took the right precautions.

CloseYourMouthLynn · 03/02/2024 19:49

I really hate mashed potato. I was made to eat it cold as a kid and never got over it, the texture makes me gag. I know most people like it though. My heart sinks if I go round someone's house and they serve it. I politely just move it around while trying not to heave.

doilooklikeicare · 03/02/2024 20:16

I really hate mashed potato. I was made to eat it cold as a kid and never got over it, the texture makes me gag. I know most people like it though. My heart sinks if I go round someone's house and they serve it. I politely just move it around while trying not to heave.

I hear you totally!

I'm really not fussy, but if mash potato touches another item on my plate, maybe a sausage for example. I cannot eat that item either.

Yes I know it's mad, but being forced to eat it as a child has warped my sense of reasonableness!

Biffbaff · 03/02/2024 20:38

Camel sausages. Was on a student camping group tour of the Australian outback.

Absolutely disgusting.

UnctuousUnicorns · 03/02/2024 21:30

Wibblebits · 02/02/2024 14:15

Whitebait is disgusting.

Ooh, whitebait fried in batter so it's all crispy, with lemon quarters to squeeze over, is one of the things I miss as a vegetarian!

UnctuousUnicorns · 03/02/2024 21:33

😢 Freshly mashed potato, with plenty of butter and salt and pepper, served piping hot, really is food of the Gods!

CloseYourMouthLynn · 03/02/2024 21:34

doilooklikeicare · 03/02/2024 20:16

I hear you totally!

I'm really not fussy, but if mash potato touches another item on my plate, maybe a sausage for example. I cannot eat that item either.

Yes I know it's mad, but being forced to eat it as a child has warped my sense of reasonableness!

Really glad it's not just me!

BobbyBiscuits · 03/02/2024 22:00

Haha, mashed potato is OK but Smash is the spawn of satan!!! That and Angel delight were the foods from hell of the 80s!

Whitebait I can give or take, it feels like there's not much meat on it, though I don't really mind fried sardines like the ones in Spain.

And Camel sausage...crikey that sounds abysmal. How was it even cooked? Haha!

OP posts:
doilooklikeicare · 03/02/2024 22:09

BobbyBiscuits · 03/02/2024 22:00

Haha, mashed potato is OK but Smash is the spawn of satan!!! That and Angel delight were the foods from hell of the 80s!

Whitebait I can give or take, it feels like there's not much meat on it, though I don't really mind fried sardines like the ones in Spain.

And Camel sausage...crikey that sounds abysmal. How was it even cooked? Haha!

Not sure what you meant to put, but it's autocorrected to angel delight...... you can't possibly be did by the butterscotch angel delight!

BobbyBiscuits · 03/02/2024 22:19

@doilooklikeicare Saawwyyy...haha. Tho think the strawberry one is probably the worst. I literally made myself vomit from eating a whole packet of that stuff way too many times aged 6!

OP posts:
Caswallonthefox · 03/02/2024 23:49

Butterscotch or mint chocolate angel delight were what we had in our house.
I think I want to forget that I grew up in the 70's. Everything came out of a box or was cooked from frozen.
Oven chips should never have been invented

catswithbowties · 03/02/2024 23:56

Sea cucumbers. Was served as part of a fancy seafood-focused set menu designed specially for my OH and I as guests of honour. I built up the courage to take a small bite and had to try really, really hard not to gag or spit it out. It's supposed to be an expensive delicacy but you'd have to force feed me like foie gras to get me to eat it again. It's supposed to absorb the flavour of whatever it's cooked in and the point of eating them is for the texture but honestly there is a taste that I can't describe other than how I imagine the bottom of an old shoe that's been chucked in the sea.

The fatty pointy bum bit of a duck. My family had ordered a whole Peking roast duck, already chopped up. Happily munching away on the now unrecognisable parts. Bit down on the bum and almost threw up everything I'd previously eaten. It tastes like stinky duck arse, funnily enough. My OH likes this fatty bum bit of the chicken so thought it'd be the same on a duck... I did not warn him.

Caerulea · 03/02/2024 23:59

Ashamed to say, but, shark fin soup 😢

It was a banquet for a Chinese wedding, not the kind of thing you can refuse.

Jellyfish was on the same menu, equally as repellent.

Then it's oysters. Fuck oysters.

ThinWomansBrain · 04/02/2024 00:06

Mushy Peas. Cold mushy peas.

I was arrested on a march - & eventually given supper.
I thought it was odd to serve guacamole with cold mashed potato, but there didn't seem to be menu options, other than as I'd said I was vegetarian they'd not added the - presumably - meat that was supposed to be with it.
It wasn't guacamole.

Fortunately I was released shortly after that.

HearMeSnore · 04/02/2024 01:00

Ok I'm cheating because I've never actually eaten it but I'm voting for Kimchi.

Because DH has developed a taste for it and has a massive Costco tub of it in the fridge. Every time I open the door I get a whiff of it and think there must be sprouts rotting in the back of the veg drawer.

He had some for lunch today while I was out, and when I got back the whole house stank like Satan's sweat socks. I can still smell it now, and I'm upstairs in bed.

EsmeT · 04/02/2024 01:04

Liver and muscles 🤮

doilooklikeicare · 04/02/2024 07:52

EsmeT · 04/02/2024 01:04

Liver and muscles 🤮

I'm hoping you mean mussel's 😆! But muscles would something else!

NoBinturongsHereMate · 04/02/2024 11:13

LauderSyme · 02/02/2024 14:03

So, if you cool cooked rice down relatively quickly, keep it cool and when you want it, reheat it quickly to piping hot, it should be perfectly safe to eat.

The spores will reactivate even in the fridge, so how long you keep it is also important. The first 24 hours after cooking is perfectly safe; after 48 hours you're in the risk zone no matter how fast and thoroughly you cooled it.

QuickDraining · 04/02/2024 12:25

Regarding reheating rice. Go find a proper scientific write up of the potential issues. I was told it was a no no. So I walked over to the Chinese takeaway over the road and asked them what the risks were. Thinking they should have some good rice knowledge. They assured me it was perfectly fine and they did it all the time. LOL!

Facetube · 04/02/2024 12:28

I did a gap year project in Peru and the very poor school we worked in put on a big party for us at the end. They gave us Guinea pig and it would have been so rude not to eat it! It wasn't nice and I had Guinea pigs as pets as a kid so I struggled a lot! It still looked very much like a Guinea pig on the plate

DinnaeFashYersel · 04/02/2024 12:31

Halloumi 🤢

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

Piggypiggyoinkoink · 04/02/2024 12:41

Octopus in a sushi bar in New Orleans. The sucker stuck to the roof of my mouth 🤮

YeahIsaidit · 04/02/2024 12:48

Jellied eel.

One time I stayed for dinner at an ex's house and his mum (we were teens) gave us this odd spaghetti thing made with chicken that had loads of tiny bones in it, the sauce was gelatinous and I just couldn't eat it. Ex's brother flushed it down the toilet as I worried about returning a plate of uneaten food and looking rude

NoBinturongsHereMate · 04/02/2024 12:56

QuickDraining · 04/02/2024 12:25

Regarding reheating rice. Go find a proper scientific write up of the potential issues. I was told it was a no no. So I walked over to the Chinese takeaway over the road and asked them what the risks were. Thinking they should have some good rice knowledge. They assured me it was perfectly fine and they did it all the time. LOL!

I learnt about it in the microbiology part of my degree.

Don't mess about with spore-forming bacteria.

(Although they are also responsible for petrichor, so not all bad.)

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.