My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To think the words gone mad or am I just boring?

127 replies

IceWhites · 27/01/2024 10:00

There’s a man who owns a jacket potato van in Tamworth town centre called Spudman. Recently gone viral on TikTok- and his jacket potatoes are now selling over a 1000/2000 a day! Obvs pleased for him making money while business lasts- but people have been queuing up for a jacket potato cheese and beans for hours every day.

Anyway, friend messaged this morning and she’s taken her nephew to his van. They left at 5am, the jacket potato van doesn’t open til 9/10- and when they got there there was already 30 people in the queue. She’s just messaged to say there’s now over 500 people in the queue? For a jacket potato?

The world I think has just gone mad. I know it’s a TikTok trend but it’s beyond belief. She said the queue is over 4 hours long now that’s longer than a ride at Alton Towers!

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

262 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
3%
You are NOT being unreasonable
97%
Rocketpants50 · 27/01/2024 10:03

That's crazy, how much is he charging.

InAnotherLifetimeMaybe · 27/01/2024 10:04

I've just seen this on tik tok

Who wants lunch at 10am though! And there's no way his van can hold enough stock for that huge queue

InAnotherLifetimeMaybe · 27/01/2024 10:05

Also....I noticed it's potato, then butter, then cheese and then the beans on top. Not seen it done that way before

I like my cheese on top usually 😝

SoDoffYourHat · 27/01/2024 10:05

I like a jacket potato but there's a limit to how good it can be.

IceWhites · 27/01/2024 10:07

I love a good jacket potato too but I don’t know if I would queue up for one for four hours. These are bog standard jackets as well around a fiver each. He uses canned toppings as well like canned chilli con carne etc. no hate on him as a man he seems lovely but just why.

I saw that people from Australia had been coming to go to his van and it just makes no sense to me.

OP posts:
InAnotherLifetimeMaybe · 27/01/2024 10:08

I saw him make chilli from scratch this morning

SevenSprings · 27/01/2024 10:08

I bloody love a jacket potato. One of the things I love best about them is how you can do them as good at home (better) than anywhere else - because they are so simple to do.

I mean, what does this man in a van do? Roll them in cocaine?

Changingplace · 27/01/2024 10:09

Also....I noticed it's potato, then butter, then cheese and then the beans on top. Not seen it done that way before

Youre missing a trick, putting the cheese under the beans melts it 😁

IceWhites · 27/01/2024 10:09

InAnotherLifetimeMaybe · 27/01/2024 10:08

I saw him make chilli from scratch this morning

He’s got videos of him tipping it out of a princes tin on his TikTok.

OP posts:
DelilahJane · 27/01/2024 10:11

You can never have enough cheese . Do Both!

salcombebabe · 27/01/2024 10:12

Today he is giving his jacket potatoes away for free, there is something available for donations which will go towards kidney research as he suffers from kidney issues. He’s been in this spot for something like 20 years and suddenly his business has gone mad on TikTok! I went across the church square last Saturday and there must have been 100 people in the queue!!!
Today will be madness but at least it brings people to our little town I suppose.

PurpleRobe · 27/01/2024 10:12

Why has it gone viral? What's so special about it?

Workwhat · 27/01/2024 10:15

I wouldn't do it but whatever, it's not harming people. I think people act like trends and crazes are a social media age thing, but there has always things like this.

I can't really hate in people looking for a bit of fun and joy tbh. I don't think it's a sign of the world going mad.

Ikeawarrior · 27/01/2024 10:19

Is it like that chippy in Wigan or wherever it was? I think it's just the novelty, isn't it?

There was an ice cream in our local area that was like this. It was all over social media and people would queue for hours for what was basically a Mr Whippy with some sauce in a takeaway tray with some haribo plonked on the top. Oh and pay £5 for the privilege. Meanwhile you could get a much nicer tub of Ben and Jerry's cheaper and easier.

Mothership4two · 27/01/2024 10:20

I'm constantly gobsmacked by people. Cannot believe that there are a significant amount of sheeples who are heavily influenced by trends and can be a bit dim at times.

There was a segment on BBC this morning with a dermatologist about how many primary school children (girls) are putting (adult) skin products on their face that are inappropriate and causing skin problems. The children see the products on TikTok (which they are too young to be watching anyway) and ask their parents for them. Some of these products are anti-aging creams! I expect they are expensive. The parents are the dim ones, not the girls!

Anyway, back to baked potato van - it is not exactly difficult to cook a baked potato, in fact it must be one of the easiest things to cook (and cheap).

saltnvini · 27/01/2024 10:21

You could have mentioned the potato in your title otherwise its just a bit clickbaity

InAnotherLifetimeMaybe · 27/01/2024 10:22

I suppose it's a bit more healthy than your Mac Donald's up the road

IceWhites · 27/01/2024 10:22

saltnvini · 27/01/2024 10:21

You could have mentioned the potato in your title otherwise its just a bit clickbaity

Why is it clickbaity? It’s a site where you can post what you want. It was mainly a discussion about certain trends and how bizarre they are.

OP posts:
Leicestershiremum · 27/01/2024 10:24

They're giving them away free today. It's been sponsored as a charity event. By bookers. They're raising money for a kidney charity I think.

RaininSummer · 27/01/2024 10:26

How weird. People are just so odd and gullible but if they count that as a fun activity i guess they are doing no harm.

storminabuttercup · 27/01/2024 10:31

It's just a bit of fun innit? Seems like a decent guy making money for a charity and getting a bit of promo for his business. I can't get wound up about people doing this stuff Confused

PhoenixReincarnated · 27/01/2024 10:32

Changingplace · 27/01/2024 10:09

Youre missing a trick, putting the cheese under the beans melts it 😁

You could always do cheese then beans then more cheese 😉😋

InAnotherLifetimeMaybe · 27/01/2024 10:34

Would that be too much cheese?

InAnotherLifetimeMaybe · 27/01/2024 10:35

Is there such a thing as too much cheese even?

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.