My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To think the words gone mad or am I just boring?

127 replies

IceWhites · 27/01/2024 10:00

There’s a man who owns a jacket potato van in Tamworth town centre called Spudman. Recently gone viral on TikTok- and his jacket potatoes are now selling over a 1000/2000 a day! Obvs pleased for him making money while business lasts- but people have been queuing up for a jacket potato cheese and beans for hours every day.

Anyway, friend messaged this morning and she’s taken her nephew to his van. They left at 5am, the jacket potato van doesn’t open til 9/10- and when they got there there was already 30 people in the queue. She’s just messaged to say there’s now over 500 people in the queue? For a jacket potato?

The world I think has just gone mad. I know it’s a TikTok trend but it’s beyond belief. She said the queue is over 4 hours long now that’s longer than a ride at Alton Towers!

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

262 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
3%
You are NOT being unreasonable
97%
BusyMummyWrites01 · 27/01/2024 11:50

The world has gone mad. I love a good jacket potato, but you can make one at home in less time than the 4 hour queue!!

Heatherbell1978 · 27/01/2024 11:52

I overheard a mum the other day saying she 'had' to buy a Stanley cup for her 7 year old that cost £75. That and everything about the Prime thing that had parents queuing at Aldi at 6am for a disgusting drink makes me think that like you, the world has gone mad or I just don't get it.

usernother · 27/01/2024 11:54

InAnotherLifetimeMaybe · 27/01/2024 10:04

I've just seen this on tik tok

Who wants lunch at 10am though! And there's no way his van can hold enough stock for that huge queue

At 10 a.m on the weekend, it's breakfast.

HaddawayAndShite · 27/01/2024 12:34

ExtraOnions · 27/01/2024 10:55

If that’s the best thing you can think of doing on a Saturday, you need to take a good hard look at yourself.

And slagging people off on the internet is a grand old life aye?

roundtable · 27/01/2024 12:40

RainbowZebraWarrior · 27/01/2024 10:44

I'm with you. This is utter madness as he even admits ro going to bookers and just buying massive plastic tubs of toppings. I was expecting it to be really different / gourmet.

I used to be a chef in a seaside fish shack restaurant. Folk would queue 3 hours for our food. It was different though - everything made from scratch and high end ingredients. We featured in the Observer and Jay Rayner called us his new favourite place. The difference being the quality / surroundings etc and nobody else was doing what we did.

Don't understand people becoming obsessed with something totally everyday and ordinary.

Was it The Company Shed? Being nosy - you dont have to tell me!

InAnotherLifetimeMaybe · 27/01/2024 12:42

Well said @HaddawayAndShite

roundtable · 27/01/2024 12:43

It's a lot I agree but it's just a modern sort of advert for a product. Like in America when an excitable car salesman advertises his cars on a local channel. I love those adverts 😁

Willmafrockfit · 27/01/2024 12:45

me and ds queued at midnight for the latest harry potter book, how ever many years ago that was
it was the experience

roundtable · 27/01/2024 12:49

me and ds queued at midnight for the latest harry potter book, how ever many years ago that was
it was the experience

How many years did people used to queue from the early hours of the morning for the Next sale?

Plus there might be those people who see a queue and join it...Brits do love a queue!

alwaysmovingforwards · 27/01/2024 12:54

Workwhat · 27/01/2024 10:15

I wouldn't do it but whatever, it's not harming people. I think people act like trends and crazes are a social media age thing, but there has always things like this.

I can't really hate in people looking for a bit of fun and joy tbh. I don't think it's a sign of the world going mad.

I agree, it's harmless.
Good for him selling his spuds. And if people want to queue round the block to join in with this and put it on social media.. it harms nobody. It probably marks them out as being a bit easily influenced / desperate to be part of something bigger than their own lives have to offer, but was always the way.
When you really get insightful data (we do through my job) you quickly realise the average person on the street is a bit thick in terms of their own ambitions and defaults to seeks out very simple pleasures so that they feel they fit in with others.

MasterBeth · 27/01/2024 12:59

it was the experience

Do you not see a difference between being desperate to read the latest installment of a huge multi-novel series and being desperate for a bog-standard baked potato? They don't feel comparable to me.

saltnvini · 27/01/2024 13:00

I hope he makes his millions off his potato van. Make hay while the sun shines and all that.

saltnvini · 27/01/2024 13:01

Do you not see a difference between being desperate to read the latest installment of a huge multi-novel series and being desperate for a bog-standard baked potato? They don't feel comparable to me.

Maybe try the potato before you judge it

Willmafrockfit · 27/01/2024 13:16

no as i said
It was the Experience,
or as known nowadays making memories

RainbowZebraWarrior · 27/01/2024 13:32

roundtable · 27/01/2024 12:40

Was it The Company Shed? Being nosy - you dont have to tell me!

No, it was Riley's Fish Shack.

Mothership4two · 28/01/2024 04:03

@fonfusedm

@Mothership4two but lots of people are daft though! Is that a surprise?

That is basically what this thread is about. Obviously I am aware that people follow trends and can be daft (it's hardly a new thing) but still am surprised that those people will actually do silly things and don't use common sense. I'm aware some people drink and drive, but find it surprising that an individual would get in a car over the limit knowing what the consequences could be.

LindorDoubleChoc · 28/01/2024 05:08

Yanbu! People are the weirdest creatures. I would never queue for food if I had a choice about it.

Passingthethyme · 28/01/2024 05:32

I would never wait 4hours for a potato. YANBU

JubileeJumps · 28/01/2024 06:04

These tik tok bubbles just burst and then things go back to normal. I hope he can make hay while the sun shines. There was a chip shop everyone went mad for and queued for hours but then it just all went quiet.

MasterBeth · 28/01/2024 08:26

saltnvini · 27/01/2024 13:01

Maybe try the potato before you judge it

It's a baked potato with cheese and beans, not Heston Blumenthal!

saltnvini · 28/01/2024 08:30

MasterBeth · 28/01/2024 08:26

It's a baked potato with cheese and beans, not Heston Blumenthal!

Heston Blumenthal could probably make THE ULTIMATE BAKED POTATO and everyone would lap it up.

Glitterybee · 28/01/2024 08:42

Absolutely bonkers!!!!

Especially those who travelled hours and have stayed in hotels overnight before queuing!

Also I love a good baked potato but the fact his chilli con carne and chicken curry comes from tins makes me feel sick 🤢

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

CalmAfterTheStorms · 28/01/2024 09:00

Shame they're not as enthusiastic about doing something meaningful though.
To me it just shows a massive lack of imagination, the sleep walkers out in force again.
If someone had demanded they stand out in the cold for hours waiting on a jacket spud they would be up in arms. I think sheep are actually more intelligent than this gullible lot.
Spud man will now take on more staff which he will then have to dismiss in a week or two once the imbeciles have grown bored of it.

ninebiscuits · 28/01/2024 09:28

InAnotherLifetimeMaybe · 27/01/2024 10:05

Also....I noticed it's potato, then butter, then cheese and then the beans on top. Not seen it done that way before

I like my cheese on top usually 😝

Its gotta be cheese-beans-cheese!!

ssd · 28/01/2024 10:08

Life annoys me enough, thank god i don't have tiktok

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.