My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To think the words gone mad or am I just boring?

127 replies

IceWhites · 27/01/2024 10:00

There’s a man who owns a jacket potato van in Tamworth town centre called Spudman. Recently gone viral on TikTok- and his jacket potatoes are now selling over a 1000/2000 a day! Obvs pleased for him making money while business lasts- but people have been queuing up for a jacket potato cheese and beans for hours every day.

Anyway, friend messaged this morning and she’s taken her nephew to his van. They left at 5am, the jacket potato van doesn’t open til 9/10- and when they got there there was already 30 people in the queue. She’s just messaged to say there’s now over 500 people in the queue? For a jacket potato?

The world I think has just gone mad. I know it’s a TikTok trend but it’s beyond belief. She said the queue is over 4 hours long now that’s longer than a ride at Alton Towers!

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

262 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
3%
You are NOT being unreasonable
97%
PhoenixReincarnated · 27/01/2024 10:36

Never such a thing as too much cheese. You could even have different types of cheese if you want

Trulyme · 27/01/2024 10:37

People just love to follow trends.

MN is classic for it.

I don’t actually have Tik Tok but I’ve seen stories of Stanley cups and these are the new thing to have and people are breaking into peoples homes to get them and things.

The world has always been mad and wanting to keep up with the Jone’s but now with SM it’s gone absolutely crazy!

MrsSkylerWhite · 27/01/2024 10:37

Nothing beats a proper baked spud, microwave just doesn’t cut it. Lots of people can’t afford to run their oven for up to 1 1/2 hours now, so maybe that explains some of it?
Not my cup of tea, queuing for hours, but each to their own.

SweetBirdsong · 27/01/2024 10:39

Utterly ludicrous, and an excellent example of 'The Emporers New Clothes.' Some people are just sheep. Quite sad really, but also laughable.

GalileoHumpkins · 27/01/2024 10:40

I don't think people queuing for a jacket potato is an indication that the world has gone mad.

SoDoffYourHat · 27/01/2024 10:40

MrsSkylerWhite · 27/01/2024 10:37

Nothing beats a proper baked spud, microwave just doesn’t cut it. Lots of people can’t afford to run their oven for up to 1 1/2 hours now, so maybe that explains some of it?

We use the air fryer to keep costs down.

TheCountessofFitzdotterel · 27/01/2024 10:41

I think that’s a rather nice story.
People have always gone mad with crazes and this is a harmless one and he’s trying to do something good with it.
They’re probably having nice chats in the queue and it gets them out of the house.
I also suspect that in an age when more people than ever are working and studying from home and we are having less face to face contact than ever before this is partly a subconscious response to a human craving for company and shared experiences. We are a social animal currently trying to live in a way our brains weren’t designed for.

Gymmum82 · 27/01/2024 10:41

Same happened to a Chinese locally. Tbf it was a novel concept, drive through Chinese. Anyway, it went viral. People queuing for 3/4 hours for a Chinese. Blocking the local roads etc.
It’s all died down now months later and I don’t think business is doing so well from what I hear. We went once, it was ok but definitely not 4 hours worth

MrsSkylerWhite · 27/01/2024 10:41

SoDoffYourHat · Today 10:40

MrsSkylerWhite · Today 10:37

We use the air fryer to keep costs down

Agree, air fryers are great but they’re quite an outlay initially.

BintuBombatu · 27/01/2024 10:42

It’s like the short-lived Binley Mega Chippy fad all over again. There was a song.

I do think it’s weird, but interesting, how these things incubate on social media.

SKG231 · 27/01/2024 10:43

People are sheep, plain and simple. If everyone else is buying something or doing something they must do it to or feel left out. Like that whole stupid prime drink phase and parents driving miles and paying stupid amounts just so their demanding little kids could get a poxy drink they thought they just had to have.

RainbowZebraWarrior · 27/01/2024 10:44

I'm with you. This is utter madness as he even admits ro going to bookers and just buying massive plastic tubs of toppings. I was expecting it to be really different / gourmet.

I used to be a chef in a seaside fish shack restaurant. Folk would queue 3 hours for our food. It was different though - everything made from scratch and high end ingredients. We featured in the Observer and Jay Rayner called us his new favourite place. The difference being the quality / surroundings etc and nobody else was doing what we did.

Don't understand people becoming obsessed with something totally everyday and ordinary.

fonfusedm · 27/01/2024 10:45

I'm constantly gobsmacked by people. Cannot believe that there are a significant amount of sheeples who are heavily influenced by trends and can be a bit dim at times.

It's human nature for sine to want to part of something, so it's not that out there

fonfusedm · 27/01/2024 10:45

Some

VimtoEverywhere · 27/01/2024 10:46

It's the tik tok effect, just look at stanley cups! A video goes viral and everyone goes crazy for it, very odd

fonfusedm · 27/01/2024 10:46

Don't understand people becoming obsessed with something totally everyday and ordinary.
Because it's accessible. Look at the Mrs Hinch thing, the vast majority can buy a sponge & clean, very clever marketing.

AhBiscuits · 27/01/2024 10:46

InAnotherLifetimeMaybe · 27/01/2024 10:34

Would that be too much cheese?

I understand all the words in this sentence, but all together I just can't work it out. Makes zero sense 😕

Catza · 27/01/2024 10:47

Some people are really pragmatic on this thread which is OK. But what do you think makes for a more fun story/life experience?
“We once got up at 4am to queue for a jacket potato” or “ I once microwaved jacked potato for lunch at home”. Just live a little, it’s a harmless way to have some fun and our kid would love a trip for a jacket potato in the middle of the night and would have great memories doing something completely pointless but hilarious with her parents.

AhBiscuits · 27/01/2024 10:47

I'm going to make jacket potatoes for dinner.

LaBruja · 27/01/2024 10:48

I love a good jacket potato but that's ridiculous. The same thing happened a little while ago with a chip shop, I really don't get it either.

InAnotherLifetimeMaybe · 27/01/2024 10:48

VimtoEverywhere · 27/01/2024 10:46

It's the tik tok effect, just look at stanley cups! A video goes viral and everyone goes crazy for it, very odd

It's not odd.... it's just the same as a tv advert

Or magazine ads. But who buys magazines anymore

pizzaHeart · 27/01/2024 10:49

InAnotherLifetimeMaybe · 27/01/2024 10:05

Also....I noticed it's potato, then butter, then cheese and then the beans on top. Not seen it done that way before

I like my cheese on top usually 😝

Oh no! it’s so very wrong, I agree that cheese goes on top always otherwise it’s just a sloppy mess. And yes, there is no such thing as too much cheese. How could this possible???

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

VimtoEverywhere · 27/01/2024 10:51

InAnotherLifetimeMaybe · 27/01/2024 10:48

It's not odd.... it's just the same as a tv advert

Or magazine ads. But who buys magazines anymore

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I can't imagine people queuing for hours for a potato because of an advert in a magazine

ShinyAppleDreamingOfTheSea · 27/01/2024 10:52

Not heard of this before but hoping it will raise the popularity of jacket potatoes again. So many pubs / cafes have taken baked potatoes off their lunch menu now and it's my favourite. (PS it doesn't matter whether the cheese or beans go in first as long as the cheese is not put in the oven/microwave to melt!)

Lovemusic82 · 27/01/2024 10:53

Sounds crazy. I love a jacket potato’s with cheese and beans but it would be just as quick to cook one at home than it would to queue?

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.