Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To be put off by date eating pub leftovers

574 replies

Runki · 06/11/2023 21:31

I have never posted on here before so please be gentle! 😉 I just wanted some honest opinions from people. I've been seeing a man for a number of months. We went out yesterday to a pub for something to eat, at lunchtime. When we got there, the table next to us hadn't been cleared yet and there was quite a bit of food left on plates. I asked him what he wanted to eat for lunch, and he said he would just eat some leftover toast and sausages from the uncleared table. I thought he was joking and laughed. But he actually meant it. He took two pieces of left over, cold toast and some sausages and proceeded to eat them, with no plate. I said I would buy him lunch and he didn't need to eat leftovers! He said he couldn't stand wasted food. I ordered my own lunch and ate it, alone, as he had already gobbled up the leftovers from the people who had left. Would this put you off someone? Or should I more be accommodating?! In all honesty, it made me feel very uncomfortable and I found it very unattractive. How would this make you feel, can I ask? Look forward to hearing what people think. For context, he has never done this before, but has alluded to wanting to do it when we've been to other places. I asked him yesterday if he was worried that someone's saliva might be on the leftover food, but he said he couldn't care less.

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

3720 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
2%
You are NOT being unreasonable
98%
MonsteraMama · 06/11/2023 22:03

I understand people who are doubting this but I know a bloke who does this all the time, he'd drink the last mouthful of people's abandoned pints too. For 20 years he's been known as Dregs. He's an absolute rotter.

I'm all for reducing food waste but leftover toast and sausage goes in the dog, not in the Boyfriend.

VitoCorleoneOfMNMafia · 06/11/2023 22:04

BrightYellowDaffodil · 06/11/2023 21:34

That would give me the ick so much I’d feel myself slam shut like a startled oyster.

😂😂😂 I'm stealing that.

Twilight7777 · 06/11/2023 22:04

BrightYellowDaffodil · 06/11/2023 21:34

That would give me the ick so much I’d feel myself slam shut like a startled oyster.

🤣 love your description, and same here!

SisterhoodNotCisterhood · 06/11/2023 22:05

I wouldn't have walked out for that.

I would have run. Probably smacking a thigh painfully into a chair and toppling it as I fled in horror.

therealcookiemonster · 06/11/2023 22:05

ewwww ewwww ewww ewww

what did I just read.... disgusting

tbh I would have left as if I staying while he did that, I would have thrown up. disgusting.

if he was someone who was starving and couldn't afford food... that's a totally different scenario but this is sooooooo gross.

Bumblebeestiltskin · 06/11/2023 22:05

GRIM

lightisnotwhite · 06/11/2023 22:06

SisterhoodNotCisterhood · 06/11/2023 22:05

I wouldn't have walked out for that.

I would have run. Probably smacking a thigh painfully into a chair and toppling it as I fled in horror.

Hahaa that's a brilliant description.

VitoCorleoneOfMNMafia · 06/11/2023 22:07

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe · 06/11/2023 21:55

What's actually 'gross' about it? Do you think the diner put the unwanted sausages in his mouth and took them out again before leaving them on the plate? People have germs - you, me, the chefs, the serving staff, everybody.

There is too much food waste and that's a fact. There are some very privileged people who pontificate and it's clear that they have little idea of how other people might live. The constant cries of 'gross' are theatrical and a bit pathetic really. It's food. Leftover food.

The reason why OP should dump this chump is because they were going out to eat and he didn't behave in an appropriate manner. He ate the leftovers and then let the OP order and eat alone. They are incompatible; many people would be incompatible with this man.

Find another one, OP. Leave this plate-scout to his own devices.

The original diner might have sneezed and coughed on the leftovers.

Karev · 06/11/2023 22:07

No no no.

LakeTiticaca · 06/11/2023 22:08

Oh that is disgusting. Ick ick ick I couldn't have a relationship with someone who did that, and my standards have not been too high in the past 🤣🤣🤣

FallingStar21 · 06/11/2023 22:09

I actually agree with @fishfingersandtoes and @LyingWitchInTheWardrobe

Leaving the embarrassment aspect aside, I don't see a huge issue with someone picking up random leftover food, if it didn't have bite marks/signs it's been eaten.
Food waste is a huge issue and whilst I'd personally never do what he did, I also don't think it's as "horrendous" and "disgusting" as people are making it out to be.
Having said that, I would be mortified if my date or anyone I went out with, did that. Wouldn't bat an eyelid if it was leftovers from another person's plate at home, but a pub is just going too far 😀
I'm also wondering if his real reasons were "food waste" or a false pretense to hide the fact he doesn't like "money waste" 😀

TruJay · 06/11/2023 22:10

@Monetm I grew up in poverty but I wouldn’t do what OP’s date did!

I thought you were going to say he’d eaten your leftovers, which my dh often does with mine which doesn’t bother me at all but I don’t even know what to say about your date doing what he did. I think I’d have walked out and left him there.

If you were in an episode of The Walking Dead and starving yeh I think it’s fine, otherwise nah, not for me 🤣

NannyGythaOgg · 06/11/2023 22:10

I certainly believe you.
I once went out on a blind date with some friends (a couple) and their friend. At the end of the meal we all paid our share and then left cash on the table as a tip. I looked back as I was leaving and my 'date' picked up and pocketed the tip.

Urgh. No way was I seeing him again. Yours, I think, was even worse.

I don't like waste, but eating a strangers left overs rather than pay for food Yeuk

BOOTS52PollyPrissyPants · 06/11/2023 22:11

That is just grim as others have said. He probably hangs around the restaurants and checks the bins late at night.
Would put me right off. Is it a money thing with him or can you offer any other insight into it.
That would put me off my own food to be honest.

Hibye23289 · 06/11/2023 22:12

I can't even believe this is real???

MrsQTip · 06/11/2023 22:12

I do not believe this happened

SunnyCoco · 06/11/2023 22:13

I'm another one who doesn't find it that gross, inherently

The bigger problem for me is that it's an innapropriate way of behaving when you're supposed to be having a meal with someone.
It makes me question his judgment for sure.

Best of luck whatever you decide

tara66 · 06/11/2023 22:13

RUN!

SpicedAppleAndFreshCider · 06/11/2023 22:13

I don't agree with double dipping so I'm not going to like this and you don't know if they've fingered the food or sneezed on it.

I'd have gave my dog a sausage at a push but I still would have been wary.

Nothanksthanksanyway · 06/11/2023 22:13

Surely you don’t even need to ask??? This is absolutely revolting behaviour!!

TogetherWeLearn · 06/11/2023 22:14

Waste not want not! Eating random leftovers is a step too far though.

TheRealLilyMunster · 06/11/2023 22:14

No, that's really horrible.

I could never kiss him again.

CherryCokeFanatic · 06/11/2023 22:14

This can’t be real lol

I know playing minesweeper when you’re drunk is a thing but never heard of eating leftovers!

AuntieDolly · 06/11/2023 22:15

It could have been on the floor or anything! I'd have been so grossed out and embarrassed. No way back from that for me

Sunseaandsand1 · 06/11/2023 22:15

I wouldn’t let my dog eat someone else’s leftovers. I’m intrigued about his “hating seeing food go to waste” comment though, what’s he like at home? Is he one of those people who has all sorts of fancy ways of storing his fruit, veg, bread & cooked food? I’m guessing not.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.