Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To be put off by date eating pub leftovers

574 replies

Runki · 06/11/2023 21:31

I have never posted on here before so please be gentle! 😉 I just wanted some honest opinions from people. I've been seeing a man for a number of months. We went out yesterday to a pub for something to eat, at lunchtime. When we got there, the table next to us hadn't been cleared yet and there was quite a bit of food left on plates. I asked him what he wanted to eat for lunch, and he said he would just eat some leftover toast and sausages from the uncleared table. I thought he was joking and laughed. But he actually meant it. He took two pieces of left over, cold toast and some sausages and proceeded to eat them, with no plate. I said I would buy him lunch and he didn't need to eat leftovers! He said he couldn't stand wasted food. I ordered my own lunch and ate it, alone, as he had already gobbled up the leftovers from the people who had left. Would this put you off someone? Or should I more be accommodating?! In all honesty, it made me feel very uncomfortable and I found it very unattractive. How would this make you feel, can I ask? Look forward to hearing what people think. For context, he has never done this before, but has alluded to wanting to do it when we've been to other places. I asked him yesterday if he was worried that someone's saliva might be on the leftover food, but he said he couldn't care less.

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

3720 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
2%
You are NOT being unreasonable
98%
Insuranceheadache · 08/11/2023 06:58

My husband’s niece is one of those people who eats food from supermarket skips for environmental reasons. Tbh I find that less disturbing than eating a stranger’s leftovers. (She also eats roadkill 😭)

This thread reminds me of one a while ago about putting chicken bones off people’s plates into the pot for stock, which a lot of people wouldn’t do (I would but only if we were all family). It’s not especially rational but it’s obviously a strong taboo, which makes me wonder whether we’ve evolved to feel disgust about it, perhaps because of the risk of spreading disease, which presumably would have been greater for our ancestors than for us.

Montelukast · 08/11/2023 07:19

Disgusting and shows how tight he is. You don’t want an icky miser !
Dump him!!!!

Daffodi1970 · 08/11/2023 07:48
Sesame Street Oscar GIF

Ewww 🤢🥴🤦‍♀️ so many ewww’s here actually! Just the thought of someone doing that makes me heave but you are a better person than me cause I could not have sat there with him doing that icky! The risk of 🦠😱🤢 I’m sure most of us don’t like food waste but there’s a level of boundaries! Is his name Oscar 🤣 Sesame St (sorry 🤷‍♀️) kick him to the kerb!

NazMedusa · 08/11/2023 08:48
Ew Sickening GIF by Gerbert!

And that's him on a date, presumably on his best behaviour... So, so grim. I just couldn't go any further.

Jellytot1234 · 08/11/2023 09:37

I genuinely read the thread title and assumed it’d be you were annoyed he ate your leftovers which I would have said “ahh what’s wrong with that” but I am horrified to read you meant previous customers 😂😂 It’s actually quite hilarious and it has made me giggle. I don’t think I’ve ever heard of anyone that would do this so yes- I’d definitely not be so keen on the guy after this 😬😂

Barney60 · 08/11/2023 09:52

Got the ick!🤑

GasPanic · 08/11/2023 09:53

What sort of sausages ? Vegetarian or meat ?

And was there gravy ? Cold gravy ?

Treesandsheepeverywhere · 08/11/2023 09:54

If someone doesn't show self love, don't think they will love you.
He would have faked it for now but then expect you to behave like him.

Who knows why the food was left unfinished, Could be because a fly sat on it, got sneezed on etc.

If he doesn't seem himself worthy, cut loose now.

SwearyBetty · 08/11/2023 09:55

@Runki you’re Daily Mail famous now

GreekDogRescue · 08/11/2023 09:56

I’d have bagged it up and given it to my pets. I hate to waste food especially meat.

runsmidgeOMG · 08/11/2023 09:56

Literally can’t believe what I just read. Same as PP, I expected it to be he took leftovers home and ate your share or some such….

eww eww and more eww
delete and block

Cactusmad · 08/11/2023 10:08

It’s the lack of self control and drip feeding to op ,hes done this type of thing before . I think after having lock downs and germ awareness people feel this is out there. For me it’s the double dipping and the food is an unknown quantity. Family leftovers ok but food that may have been there ages no . I think he was testing to see if he had new plate raiding buddy. I regularly see a bloke raiding outside ash trays and just worry about germs but the other one is actually swallowing the food. He must have the constitution of an ox to indulge in this kind of behaviour.

Runki · 08/11/2023 10:14

@SwearyBetty oh my Lord, really?!

OP posts:
SwearyBetty · 08/11/2023 10:19

Yep two colleagues were discussing it earlier and I went to have a look. It’s definitely there 😂sorry!

Sage71 · 08/11/2023 10:24

Made me feel ill just reading it never mind witnessing it 🤮. He would def be gone.

Manthide · 08/11/2023 10:24

That's why the most disturbing encounters I've had with members of the human species- and the most outing - remain within a very close circle! Hope your identity is safe.

aggiemay21 · 08/11/2023 10:27

I know how how difficult it is on the dating scene. I spent five years dating donuts, but did find my lovely hubby in the end. I was 38 when we met.

My advice is to dump this guy. His actions are not socially acceptable, they are a health-risk and are generally just unpleasant to witness. I don't think I would've stayed for the lunch. I'd have left straight away.

He is right in some respects. I hate wasted food, too. But, the onus is on the people who didn't eat all their food, and also on the restaurant for serving portions that are too big. It's not your partner's responsibility to eat the leftovers to reduce the wasted food.

Ditch him.

Don't give up your search for love. You'll find your person. You don't have to settle for someone who eats leftover sausages off other customer's plates.

You want someone who's going to make you feel good about yourself when you're out in public. Not someone who is going to embarrass you and make you cringe.

Chin up. Stay positive. x

Runki · 08/11/2023 10:29

@SwearyBetty Christ Almighty, I've just looked and can't believe my eyes. Ha ha ha ha 😂 very very nervous laugh. Some of the comments are mental....apparently I am a chubby, benefit scrounging, scrunchie wearing, false nail wearing, Mumsnet chubster who sits on a third hand sofa?! And I must have had boyfriends before so surely that makes me someone's leftovers as well?! I cannot believe that the first time I post on Mumsnet, it ends up in the effing Daily Mail. 😳 Don't know whether to laugh or cry wha ha ha ha 😂 😆 Thank you so much for telling me! It must be a VERY slow news day!

OP posts:
Runki · 08/11/2023 10:31

@aggiemay21 Thank you so much. I appreciate your comment so much. It did embarrass me a lot. Thank you for understanding. X

OP posts:
SwearyBetty · 08/11/2023 10:32

who is clutching a stolen phone watching GMTV whilst gargling cider.

Yep saw that gem too!

aggiemay21 · 08/11/2023 10:35

You're welcome. Don't settle for less. If the man doesn't have any self respect and love from himself, he sadly won't have the respect and love for you that you deserve. x

Ohhoho · 08/11/2023 10:35

I think it is really rational. I hate waste too. I might roll my eyes because I wouldn't dare but it wouldn't put me off more important things. I like him.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

Runki · 08/11/2023 10:36

As I seem to have ended up in the Daily Mail and am a little freaked out by said occurrence 😂, I think I will now refrain from making any further comments on this thread for fear of further daily rag publications! Will be keeping my head down from now on for fear of the paparazzi 😉 Thank you so much everyone for all the words of encouragement and understanding! Be assured that the sausage and toast snaffler will not be entertained by me again! X

OP posts:
Runki · 08/11/2023 10:38

@SwearyBetty Ha ha oh yes I forgot that bit!!! I must put my stolen phone and gargled cider down so that I can change the channel from GMTV to erm...I don't know....TOWIE?! Thank you so much for the laughs. X

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.