Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To kick her chair during the inflight meal

327 replies

CanStopWillStop · 07/03/2023 00:45

in short, red eye flight from America. The woman in front reclines her chair as soon as humanly possibly. No issue with that.

the inflight meal comes about 45mins in. She is the ONLY person in the cabin who keeps her seat reclined, bearing in mind she is sat bolt upright to eat.

I don’t believe it’s within my rights to ask her to (do the decent thing and) put her chair up so I can eat in comfort without her chair pressing against my forehead. Instead I did the petty thing and kicked her chair throughout I’m the inflight meal, so she had a taste of the discomfort that I have.

AIBU? 😂

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

AIBU

You have one vote. All votes are anonymous.

CanStopWillStop · 07/03/2023 01:25

Sockloon · 07/03/2023 01:21

Definition of Physical violence. a person is exerting control over another person through the use of physical force
^^
If you can't communicate with other people with our kicking maybe you should not be in public just saying. 🙄
^^

Agreed, lock me up and throw away the key. At least the chairs don’t recline in prison…

OP posts:
EmmaEmerald · 07/03/2023 01:26

Did she put her seat back up after you kicked?

maybe she just had a brain fart and forgot to put it up. you say you're tired and jet lagged, maybe she is too.

You could even have just tapped her shoulder and pointed to the chair if you didn't want to speak.

you're spoiling for a fight.

CanStopWillStop · 07/03/2023 01:26

Inkypot · 07/03/2023 01:24

"Use your words" to someone who has now repeatedly stated she has a speech impediment seems like a poor choice of words.

Don’t worry about it, the irony that I’m being called passive aggressive isn’t lost on me. Sadly the effect of stuttering is usually lost on people who aren’t affected by it.

OP posts:

CanStopWillStop · 07/03/2023 01:25

Agreed, lock me up and throw away the key. At least the chairs don’t recline in prison…

x post
are you quite well?

Eyerollcentral · 07/03/2023 01:27

You sound bonkers

CanStopWillStop · 07/03/2023 01:30

Did she put her seat back up after you kicked?

maybe she just had a brain fart and forgot to put it up. you say you're tired and jet lagged, maybe she is too.

You could even have just tapped her shoulder and pointed to the chair if you didn't want to speak.

you're spoiling for a fight.

Nope. I’m jet lagged not drunk. The seatbelt sign went on and her seat flew straight back. COOL! You have every right to recline same as me (although I signalled to the man behind before I whipped my chair back during lights down 😅) The meal came out, she wakes from her mini slumber and sits bolt upright to eat. She felt a bit of extra turbulence while eating her beef stew, didn’t appear concussed so I guess it won’t be a life sentence for me.

OP posts:
CanStopWillStop · 07/03/2023 01:32

Eyerollcentral · 07/03/2023 01:27

You sound bonkers

Interesting choice of words, care to elaborate?

OP posts:
ZeldaWillTellYourFortune · 07/03/2023 01:32

What airline and what make/model of aircraft? because I've been on literally hundreds of flights and never had a reclined seat anywhere near my forehead, or even materially interfere with my reading or eating.

Exactly when/where/on what aircraft did this happen? Why didn't you summon the FA if it were really that bad? though I am unaware of any seat configuration that would bring a seatback that far over your tray table.

Eyerollcentral · 07/03/2023 01:33

CanStopWillStop · 07/03/2023 01:30

Nope. I’m jet lagged not drunk. The seatbelt sign went on and her seat flew straight back. COOL! You have every right to recline same as me (although I signalled to the man behind before I whipped my chair back during lights down 😅) The meal came out, she wakes from her mini slumber and sits bolt upright to eat. She felt a bit of extra turbulence while eating her beef stew, didn’t appear concussed so I guess it won’t be a life sentence for me.

So why didn’t you just tap the woman in front of you on the shoulder? Any flight I’ve ever been on flight attendants make you put your seat upright for food service anyway, how could they even place your food on the tray if her seat was fully reclined? Makes no sense

WandaWonder · 07/03/2023 01:38

If you didn't want the drama you would have asked her yourself

It is not really complicated

CanStopWillStop · 07/03/2023 01:39

ZeldaWillTellYourFortune · 07/03/2023 01:32

What airline and what make/model of aircraft? because I've been on literally hundreds of flights and never had a reclined seat anywhere near my forehead, or even materially interfere with my reading or eating.

Exactly when/where/on what aircraft did this happen? Why didn't you summon the FA if it were really that bad? though I am unaware of any seat configuration that would bring a seatback that far over your tray table.

British Airways … PREMIUM ECONOMY! Because “bonkers people” apparently also have disposable income to piss up the wall.

food tray comes form the arm rest, seats recline more than standard economy seats. I exaggerate with seat touching my face although because I chose not to recline my seat during the meal because it’s RUDE, it meant her seat was inches away from my face and meal.

i have a genuine question here though… a lot of you are saying that the onus is on ME to stop her from being a jerk. I’ve begrudgingly explained why I actively avoid confrontations with strangers. Are you concerned that seat recliner sally was uncomfortable because I kicked her chair, because with that same logic she could have asked me to stop if it were a big deal. 🤔 discuss…

OP posts:
BadNomad · 07/03/2023 01:40

Maybe the person in front of her had their seat reclined too so she had to keep hers back. So the right thing to do was for you to recline yours too!

CanStopWillStop · 07/03/2023 01:42

Eyerollcentral · 07/03/2023 01:33

So why didn’t you just tap the woman in front of you on the shoulder? Any flight I’ve ever been on flight attendants make you put your seat upright for food service anyway, how could they even place your food on the tray if her seat was fully reclined? Makes no sense

the tray is independent of the seat, but you could have asked me, just like I could have asked her to “unrecline” her chair. Sometimes it’s easier to find your own conclusions 😏

OP posts:
BadNomad · 07/03/2023 01:43

Are you concerned that seat recliner sally was uncomfortable because I kicked her chair, because with that same logic she could have asked me to stop if it were a big deal.

I think she was too busy enjoying her meal to care about someone kicking her seat. She probably didn't feel it anyway what with her sitting bolt upright barely making contact with it.

Iwantmyoldnameback · 07/03/2023 01:43

I don't want to get into a discussion with someone so lacking in knowledge of flight etiquette so I would have got the flight attendant to do it. I wouldn't have kicked her seat but I would have had to pull myself up using her seat back every time I needed the toilet because the reduced space would affect my ability to stand unaided.

CanStopWillStop · 07/03/2023 01:43

BadNomad · 07/03/2023 01:40

Maybe the person in front of her had their seat reclined too so she had to keep hers back. So the right thing to do was for you to recline yours too!

Nope, please refer to the earlier posts. Literally no one else had their chair reclined.

OP posts:
BadNomad · 07/03/2023 01:44

CanStopWillStop · 07/03/2023 01:43

Nope, please refer to the earlier posts. Literally no one else had their chair reclined.

Did you get out of your seat to check what everyone else was doing?

CanStopWillStop · 07/03/2023 01:45

BadNomad · 07/03/2023 01:43

Are you concerned that seat recliner sally was uncomfortable because I kicked her chair, because with that same logic she could have asked me to stop if it were a big deal.

I think she was too busy enjoying her meal to care about someone kicking her seat. She probably didn't feel it anyway what with her sitting bolt upright barely making contact with it.

ooooooh very good point!! I’m sure she did, but I guess we’ll never know 🤣

OP posts:
Eyerollcentral · 07/03/2023 01:45

CanStopWillStop · 07/03/2023 01:42

the tray is independent of the seat, but you could have asked me, just like I could have asked her to “unrecline” her chair. Sometimes it’s easier to find your own conclusions 😏

Your responses are so odd. You obviously have social issues unrelated to your speech impediment given the way you have responded to people on this thread and indeed on the plane.

StrawHatOnTheParcelShelf · 07/03/2023 01:45

I can't see how kicking the seat back would achieve anything if she was upright, she wouldn't be in contact with it. What a waste of your angst.

benten54 · 07/03/2023 01:48

Happened to me before on 17 hour flight!

As a CC walked past I caught their eye with a raised finger and this face 😬and made the patented international hand signal and eye expression for 'this fucker has his seat reclined while I'm eating can you sort it?!'

My face did this 🥺 while pointing madly with one hand to the seat in front while flapping the other in a forward motion.

She knew EXACTLY what I meant and sorted it in 2 seconds.

Then she looked at me triumphantly and my face did this 😘

User4891 · 07/03/2023 01:48

The only person I've ever known to kick the seat in front of them on a flight was my 2YO nephew.... and the stranger in front of them gave him an earful for it and he stopped after 5 minutes. I think you need to grow up OP if this genuinely happened.

landyladyoom · 07/03/2023 01:48

I have disabilities too, but i have never kicking people`s chairs before. Id suggest you have dome parental guidance next time your out and about or get some counselling, you sound deranged.

CanStopWillStop · 07/03/2023 01:49

BadNomad · 07/03/2023 01:44

Did you get out of your seat to check what everyone else was doing?

Looool, here’s the thing… when the seat in front of you is practically horizontal it means you get a much better view of the cabin (silver linings eh) so I could see both people in front of her and the man next to her obviously had plane etiquette too because his seat was upright.

I see where you’re going with this, I knew before starting this thread I would be a MN villan lol but honestly, her actions are indefensible. Mine a little more, because it was an eye for an eye. Is the whole world blind, possibly, but i will go on to live a full and happy life as I hope she will too 😆

OP posts:
CanStopWillStop · 07/03/2023 01:51

landyladyoom · 07/03/2023 01:48

I have disabilities too, but i have never kicking people`s chairs before. Id suggest you have dome parental guidance next time your out and about or get some counselling, you sound deranged.

I’m not disabled. I guess if i were deranged I would be classed as mentally ill, unless your intention was to use mental illness as a slur against me?

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.