My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Can this c u next Tuesday of a government please stop fucking our economy?!

184 replies

Liztrussisuseless · 13/10/2022 14:32

Just that really. Everything bloody crashing including my pension. Please can someone make them see sense?!

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

225 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
14%
You are NOT being unreasonable
86%
lightand · 13/10/2022 14:36

It has all gone too complicated for me to understand.

I do think they need more wisdom.

rosemarycait96 · 13/10/2022 14:40

Totally understand your rage. It feels like not a single thing is working anymore! They never seem to make a decision that seems to benefit anyone (well, except for a few dodgy hedge fund managers) and I absolutely can't wait until a general election.

MeowMeowPowerRangers · 13/10/2022 14:40

I think they'll end up loosing the pensions.

MadeForThis · 13/10/2022 14:41

It's madness.

vera99 · 13/10/2022 14:45

The lunatics have taken over the asylum I'm afraid and 12 years of cuntservative rule ending with the farce of Brexit, Johnson and now Truss are at the heart (along with covid, QE, Ukraine war et al) of our problems. Time for the muttering tories briefing that they might vote against the government and force a GE in the national interest to step up to the plate.

Talk of yet another Truss U-turn on the so-called mini-budget is sending the pound soaring!

Modelled on Thatcher my arse !

walkingonsunshinekat · 13/10/2022 14:46

Anyone retiring in the next few years will be poorer, because pension funds (Defined Contribution) will take years to recover from this mess they have caused.

He and Truss are reckless idiots, promoted way above their ability.

Even now Kwarteng blaming Global conditions, yet the IMF chair would not say the UK was an economically stable country, she side stepped the question, then said the the UK should U- turn.

PickAnyName · 13/10/2022 14:46

lightand · 13/10/2022 14:36

It has all gone too complicated for me to understand.

I do think they need more wisdom.

More wisdom? They need chucking out! Bring on the General Election!

Motorbike311 · 13/10/2022 14:46

Oh, but they're just getting started

vera99 · 13/10/2022 14:48

Kate McCann
Truss supporter (!) post-22 tonight: "I mean, she's cardboard isn't she ... we have to accept that". Me: "But that's not going to win you an election, is it?" - "Of course not, we're going to lose. Nothing makes any difference now, we're fucked".

twitter.com/KateEMcCann/status/1580268039643070464

Blossomtoes · 13/10/2022 14:54

Shortest term PM in history I reckon. I wish I was young enough to read what historians make of the last 12 years.

vera99 · 13/10/2022 15:00

It's like you need heart surgery urgently and there's no doctor so the local butcher comes along and says I'm good with knives I'll have a go. Except she's not even the butcher - just a bag of hot air, platitudes and an overarching sense of ambition with any competence. She's delivering us to hell that's for sure, at least Boris was too lazy to do any shit and let Rishi get on with the job.

Damnautocorrect · 13/10/2022 15:03

how does a general election get called? I know it’s early, but there must be some way we can have some sort of input?

NightmareSlashDelightful · 13/10/2022 15:04

Yup. I've lost a client already, and one new business opportunity has just been cancelled — both directly connected to this economic clusterfuck. My clients' businesses are pulling in spending rapidly at the moment.

And yes, my pension is currently down about 20% on what it was even a few weeks ago.

The party of business, my arse. I'm self-employed, and should be right in their crosshairs in many respects. (I'm not a Conservative voter, personally, but a lot of people like me are.) But they are totally, totally fucking it.

And the worst bit is the wider party is still so inward-looking and caught up in its own Westminster psychodrama that they know they're fucking it, and yet they're treating it like a big jolly joke. 'Ho-hum, we'll probably lose the next election.' Yeah, well, ordinary people are actually still relying on your party to govern with a bit of civic responsibility, fucko.

Sunak or Penny Mordaunt would have had a better start than this. Although to be honest I think the rot set in during the coalition government and has just been slowly festering ever since about 2012.

Alondra · 13/10/2022 15:07

The whole world is in turmoil because of Covid and Ukraine. The UK is also dealing with Brexit - from dictating policy in the EU (the biggest trading block in the world) to be on its own. And it's not a good time to be on your own when US, Russia and China are locking horns, it's always the people who pay the price.

There is a Tory government that was elected with a majority and you can do nothing to stop fucking your economy or your pension except complain and contact your MP, which will get you nowhere. The only way to change some things is by voting them out. Which doesn't mean we are changing the system of the rich getting richer, but at least some attempt to a fairer society would be welcome.

vera99 · 13/10/2022 15:08

Damnautocorrect · 13/10/2022 15:03

how does a general election get called? I know it’s early, but there must be some way we can have some sort of input?

There would have to be a vote of no confidence in the government to which 40 or so Tories would have to vote against them. But even then the PM could try to stumble on but the party would probably defenestrate her and rig some caretaker replacement. We are in uncharted territory here but it's unlikely to happen.

www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/explainers/confidence-motions-parliament

MissyB1 · 13/10/2022 15:09

I'm just hoping that someone somewhere will have the power to halt the madness! The trouble is I hoped that about Brexit too, and no one halted it, and I’m hoping that someone will stop Putin’s madness too, but I’m not holding out much hope.

Liztrussisuseless · 13/10/2022 15:09

I like the butcher analysis.

im currently in the camp of what’s the fucking point - may as well trade in all my chips, but a motorhome and bugger off round the world. No point slaving to earn to support self and save into a pension when a two man band (I’m looking at you kwarteng) can just rip it out from under you having taken no fucking advice whatsoever

OP posts:
the80sweregreat · 13/10/2022 15:12

I listen to the new chancellor speaking and it's all just blah blah blah
He doesn't inspire me to believe that anything will change or how he intends to deal with it all.

Noyn · 13/10/2022 15:12

Heard some classic analogies, my favourite so far which is sadly true:

The Ringmaster has left the tent and now the lions are eating the acrobats 😂

StJeanDeVence · 13/10/2022 15:15

Liztrussisuseless · 13/10/2022 15:09

I like the butcher analysis.

im currently in the camp of what’s the fucking point - may as well trade in all my chips, but a motorhome and bugger off round the world. No point slaving to earn to support self and save into a pension when a two man band (I’m looking at you kwarteng) can just rip it out from under you having taken no fucking advice whatsoever

Have you watched Nomadland? DH and I watched it a couple of weeks ago. It's starting to feel more and more as if many of us will end up like the characters in that film.

Noyn · 13/10/2022 15:16

It’s terrible about the pensions - does this mean they’ll finally lose the grey vote as well?

vera99 · 13/10/2022 15:16

Noyn · 13/10/2022 15:12

Heard some classic analogies, my favourite so far which is sadly true:

The Ringmaster has left the tent and now the lions are eating the acrobats 😂

Crikey that's had me splurting my coffee, and there's a storm outside the tent , the roof is ripping off in the wind and the ground is flooding with sewage water.

Dotjones · 13/10/2022 15:23

Noyn · 13/10/2022 15:16

It’s terrible about the pensions - does this mean they’ll finally lose the grey vote as well?

No, it's people who haven't retired yet who will see their savings wiped out. Those who've already retired and cashed in their pension or bought an annuity will be fine.

OhYouBadBadKitten · 13/10/2022 15:23

Its making me really Angry

I'm losing business inquiries, pension is going to pot, friends can't sell houses, renters can't afford to rent, energy prices and food prices through the roof, poorer services from every single organisation, mail doesn't turn up for ages, nhs appointments for urgent things taking forever, my gp has no appointments, there is a critical shortage of blood in England, our rivers are polluted etc etc...

and what are the government doing? absolutely imploding - tearing apart the economy and blaming everyone but themselves and pretending that every critic doesn't know what they are talking about, or are part of some sort of mythical anti-growth coalition, while at the same time they must be developing whiplash through all of their screeching daily u turns.

vera99 · 13/10/2022 15:24

StJeanDeVence · 13/10/2022 15:15

Have you watched Nomadland? DH and I watched it a couple of weeks ago. It's starting to feel more and more as if many of us will end up like the characters in that film.

Just watched the trailer it's now on my list.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.