My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Can this c u next Tuesday of a government please stop fucking our economy?!

184 replies

Liztrussisuseless · 13/10/2022 14:32

Just that really. Everything bloody crashing including my pension. Please can someone make them see sense?!

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

225 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
14%
You are NOT being unreasonable
86%
Liztrussisuseless · 13/10/2022 17:57

Christ what a mess. I bet Have I Got New For You will be a corker tomorrow night

OP posts:
shivermetimbers77 · 13/10/2022 17:57

The Government’s hedge funder friends are the only ones who will be enjoying this. They will be making millions (billions?) betting against the British economy right now . Sickening.

I miss Gordon Brown. He seemed like the last real adult leader we had.

itsgettingweird · 13/10/2022 18:00

I'm really worried too because they aren't willing to accept their actions are at the very least contributing to this economic crash.

All I keep hearing is it's Putins fault and the BOE fault.

And this evening some professor on BBC 4 tried to justify it because we had debt after WW2.

I'd have more faith if they now weren't preparing is for the OBF report being contradictory to what they say but that being ok - because they are always wrong.

FistFullOfRegrets · 13/10/2022 18:00

SerendipityJane · 13/10/2022 16:31

People voted for this, don't forget. They were warned, told us to go fuck ourselves and have now gone to ground.

@SerendipityJane

no matter which party we voted for, we did NOT vote for this, this was not in their manifesto.
🙇🏻‍♀️

SerendipityJane · 13/10/2022 18:01

I don't think this Conservative government can stop effing up our economy because they seem to be wedded to the ideology that caused it.

If you listen very carefully, you will realise it isn't the government that is driving this. They are captive like the hostages on the planes on 9/11. It's Truss and Kwarteng all the way. She admitted she didn't discuss her plans with the cabinet, and presumably still isn't.

If there were any grown up Tories around, they could have reined her in. But they long since flew the coop or were set free.

It must be like the closing scenes of "Downfall" in Westminster right now.

It's rather sweet the media and BBC keep asking "how can Liz Truss recover the markets confidence in her" because the plain and simple answer - and let me be clear here - is she can't. There's nothing except resigning that will settle the markets now. Bearing in mind the non-UK markets haven't bought into the collective madness that is Tory Trussonomics.

FistFullOfRegrets · 13/10/2022 18:05

DashboardConfessional · 13/10/2022 16:50

My flabber is gasted. I'm in financial services and due at a national forecasting conference in November. At this rate we'll be done by 10 past 9 and on the wine.

@DashboardConfessional

theres a silver lining to every cloud 🍷

vera99 · 13/10/2022 18:06

the80sweregreat · 13/10/2022 17:12

The conservatives are good at elections
The right wing press back them up and even the most sensible of people are immune to how bad they can be. My own siblings will say it's all a witch hunt and how much better they are with the economy and blame the LP for everything that's gone on. It's all Gordon Brown's fault.
Outside of mumsnet , many are still in awe of them it seems and will still vote for them.

Talk that Murdoch never backs a loser and that he's prepared to hold his nose and vote Labour with reservations.

Good thread on how much of a clusterfuck this is and some deep background.

Can this c u next Tuesday of a government please stop fucking our economy?!
DuncinToffee · 13/10/2022 18:08

If you voted Tory in 2019, you voted for this, Johnson started it.

vera99 · 13/10/2022 18:10

the80sweregreat · 13/10/2022 17:36

The covid bail outs were badly managed. I know it was a quick fix etc , but it was still all made too easy for some to just claim everything ( going by lbc callers with businesses) plus what I've heard from others too.
Who invented eat out to help out too?
Ppe contracts to friends
Test and trace .. friends again
Yep.. those in power.
3 million received nothing.

And way back Thatcher wasn't a genius she spaffed 200 billion up the wall from peak North Sea Oil Revenues whilst selling off our crown jewels and privatising everything in site and destroying our manufacturing industry.

www.opendemocracy.net/en/opendemocracyuk/thatcher-and-words-no-one-mentions-north-sea-oil/

vera99 · 13/10/2022 18:16

itsgettingweird · 13/10/2022 18:00

I'm really worried too because they aren't willing to accept their actions are at the very least contributing to this economic crash.

All I keep hearing is it's Putins fault and the BOE fault.

And this evening some professor on BBC 4 tried to justify it because we had debt after WW2.

I'd have more faith if they now weren't preparing is for the OBF report being contradictory to what they say but that being ok - because they are always wrong.

And Starmer's fault and the Labour government of 1926 anybody but themselves. Oh, and they initiated the Brexit delusion and wafted it's unholy smell into every crack and crevice of our society. The markets post covid are voting that they are a bunch of useless incompetent cunts - which indeed they are and that Brexit was a pile of wank.

Snoozer11 · 13/10/2022 18:21

AriettyHomily · 13/10/2022 17:14

We are totally fucked, where is the viable alternative? It's like a school captain vote.

The current alternative is more viable than this. How on earth can you think otherwise?

Clavinova · 13/10/2022 18:22

3 million received nothing

This figure has been overestimated. A friend is counted in the 3 million but he received a cash grant of £25,000 per retail shop plus other grants/business rate relief. If there really were 3 million who received nothing why hasn't Labour campaigned more on their behalf?

PPE contracts to friends

Mrs Justice O'Farrell ruled that while the use of the VIP lane - officially known as the high priority lane - was unlawful, she found that both of the companies' offers "justified priority treatment" on their merits and were "very likely" to have been awarded contracts even without it.

the80sweregreat · 13/10/2022 18:29

So why should Labour campaign about the ones who received nothing ?
I'm confused , it wasn't those people making the rules was it ?
Blaming Labour again .. give it a rest

StJeanDeVence · 13/10/2022 18:30

Yaaaaaaay!

'But why haven't Labour....oh, its just too perfect. Thanks Clav 😆

the80sweregreat · 13/10/2022 18:30

So Matt Hancock didn't give his pub landlord friend a ppe contract?
.. I believe he did

Happygirl79 · 13/10/2022 18:33

OhYouBadBadKitten · 13/10/2022 15:23

Its making me really Angry

I'm losing business inquiries, pension is going to pot, friends can't sell houses, renters can't afford to rent, energy prices and food prices through the roof, poorer services from every single organisation, mail doesn't turn up for ages, nhs appointments for urgent things taking forever, my gp has no appointments, there is a critical shortage of blood in England, our rivers are polluted etc etc...

and what are the government doing? absolutely imploding - tearing apart the economy and blaming everyone but themselves and pretending that every critic doesn't know what they are talking about, or are part of some sort of mythical anti-growth coalition, while at the same time they must be developing whiplash through all of their screeching daily u turns.

Totally spot on.

StJeanDeVence · 13/10/2022 18:33

An utterly SUPERB bit of barrel-scraping there, Clav. Beautiful. Poetic, almost.

Clavinova · 13/10/2022 18:33

And this evening some professor on BBC 4 tried to justify it because we had debt after WW2

The outgoing President of the CBI (Lord Bilimoria) said exactly the same thing on Newscast the night before the mini-budget. He was even claiming that Liz Truss was following his ideas. Then a week later on Question Time it was almost as if he had never said it! He was then declaring his love for Keir Starmer.

stevalnamechanger · 13/10/2022 18:33

onmywayamarillo · 13/10/2022 16:28

Not sure weather to stop paying into my pension! I've only got 18 years left

Don't do that . The drop in value totally depends what your pension is even invested in

Thedogscollar · 13/10/2022 18:37

Good old clav never fails to disappoint with her bullshit🙄

Elodie09 · 13/10/2022 18:52

It cannot be right that two people , Truss and Kwarteng, can decide to do what they did without consultation and agreement from advisors. Have rules and regulations been altered during Johnson's tenure to make this so?
I know that the Tories gave themselves emergency powers to act during Covid so are those rules still in place?
I sound naive I know , but I really don't get why this stupid , stupid "Fiscal event" went ahead. What the hell were they thinking? What happened to the objectors amongst the Tory MP's . surely somebody objected.

CapMarvel · 13/10/2022 18:54

FreddyHG · 13/10/2022 17:27

Unfortunately this is market forces. My internationally managed pension fund is down too hardly Lizzie's fault. Recessions like house price falls and rising interest rates are part of life they are essential to the wellbeing long term. The problem with COVID bailouts and the great financial crash is these non profitable and sound companies were not allowed to go to the wall. We need these events to cull the weak businesses.

It's market forces plus a bunch of stupid cunts in government.

And plenty of people voted for this. Truss, Cleverly et all haven't come out of nowhere. Anyone sensible has known the people currently in government were complete idiots for years.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

vera99 · 13/10/2022 18:56

Elodie09 · 13/10/2022 18:52

It cannot be right that two people , Truss and Kwarteng, can decide to do what they did without consultation and agreement from advisors. Have rules and regulations been altered during Johnson's tenure to make this so?
I know that the Tories gave themselves emergency powers to act during Covid so are those rules still in place?
I sound naive I know , but I really don't get why this stupid , stupid "Fiscal event" went ahead. What the hell were they thinking? What happened to the objectors amongst the Tory MP's . surely somebody objected.

They even sacked the Permanent Sec at the Treasury Tom Scholar because he came from 'the blob' who would thwart their genius post-Brexit Singapore on Thames fantasy. So they took over the controls of their plane and mid-flight sacked the air traffic control in nighttime foggy weather. And here we are - having screwed each other they are intent on screwing everybody else.

itsgettingweird · 13/10/2022 19:00

the80sweregreat · 13/10/2022 18:30

So Matt Hancock didn't give his pub landlord friend a ppe contract?
.. I believe he did

Oh he did.

Because obviously often when we pop to the local to order a pint we ask for our hand gel and face masks with the order - being a pub landlords speciality and all that.

It's so unfunny it's become funny that they think they general public are stupid enough to buy it.

FayeGovan · 13/10/2022 19:05

Its the general public thats fucked up big time, by voting Conservative for the first time, like it will help them. Thick as fuck doesn't even come near it. I seen a man about 60ish on the news being interviewed saying he voted for boris, then laughed and said i know he's an idiot but i just voted for him...

That's the voting public for you.

I just want independence. Desperately.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.