Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

About what I feed my child

262 replies

Sunshineonacloud · 04/10/2022 16:24

So at a recent 2 year olds party I noticed other kids eating and drinking stuff that my dc doesn't. I've noticed it a lot on playdates recently too..

My dc is 2.5 years old. We just give him milk and water to drink and veg puffs lentil chips and baby oat bars as snacks lots of fruit and veg. Occasionally chips or a slice of margarita pizza. The odd mini milk or lick or bite of our ice cream.

I've noticed children same age snacking on walkers crisps, drinking strong ribena, eating cupcakes, grown up biscuits like bourbons and nice's, midget gems etc.

I've also noticed my 2 year old being offered sugary biscuits and mini Cheddar at playgroups and when I decline I can tell people think I'm snooty. I'm not, I just thought I was supposed to follow guidelines. I'm a first time mum so enlighten me.. do most people let their kids eat whatever? Tbh it would make my life a lot easier 😂

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

1040 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
72%
You are NOT being unreasonable
28%
diddl · 04/10/2022 17:27

Anyone else really fancy a bourbon now?

Just added to my list of things to pick up next time I'm in UK!

Moonopoly · 04/10/2022 17:29

My PFB was fed like this - no refined sugar until he was 4. PFB is now 12 and a sugar addict…
DC3 who is 2 has certainly eaten all the ‘adult’ foods 😆 Ill let you know what he’s like when he’s 12…

Thatboymum · 04/10/2022 17:30

Should also have added to my previous post the only thing I absolutely object to is fizzy juice when young so my 4 & 7 year old have never had a fizzy drink and If offered they would decline my 13 year old was about 10 before she wanted or had one and even she drinks it in moderation. But that’s literally all it’s about balance and moderation

Wnikat · 04/10/2022 17:30

Those veg puffs are full of sugar.

And come back when you've got child number 2!

I wouldn't have that stuff at home but when you're out and about I don't think it does any harm to accept a mini cheddar.

BryceQuinlanTheFirst · 04/10/2022 17:33

@00100001

My son has a very addictive nature with food and drinks, he is autistic and becomes obsessive. Those drinks will be very very sweet and full of colourings, he would want one every single time we see it, so I'd rather avoid it all together as he has such a sweet tooth.

Cheesewiz · 04/10/2022 17:34

That's why they love parties! Junk food and cakes and sweet stuff, nothing wrong with enjoying food like occasionally as long as it not the bulk of their diet

jewishmum · 04/10/2022 17:35

I would say nothing too strongly flavoured or all the healthy food tastes bland.

My 5 year old and myself both despise fruit shoots, if I do buy them, I've ended up watering them down by half. Way too strong. Like drinking pure undiluted squash!

Soubriquet · 04/10/2022 17:36

The only thing I get slightly judgy about, is when a babies bottle has coke in it

GSat · 04/10/2022 17:36

My gosh, I feel a bit smugly happy as my 2,5 year old won't drink juice or cordial and doesn't like the taste of chocolate / sweeties (apparently they spicy?!)

I mean I'm under no illusion it will soon change but I struggled so much with my weight and binging on snacks my entire adult life that I was always so conscious of not denying him anything but instead trying to introduce healthy habits like we don't have a dessert course after dinner and as far as he is concerned, cakes are for birthdays only 😂

He is allowed to try anything he wants / sees us having but I won't actively offer him any type of snacks apart from fruit / crackers / cheese / yoghurt.

He loves vanilla ice cream / wotsits / cheddars / sat & vinegar crisps but luckily he doesn't ask for them too often so I happily give it to him when he does.

mrs55 · 04/10/2022 17:38

I’ve now raided the mini cheddars and wish I had some bourbons in to have with a cuppa

NewYorkLassie · 04/10/2022 17:38

Come back and let’s chat when you’ve had baby 2.

Thefaceofboe · 04/10/2022 17:41

Lol I feel the same as you op, I was horrified when my nan gave 1yo DD a packets of quavers but didn’t have it in me to say no! I know they’re fine it’s just getting out of that mind set

Bobby80 · 04/10/2022 17:41

I was a strict with DS's food - no sugar, no processed, homemade only etc then I saw him eating a cat biscuit that had fallen into the dogs' water bowl and realised I was wasting my time!

They'll all be necking cider and scoffing haribo at a party at some point anyway and what they ate aged 2 won't make a jot of a difference.

Dreamwhisper · 04/10/2022 17:44

You do understand that you were at a party right? Most people serve treat foods at children's parties..

Thegroaninggurner · 04/10/2022 17:44

If you actually read some of the things in the so called healthier stuff sometimes they are unhealthier than unhealthy snacks lol

DialsMavis · 04/10/2022 17:45

When DS was little I was v puritanical about his diet, by the time I had DD I was much less so...
DS now adult has a far poorer diet than DD (tween) who self regulates her shite intake pretty well.
I think it became forbidden fruit for DS

CuntryPursuits · 04/10/2022 17:45

Personally, I gave my DC Greggs sausage rolls at that age.

goodnighthunny · 04/10/2022 17:47

OP, it's a PFB thing. Those other children are all probably second or subsequent children. My second child's first solid food was compost kindly fed to her by toddler DC1.

MotherWol · 04/10/2022 17:48

Honestly, the only difference between the biscuits specifically aimed at kids and all other biscuits is the price and the marketing. YANBU to keep a toddler off fizzy drinks and limit treats, but there's little practical difference between the kind of treats if you decide to offer them. Also a birthday party isn't a normal picture of most kids diets as they're 90% Haribo.

MargaretThursday · 04/10/2022 17:49

Come back in a few years. Grin

My oldest was fed so carefully on organic food and water. My middle one I was just thankful if she ate anything. My youngest ate whatever the others were eating and preferably lots of junk from a far younger age than the other two.

My youngest comes home from school and he makes up his snack because he's 15yo and starving. Today it consists of about 1/4 a pepper, 6 tomatoes, 1/4 cucumber, some carrot pieces, an apple, and a couple of slices of bread.

I now know where I went wrong feeding #1 and 2. I didn't give them enough junk food when they were a toddler. Grin

Earrin · 04/10/2022 17:50

Same age kid here and I don't feed anything that's essentially adult 'junk food' but I don't put down rules elsewhere, only because it's a futile battle really and I want my child to fit in with the other kids.

I do, though, give my child cordial when their poorly as it's the most sure fire way to get plenty of fluids down and my GP actually told me to at one appointment when my baby was about 11months or so and had a high fever and wasn't drinking. GP said, 'not NHS advice but as a mother I always turned to Ribena in those times'.

Occasionally I will order a cordial type drink when out but 80-90% of the time my kid is drinking milk or water.

I feel like it's moderation - if you're too strict they'll rebel later. I have an adult friend who said this. She eats junk 24/7 because she's still angry at her parents for never letting her eat anything fun until she left home. She'll deliberately order the unhealthiest thing on the menu just to spite them!

kateandme · 04/10/2022 17:50

Still Fanta is far superior anyway😊

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

OhWhatFuckeryIsThisNow · 04/10/2022 17:51

Ahhh, I remember this type of parent. My kids had toddler mates who had very strict diets at home, no sugar, whole meal, veggie, nothing refined. When they hit a party they went crazy. Mum and dad always dropped and ran. We used to have a rota who would deal with the inevitable poonami that resulted from all the party food hitting their digestive system.

MajorCarolDanvers · 04/10/2022 17:52

Your PFB will survive eating a mini cheddar

CheezePleeze · 04/10/2022 17:52

then I saw him eating a cat biscuit that had fallen into the dogs' water bowl and realised I was wasting my time!

😂😂😂

I caught mine scooping a snail from its shell in the garden and got there too late!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.