Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

About what I feed my child

262 replies

Sunshineonacloud · 04/10/2022 16:24

So at a recent 2 year olds party I noticed other kids eating and drinking stuff that my dc doesn't. I've noticed it a lot on playdates recently too..

My dc is 2.5 years old. We just give him milk and water to drink and veg puffs lentil chips and baby oat bars as snacks lots of fruit and veg. Occasionally chips or a slice of margarita pizza. The odd mini milk or lick or bite of our ice cream.

I've noticed children same age snacking on walkers crisps, drinking strong ribena, eating cupcakes, grown up biscuits like bourbons and nice's, midget gems etc.

I've also noticed my 2 year old being offered sugary biscuits and mini Cheddar at playgroups and when I decline I can tell people think I'm snooty. I'm not, I just thought I was supposed to follow guidelines. I'm a first time mum so enlighten me.. do most people let their kids eat whatever? Tbh it would make my life a lot easier 😂

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

1040 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
72%
You are NOT being unreasonable
28%
Earrin · 10/10/2022 10:24

Don't worry I found it!

Untitledsquatboulder · 10/10/2022 11:08

Whilst I wouldn't go out of my way to shovel junk down a toddler I do think what's possible with your first child tends to get a bit derailed by child 2 or 3. Unless you plan to keep the whole family on lentil puffs and water indefinitely of course.

Untitledsquatboulder · 10/10/2022 11:11

Sue2704 · 05/10/2022 19:54

I get what you are trying to do. I have never forgotten my cookery teacher telling me that if there was one food she could ban it would be crisps. They serve no nutritional purpose at all and are just full of crap. In your position I would carry on as you are at home and just relax the rules when you are out. We did that for years with ours. They still - in their 20’s - put a jug of water on the dinner table so good habits can stick. Our whole family still consider crisps as something you only eat in the pub.

??? The "nutritional purpose" of crisps is to add calories to the diet. If your child was severely underweight you'd have a whole different view of them.

Sunshineonacloud · 12/10/2022 19:14

Thabk you everyone for your replies

@BlueRibbonPen the press? How do you mean? Please can you tell me which site

OP posts:
Sunshineonacloud · 12/10/2022 19:22

I found it too! Wow, didn't think it would be such a hot topic for debate

OP posts:
PinkSyCo · 12/10/2022 23:52

Sunshineonacloud · 12/10/2022 19:22

I found it too! Wow, didn't think it would be such a hot topic for debate

Care to share?

PinkSyCo · 12/10/2022 23:57

Found it!

Bllueblazerblack · 13/10/2022 06:04

I don't think you are BU OP. I think people can food their toddlers crap. However, where I live children are often fed fresh fruit and veg with houmous etc. I make flapjacks for DC (oats, natural yogurt and fruit) and they enjoy that.

00100001 · 13/10/2022 20:11

Bllueblazerblack · 13/10/2022 06:04

I don't think you are BU OP. I think people can food their toddlers crap. However, where I live children are often fed fresh fruit and veg with houmous etc. I make flapjacks for DC (oats, natural yogurt and fruit) and they enjoy that.

Yoghurt in a flapjack??

Why?

00100001 · 13/10/2022 20:14

To replace the butter?

Itsnotalternateuniverses · 17/10/2022 03:42

@00100001 I presume to bind everything together. The yogurt doesn't turn watery. It's a very simple recipe and DS enjoys it. Plus no additional sugar.

About what I feed my child
Sulkyatforty · 22/06/2023 02:10

Don’t judge others but stick to your rules. I was strict with my first and thank god I was as second DD was born with genetic condition meaning she has strictest diet ever due to medical needs. DD1 has more ‘junk’ now but juice squash very rarely aged 6 and no adult biscuits or crisps. She eats really healthily a wide range of adult foods as well as haribo and other junk as treats. You lose control to an extent when they go to school but the longer you can feed them healthy food the better their tolerance for it will be! Don’t judge others though as you don’t know their situation - good luck x

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.