Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

About what I feed my child

262 replies

Sunshineonacloud · 04/10/2022 16:24

So at a recent 2 year olds party I noticed other kids eating and drinking stuff that my dc doesn't. I've noticed it a lot on playdates recently too..

My dc is 2.5 years old. We just give him milk and water to drink and veg puffs lentil chips and baby oat bars as snacks lots of fruit and veg. Occasionally chips or a slice of margarita pizza. The odd mini milk or lick or bite of our ice cream.

I've noticed children same age snacking on walkers crisps, drinking strong ribena, eating cupcakes, grown up biscuits like bourbons and nice's, midget gems etc.

I've also noticed my 2 year old being offered sugary biscuits and mini Cheddar at playgroups and when I decline I can tell people think I'm snooty. I'm not, I just thought I was supposed to follow guidelines. I'm a first time mum so enlighten me.. do most people let their kids eat whatever? Tbh it would make my life a lot easier 😂

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

1040 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
72%
You are NOT being unreasonable
28%
PinkSyCo · 05/10/2022 22:50

OP you sound like a lovely mum who is doing their very best for their child. I agree with you that many people feed their kid’s so much shit these days ( there’s a reason there’s an obesity crisis). Ignore the bitchy comments and continue as you are.

DahliasLove · 05/10/2022 22:51

Genuine question…what guidelines? I used to be a bit like you and I tried to keep a tighter hold on what she has at family’s houses etc, but never at parties.

I was allowed very few treats or sweets or anything as kid, mainly because we couldn’t afford it tbh, which meant as soon as I left home I became a fiend for all of the things I wasn’t allowed.

anyway long story short, I relaxed big time and I now have a child who will eat literally anything, and who doesn’t have any rules imposed when it comes to food. Obviously I’m in control of what we have at home and cook mostly from scratch, but if I can’t be arsed and we get take away she can have whatever she wants from there.

I used to still be a firm no on fizzy juice, but once again if she’s at a party or something, I don’t say no anymore. Its a waste of stress and I can’t protect her from everything forever.

Tadpoll · 05/10/2022 22:59

Ribena has no sugar in it anymore

Er, you do know that artificial sweeteners are worse?

Tadpoll · 05/10/2022 23:01

It does make me laugh that in the first year parents are like, ‘they must be EBF, sleep in our room for the first 6 months’ etc and then by the time they’re 2 they’re having fruit shoots.

Krupkrups · 05/10/2022 23:19

@Whattheactualfcku malt loaf, I assume you mean Soreen, might want to get down off your pedestal that stuff is full of sugar and terrible inverted syrups and glucose - terrible, terrible, processed rubbish. Also anything with raisins in is awful for their teeth.

Also you need to climb down as well OP those Organix Oat bars are terrible you may as well give them midget gems! Nice biscuits have a lot less sugar in them per 100g and would be eaten in a smaller serving size than the Organix bars.

The squash unless it’s sugar free I don’t get and even then I don’t agree with and we only do milk and water at nearly 5.

Krupkrups · 05/10/2022 23:22

@PinkSyCo she’s an idiot see my post above, just googled and bourbons also have a lot less sugar per 100g than those organic biscuits. She’s not doing the best. She’s never even read the back of packet!

Mamanyt · 05/10/2022 23:23

miltonj · 04/10/2022 16:30

My 2 year old has all of that stuff. Apart from the drinks. Once they start getting little mates at the playground it just kind of happens! Especially when they're all trying to learn about sharing together. Obviously she gets offered a range of healthier things as well.

LOL, you just stopped me in my tracks. I read, "once they start getting LITTER MATES." Time to make that eye appointment for new glasses!

QS90 · 05/10/2022 23:26

It's normal to want to feed your child a healthy diet - if you're happy doing it and able to enforce it, that's really good.

Our boy is 21 months old. I did everything "right", by which I mean by the book, with his weaning - starting with vegetables, loads of Ella's Kitchen packets, made all those dinky "toddler friendly" snacks from scratch (sugar free porridge "flapjack", veg muffins, banana "pancakes"...) but he's always been a terrible eater (my Auntie reckons I've put him off food!!). Today I managed to get him to eat buttered toast, some of those children's yogurts which are 80% sugar and some cucumber, and that was a win!

I'm very envious that your child eats as they do - if you want to keep it up, don't let the haters put you off. By the same token, if you want to relax it a bit, it won't do your child any real damage so don't beat yourself up over it. Bexaware though, once they start with the nicer stuff, it might be hard to go back as they might demand more junk - that's what I have also found.

MooseBreath · 06/10/2022 00:07

My 2.5yo DS eats a pretty healthy diet, but eats normal biscuits because they're significantly cheaper. The only "toddler food" I buy is the Ella's Kitchen fruit purées because it is 100% fruit that I am 99% sure DS will eat (he can be fussy about some textures at random). He really just eats the same as DH and I now.

aloeleaf · 06/10/2022 04:20

Flugelbinder · 05/10/2022 21:52

@Yourcatisnotsorry

Jokes not allowed on this thread, sorry.

She needs some of those happy face biscuits children enjoyed in the 1980s.

Poppins2016 · 06/10/2022 04:42

SalviaOfficinalis · 04/10/2022 16:33

“strong ribena” made me laugh 😂I’m imagine them necking it from the bottle.

In all seriousness, I’m similar to you OP in that I give my toddler very healthy foods and am trying to stay away from unhealthier treats for as long as possible.

I know people are saying ribena is sugar free, but sweeteners really aren’t good for you either.

But I’m not so naive to think that is the same for everyone. Particularly when there’s older siblings, of course the younger ones want the same. And if it’s an occasional treat that everyone else is having I wouldn’t single mine out and say he couldn’t.

A lot of the baby biscuits are very high in sugar though.

Totally agree. I prefer my children to have sugar (usually in moderation!) over sweeteners.

Similarly, I've become quite relaxed about biscuits etc. because sugar is sugar, whether it's an oaty bar sweetened with fruit or a biscuit... I try to look at the overall picture when it comes to diet and as long as the overall pattern over a week or so is reasonably healthy and balanced I don't worry too much about days it goes a little off kilter.

Mummysharkdoodoodoodoodoodoo · 06/10/2022 04:59

I'm very picky about my kid's food too. I wouldn't feed them crisps but then I also wouldn't feed them processed pre packaged 'baby' snacks like lentil chips and veg puffs as they often aren't very healthy, it's just clever branding. I just don't see why people claim there is 'no harm' in processed food when clearly there is. We make everything from scratch as it means avoiding a lot of chemicals and unhealthy additives. The concept that there is 'no harm' in junk food is quite odd as clearly it's untrue and I'm not sure why this is repeated so often.

StClare101 · 06/10/2022 04:59

My kids are seven and eight and only drink juice at parties, otherwise it’s water and then one cup of milk per day. No soft drink.

We used to bake most of their snacks due to multiple allergies but as they’ve been cleared I definitely buy more biscuits etc. But try for lower sugar etc.

Its not snobby to want your kids to eat decent food.

animalprintfree · 06/10/2022 06:12

This must be area specific. OP how you feed your child would be the norm round here. I’ve never seen a toddler eating mini cheddars or walkers crisps. Personally I wouldn’t, but that’s not because I think they are bad, they just aren’t things I’d buy in the first place. I wouldn’t eat them myself, same with the biscuits.

70billionthnamechange · 06/10/2022 06:38

It's a party, wind your neck in

liveforsummer · 06/10/2022 06:48

Well you're seeing them in a part or fun treat environment not on the home so can't assume they get this all the time. Nothing wrong with anything on occasion after about 1. Especially mini cheddars. Fine as an option occasional snack!

crispsandnuts · 06/10/2022 06:52

You're getting a lot of grief here for just wanting to do the best for your child.
This country has far too much crap food and processed sugary choices hence our obesity and diabetes statistics.
Makes it difficult to guide your child when all their friends eat junk, it's a constant battle I have with my DC who are older.

GloriousGlory · 06/10/2022 07:06

Yourcatisnotsorry · 05/10/2022 21:48

What qualifies a biscuit as ‘grown up’? There’s no bourbon in bourbons you know 🍪

GrinGrinGrin

Is there anything dodgy in jammie dodgers?

peanutjam28 · 06/10/2022 07:09

My parents didn’t allow sweets or chocolate when I was a child. When I hit my teens and could access these foods myself I went chocolate mad (I think because I didn’t really eat it as a child) and put on quite a bit of weight, which I later lost again through dieting. On the other hand I’ve only ever had one filling.

I struggle now with my own toddler - if he sees us adults enjoying a bowl of crisps he will demand to have some and then throw a tantrum if we say no. We don’t eat them that often but do tend to have them when friends come over!

Yourcatisnotsorry · 06/10/2022 09:50

I think rich tea is the OAP of biscuits. A fig roll is a rebellious teen.

BeautifulElephant · 06/10/2022 09:54

CheezePleeze · 04/10/2022 16:31

Of course she is, she's judging the shit out of them!

Cringe 🙈

Didn't you read the last bit...
"I'm a first time mum so enlighten me.. do most people let their kids eat whatever? Tbh it would make my life a lot easier 😂"

user1493559472 · 06/10/2022 10:32

You are the parent to your child, you decide what you feed your child!
Yes your child can give your child treats at certain times.
I am a Health Professional and I am very much for healthy snacks, water and milk to drink.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

Ballsygal · 08/10/2022 11:15

I completely agree with you. Always shocked at the utter cr@p people feed their kids out of laziness. Rivera may not have sugar in it but it’s full of artificial sweeteners and other chemicals which play havoc with hormones etc. highly processed food is so so bad and is the major cause of so many autoimmune diseases. Ignore this who says you are being snooty. Buy food without added sugar - they are far better than adult biscuits despite what some on here say! So what’s right for your kid.

BlueRibbonPen · 10/10/2022 09:35

nice to see this has been picked up by the press!

Earrin · 10/10/2022 10:23

BlueRibbonPen · 10/10/2022 09:35

nice to see this has been picked up by the press!

Do you have a link?

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.