Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

About what I feed my child

262 replies

Sunshineonacloud · 04/10/2022 16:24

So at a recent 2 year olds party I noticed other kids eating and drinking stuff that my dc doesn't. I've noticed it a lot on playdates recently too..

My dc is 2.5 years old. We just give him milk and water to drink and veg puffs lentil chips and baby oat bars as snacks lots of fruit and veg. Occasionally chips or a slice of margarita pizza. The odd mini milk or lick or bite of our ice cream.

I've noticed children same age snacking on walkers crisps, drinking strong ribena, eating cupcakes, grown up biscuits like bourbons and nice's, midget gems etc.

I've also noticed my 2 year old being offered sugary biscuits and mini Cheddar at playgroups and when I decline I can tell people think I'm snooty. I'm not, I just thought I was supposed to follow guidelines. I'm a first time mum so enlighten me.. do most people let their kids eat whatever? Tbh it would make my life a lot easier 😂

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

1040 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
72%
You are NOT being unreasonable
28%
x2boys · 04/10/2022 16:35

Your feed your child, and let others feed their children.

Caspianberg · 04/10/2022 16:36

We feed Ds age 2 a fairly healthy and unprocessed diet at home

At parties or others houses though anything is fair game.

MintJulia · 04/10/2022 16:36

Your child, you can feed him whatever you wish. My ds went to parties and always refused coke/squash. He only drinks water because he only likes water. He still does. He's 14.

Having said that, if he was at someone else's house, he could choose to eat whatever was offered. I don't want to restrict him or make him different to other kids. He got a wider experience, I got some fresh ideas for food.

It's a healthy relaxed mix.

PaperPalace · 04/10/2022 16:37

It's all about moderation. Crisps and biscuits are fine in small quantities if they're also active, not fine in excess.

Itstheimplication · 04/10/2022 16:37

I was pretty strict for ages but found he would then make a beeline for the sweeter stuff. Now he has biscuits, sometimes cake, custard with his pudding etc…

he mainly drinks water or milk, a fruit shoot occasionally and eats a decent amount of veg, lots of fruit and a decent breakfast and dinner plus a hot meal at nursery so I don’t worry so much.

he doesn’t eat sweets, rarely eats chocolate so I can’t get her up about the other stuff to be honest.

lentil crisps aren’t really any better than other crisps

my cousin was stricter and will freely admit now that she wishes she wasn’t as her kid is an absolute junk food demon. He now refuses fruit and veg completely since being allowed a taste of the sweeter stuff. Not saying every child is going to be like that but I think there’s a balance to be had where no food groups are demonised tbh.

I try to look at it as an overall week now. Sometimes DS will have lots of treat foods such as biscuits and snacks but other days barely any.

Sunshineonacloud · 04/10/2022 16:38

@Stickmansmum thanks 😊

@Caspianberg good idea! We are pretty relaxed for a special occasion. I just didn't know if was being too strict generally..

OP posts:
Skinnermarink · 04/10/2022 16:39

Do you think those dried fruit bear winder things are healthy just because they’re marketed that way?

Theyre bloody awful for teeth, might as well give a mini packer of haribo, more fun anyway.

CheezePleeze · 04/10/2022 16:39

According to Google there's 8.1g of sugar in an Organix Oaty Bar.

There's 3.6g in a Bourbon biscuit.

Sunshineonacloud · 04/10/2022 16:40

@CheezePleeze love that you googled this 😂

OP posts:
bathorshower · 04/10/2022 16:40

Many parents say they don't give their child sweet food, but do give them raisins. Raisins are 60% sugar - no cake I've ever made has been that sugary, and I've made a good range of cakes in my time! Have you fallen into the same trap, OP?

35965a · 04/10/2022 16:40

I think being strict is a recipe for disaster for most kids and ‘healthier’ foods are usually still full of crap anyway.

Upnorthen · 04/10/2022 16:40

I was bought up like this- really strict. I'm afraid it backfired for me and my brothers and sisters. We all have such an obsession with treats and sweet things. People who were bought up differently dont seem to have the same obsession.

SpongeBob2022 · 04/10/2022 16:41

I'm somewhere in the middle I think. DS was fairly healthy day to day but I would have allowed anything going at a party.

He's 8 and we still don't have squash at home though!

Lullabies2Paralyze · 04/10/2022 16:43

Bourbons and custard cremes remind me of my childhood at mothers and toddlers and Sunday school. They are definitely kiddy busicuits especially as you can get supermarket brand ones in large packs for cheap price so great for parties.

ArmWrestlingWithChasNDave · 04/10/2022 16:43

#humblebrag #sanctimoniousmummy #bestparentever #holierthanthou

Prinnny · 04/10/2022 16:45

A lot of the gimmicky ‘healthy’ toddler food is actually higher in sugar, preservatives etc than normal adult food.

Feed your kid what you want, others will feed theres as they want but try avoid labelling food good and bad, it’s not healthy.

kateandme · 04/10/2022 16:46

Let him see there is no good and bad foods.don’t even make it a thing.
start from the off that foods are neutral.ye some have really great benefits for making him strong or helping him run around but don’t be subjecting him to society’s diet culture issues.he will pick up on it.
how you put certain foods on pedastools or say good or bad or restrict him will start his beliefs about them.
allow him all foods.
let him find what tastes he likes.
but also keep doing what your doing regarding giving him the good stuff.giving him balance though is key.
there is zero wrong with ribena or biscuits or crisps.or pizza or fats or sugar or carbs.

00100001 · 04/10/2022 16:47

sparepantsandtoothbrush · 04/10/2022 16:34

They'll be next to the adult biscuits...

Just be sure you don't ask for the Adult Section.

Thesearmsofmine · 04/10/2022 16:48

Kids eat junk food at a party, what a shocker!

YABU

missbipolar · 04/10/2022 16:48

Adult crisps and adult biscuits!? I'm just imaging them all being Penis shaped or something 😂

00100001 · 04/10/2022 16:49

Stickmansmum · 04/10/2022 16:32

It’s not ‘guidelines’ it’s just common sense. And you are right but very foolish to think other people do as careful a job with their kids diets. Welcome to the real world. The longer you can keep your approach to food going the better for your kid. Don’t worry about other peoples.

...the approach of feeding them highly processed and high sugar foods, whilst imagining that they're feeding them a 'better' diet than others??

StarsQuitShining · 04/10/2022 16:51

At 2 my children didn’t eat those things often, but they did at parties or if we were having a day out.

I wouldn’t worry about anyone thinking you’re snobby though, if they do, they’re an arsehole, but I’d maybe relax a bit for things like parties as it’s easier for you and won’t cause any harm. As long as your child is mostly eating a good diet, not eating lots of highly processed foods every day, it’s fine.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

georgarina · 04/10/2022 16:51

I'm confused by the question
They're obviously not missing out on anything good for them by not eating these foods
It's like saying 'I'm under the weekly alcohol allowance, should I up my intake?'

Stressfordays · 04/10/2022 16:52

Always given mine pom bears, quavers or skips instead of gimicky 'baby crisps'. A bourbon biscuit is absolutely fine. I'm really laid back about food and mine will eat anything pretty much. Currently eating ham salad sarnies with a bag of walkers each and they've got a custard doughnut for pudding. All very slim, active kids with good teeth (ages 4, 7 and 10)

kateandme · 04/10/2022 16:54

We really are starting the screwing up peoples views on foods younger and younger aren’t we.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.