My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

“It’s not really about you, I’m impressed with myself that I could sleep with someone like you”

179 replies

PeakyShiner · 04/10/2022 11:25

Said to me by a new boyfriend a week after sleeping together for the first time (after dating for 4 months!). We waited a while because we were really getting to know each other, I find him very respectful and we have a lot in common.

We were talking on the phone and he said something along the lines of “i couldn’t believe it in the morning, it was like a dream”.

I thought he was complimenting me so I just replied jokingly like “well, I do have that effect on people”

He then said, with dead seriousness “no it’s not really about you, it’s more I’m impressed with myself for being able to sleep with someone like you and wake up next to them”

AIBU to think this is a totally weird thing to say to someone?

He’s a very respectful person, and the sex wasn’t objectifying at all. I just don’t know why but it’s made me feel really weird and objectified but I have no idea why…

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

511 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
24%
You are NOT being unreasonable
76%
Honeylover333 · 07/10/2022 01:18

PeakyShiner · 04/10/2022 18:59

Yeah this is articulated much better than what I wrote. That’s exactly what I meant!

I’d still take this as a rather clumsily expressed compliment.

diamondpony80 · 07/10/2022 01:39

Appleblum · 04/10/2022 11:37

Eh? Some people actually think it's a compliment? I thought it sounded like he was putting you down, like he could actually lower himself to sleep with someone like you...

Either way it's weird.

This is exactly how I read it.

Alice786 · 07/10/2022 09:34

I think he seems likes he is more into your looks than your personality. Sounds like a shallow and immature person.

123becauseicouldntthinkofone · 07/10/2022 09:37

Appleblum · 04/10/2022 11:37

Eh? Some people actually think it's a compliment? I thought it sounded like he was putting you down, like he could actually lower himself to sleep with someone like you...

Either way it's weird.

This is how i viewed it to be honest but it is a very weird and ambiguous statement!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.